EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Betzler & Brueckner "TWO" - 8th review

BruecknerAmbient
One of the Coolest Member

germany.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:09 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« hhh » wrote:
Michael,
You continue to impress me with increasingly stronger work. Bravo on "2".
I've been checking out some of your live performances on Youtube. You're inspiring me!

Cheers and congratulations on a wonderful release.

hhh

Oh! Smile Thanks A LOT, Hollan!

Happy You like the new album - considering Your own excellent work, I really see this as a big compliment! Embarassed

Oh, well - those live videos: I fear, some (if not most) of them are a bit messy, both in terms of video and audio qualitiy (maybe sometimes also in terms of performance...). If You can get some inspiration from them: great! But I actually think You deserve bigger stages and lusher setups than these...

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
hhh
Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:22 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« BruecknerAmbient » wrote:

Oh! Smile Thanks A LOT, Hollan!

Happy You like the new album - considering Your own excellent work, I really see this as a big compliment! Embarassed

Oh, well - those live videos: I fear, some (if not most) of them are a bit messy, both in terms of video and audio qualitiy (maybe sometimes also in terms of performance...). If You can get some inspiration from them: great! But I actually think You deserve bigger stages and lusher setups than these...

Michael
Do not underestimate your own talent, my friend. Your passion for music and the sincerity in your approach speaks volumes to your efforts and I applaud you.
Forget sound and audio quality, you are onstage performing! Who among us has ever performed in front of a live audience and not been frozen with fear or buzzing with exhilaration or both?! That you are out there playing live reveals your commitment. That is what inspires me.

As for bigger stages and lusher setups, well, that depends on me learning to play live with any stage setup. Haven't done that since the early 90s. My work is cut out for me.

Anyway, great music, I love it. Very Happy

hhh

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:01 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« hhh » wrote:
Michael
Do not underestimate your own talent, my friend.

OK, OK... Wink

« hhh » wrote:
Your passion for music and the sincerity in your approach speaks volumes to your efforts and I applaud you.

Smile

« hhh » wrote:
Forget sound and audio quality, you are onstage performing! Who among us has ever performed in front of a live audience and not been frozen with fear or buzzing with exhilaration or both?! That you are out there playing live reveals your commitment. That is what inspires me.

Well. Usually it was having a good time with lovely people (and butterflies). Quite a kick, too. I actually wish I could do it much more often...

« hhh » wrote:
As for bigger stages and lusher setups, well, that depends on me learning to play live with any stage setup. Haven't done that since the early 90s. My work is cut out for me.

To be honest, I never learned to play live - one day I decided that it was about time to start it and I jumped into the cold water without knowing if I would be able to swim or not. I guess it's "learning by doing" in my case, at best...

« hhh » wrote:
Anyway, great music, I love it.

hhh

Thanks again! Smile

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:04 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Today, TWO received another (positive!) review, this time by Stephan Schelle for his Musikzirkus online magazine.

It's a quite detailed review - in German - I'd just like to quote / translate his closing remarks:

"Michael Brückner und Tommy Betzler sind mit Unterstützung der beiden Gastmusiker Sammy Davis und Fryderyk Jona eine perfekte Symbiose eingegangen. Herausgekommen ist ein sehr stimmiges, an einigen Stellen sogar rockiges Album, das Appetit auf mehr macht. Da kann ja jetzt Album Nummer 1 kommen. Ein klasse Album!!!"

(MB and TB - with the help of their guest musicians SD and FJ - managed to form a perfect symbiosis. The result is a very coherent, in some places even rocking, album which stirrs the appetite for more. Now "One" can come along. A great album!)

Read the full review here, if You like...

http://musikzirkus-magazin.de/dateien/Pages/CD_Kritiken/elektronik/betzler_und_brueckner_2.htm

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:35 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Already a few days ago, TWO received another rather favorable review, this time on the prog rock review page "Babyblaue Seiten" (in German).

The review is not too long, so here's my humble translation:

---

Michael Brückner had the idea to record a CD with drummer Tommy Betzler since their [first] concert in 2013. The first album of Betzler & Brückner was planned to mainly consist of the concert footage. Meanwhile though, Brückner has created more music for this duo thaut would fit on the first album. Therefore, Brückner has - in his own humorous way - decided to release the second Betzler & Brückner album before the first and to call it fittingly "Two".

The spacey electronic rock of "(Not) Too Late" relies primarily on solo contributions of guitar (played by Sammy David) and synthesizer, which are accompanied by sequencer patterns and drums.

A repetitive piano motif is used in "Two Worlds (Inside One Mirror)" as an introduction to ambient passages which are enhanced by clarinet solos (played by Fryderyk Jona). The original sounding synthesizer solo in the middle also seems to be performed by F. Jona."
[...this was actually a misunderstanding; Fryderyk's Moog solo is the one at the end of that track] "The opening piano motif then returns in several forms and arrangements in order to finally make room for a relaxed electronics jam.

"Gaia" will is opened by ethnically flavoured percussion patterns by Tommy Betzler. The multipart longtrack then turns out to be atmospherical, dreamy electronic excursion. I understand the piece as a slowly changing ambient composition that is carried by sequencer motives, occasional guitar solos in David Gilmour style and decorated by sparkling piano in spacey backdrop.

"Monsoon" with it's dense texture of sequences and (partially) tight rhythm reminds me of Tangerine Dream in the mid / late 80s. This comparison is intended only to indicate the general direction of the piece and shouldn't obscure the fact that Brückner succeeded in putting his own stamp on the whole.

"(One) to the Flame of Hope" to my mind is in some respects (sounds, moods and arrangements used) comparable to Klaus Schulze recordings from the second half of the 70s. Here also the contributions of the clarinet and the drums play a significant role.

The music on "Two" is rather relaxing and free of weird experiments (...in case one is looking for those). On closer listening, the listener will be able to perceive numerous subtleties that are the friends of rather pretty* electronics will probably enjoy.

10 of 15 points.

By Siggy Zielinsky

----

* ..."schöngeistig", hm = Any suggestions for a better translation? The online dictionary gives me "aesthetic" or "belle", which both don't seem to express the meaning well...

You can read the full review here:

http://www.babyblaue-seiten.de/album_15501.html#oben

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:16 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« hhh » wrote:
Michael,
You continue to impress me with increasingly stronger work. Bravo on "2".
I've been checking out some of your live performances on Youtube. You're inspiring me!

Cheers and congratulations on a wonderful release.

hhh

Oh! Very Happy Thanks a lot, Hollan! Happy You think so.

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:20 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Recently, Andreas Eberhardt reviewed TWO for his online music (equipment) magazine buenasideas (in German).

You can read this review here:

http://www.buenasideas.de/2016/two-von-betzler-und-brueckner/

Today I wrote an English translation of this review, for anyone who's interested (but not able to read the German original). Cool

For Your convenience, I just copy / paste the complete translation to here:

-----

TWO by Betzler und Brückner
4 Mai, 2016 in Musik / Musikcheck von Andreas

What happens if a musician who's performing with synthesizers in the first place meets a drummer, a guitarist and a clarinet player? The result is a very interesting album. The CD "TWO" by Michael Brückner and Tommy Betzler - both well known artists in their genre - manages to establish a whole new style, a blend of electronic music that's spiced with a little bit of Krautrock and both experimental as well as classical elements.

Michael Brückner already has recorded a couple of albums and is quite active in the electronic music scene; the fact that he also has a daytime job to make a living is a fate that he unfortunately shares with most other musicians. As long as the market is only dominated by the top acts of the music industry, there will hardly be any room left for unusual and new concepts - at least from a financialy perspective. Making music remains an expensive hobby, and if from time to time a little money is earned, it usually has to be immediately re-invested in instruments and recording equipment. It's, by the way, the same thing for the author of this lines.
If anyone wants to learn more about Michael Brückner, I recommend this Wikipedia entry:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Brückner_(Musiker)

The album entitled "TWO" consists of five tracks. Tommy Betzler played gong, percussion and electronic drums, Michael Brückner is responsible for the synth department and sequence and sound programming. Furthermore, Sammy David contributed electric guitar on track 1 and 3, and Fryderyk Jona played clarinet plus Moog solos and some additional synth parts on track 2 and 5.

Track 1 – (Not) Too Late 12:14

This piece starts off with a powerfull beat followed by a long reverb tail. After the intro arrives a very catchy sequence, soon to be accompanied by synth solos. The drums are recorded live (I suppose) and blends well with the electronic orchestration. The guitar parts remind me a little bit of Grobschnitt - who still remembers this band from Hagen??? In this track You can feel how much fun the three musicians Michael, Tommy and Sammy had to inspire each other musically again and again.

Track 2 - Two Worlds (Inside One Mirror) 9:08

The second track ended up more experimental; it opens with an interesting, slightly exotic sounding bell sequence and keeps building up an ongoing tension. Fryderyk's clarinet solo blends very nicely with the atmosphere, then we hear more percussive synthesizer sounds, followed by a vocoder that - to me - seems slightly out of place (...but that's probably a matter of taste Smile ). The rest of the piece returns to a more accessible mode and slightly reminds me (although I try to avoid such comparisons) of Tangerine Dream, while remaining clearly a Betzler & Brückner effort.

Track 3 – Gaia (A Suite In Two Parts) 25:33

With decent birdsong and percussive elements including a gong the next track sneaks into our ears and takes the listener for 25 minutes on an interesting journey. This piece is well suited to chill out after a hard day. Mr. David Gilmour, guitar player of a rather well known band from the last millenium, couldn't have performed much better here (...oh no: here's another comparison!). The mood that unfolds here is simply fantastic, I wish it came along with a private planetarium or at least some VR glasses with a planetarium app - hmm, that could be a market niche...

Track – 4 Monsoon (Too Soon) 11:08

This slightly oriental flavoured next track starts off very playfully and builds upon a drum track that doesn't sound electronic to me at all and appears to be played live. Unfortunately, these drums get somewhat drowned in the mix as the track unfolds. All in all, this track is very rhythmical and based on interesting sequences which support each other. Towards the end, the arrangement is growing quite dense.

Track – 5 (One) To The Flame Of Hope 20:18

The last piece on the album is my personal favorite, again it starts with a powerful bang, followed by a beautiful soundscape of synth pads which - later joined by clarinette and supported by a sequence - slowly but steadily builds up to a veritalbe eargasm. The playful elements let me discover new details on each repeated listening, and in combination with some spheric choirs, the drums shine much more than in the previous track. A very strong tension keeps building up and one is anticipating it's musical resolution, which inevitably is delivered in the end, however only after a longer quiet break. The clarinet as a recurring element leads the listener to the almost brute finale.

CONCLUSION
This is an album absolutely worth your attention, which - beyond the mainstream - proofs one more time that it can be rewarding to look beyond one's own nose musically.

I really listenend to TWO very often, on my journey to this year's Frankfurt music fair even above the clouds. I can only recommend this album, it carries you into a different world and offers the opportunity to escape from the things that get on our nerves during daily life. And no: TWO is not an album that's suitable for background music, it requires some concentration - but the reward is excellent music for mind, brain and soul.
My recommendation: just put your headphones on and dive into the musical world of Tommy Betzler and Michael Brückner

Andreas Eberhardt, for BuenasIdeas (an online music equipment magazine), May 2016

-----

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:11 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Marc Colling wrote a new review of TWO for the German prog rock review page „Babyblaue Seiten“. And a very favorable review it is this time around (see his last paragraph). Smile Thanks a lot, Marc!

Here’s a (rough) translation of the review:

—---

Siggy [Zielinski in his fist review] has described it aptly: The music actually lives by its simplicity and childlike innocence, as in TWO WORLDS, where that repetitive sound motif makes your brain burst. It also reminds me of the end of the 1970s, when I lived in a francophile environment. There was a dance club where they played mostly French stuff - also from a band named „Space“. This is exactly how the Opener (NOT) TOO LATE sounds like, with it’s synth lead sound reminiscent of this era. Monotonous rhythm combined with whimsical electronic sounds and a sometimes freaked-out guitar, resulting in a high-energy mix. Proggers should not use the word „t ... .bar“ [ danceable ? ]. This trance-inducing rhythm is dangerous, but devilishly good. The more conservative EM listeners with a taste for the forbidden should have easily found access via these two first (of five) tracks via their the memorable and yet [ ? ] interesting melodies.

In GAIA, Betzler shows off all his skills, and even in the hovering and atmospheric soundscapes, he still sets accents with almost inaudible but effective percussion. And then this guitar, which just seems to float over everything! The longtrack takes all the time it needs to unfold it’s dream worlds. The music floats away with the listener in it’s wonderful airiness. In between chirping space sounds wander through the stereo field to the joy of every HiFi fan.

MONSOON is rougher and more hectic, with an aggressive acoustic drum sound that gives the song something archaic.

With the last track, the album says farewell with best greetings from Schulze and Jarre. Nicely done and a beautiful way to close the album for friends of retro electronica.

Thanks to the artist whose CD "Mousic" was my first contact with him and which I have rated rather critically (5/15). In respond he then sent me this example of a completely different side of his work - as a compensation for my agony with "Mousic". His explicit request was to listen to the album and *not* to review it. Sorry, Michael, I could not meet your wish. How did you know exactly what was I missing on "Mousic"?

11 points (of 15)

———

For the original review (in German) see here:

http://www.babyblaue-seiten.de/album_15501.html#25870

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2016 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2017 CBACK.de