EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

KS & Solar Moon System: Ultimate Docking?

Starwalker
One of the Coolest Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:35 pm    KS & Solar Moon System: Ultimate Docking? Reply with quoteBack to top

Anyone know if this is a worthy purchase? i checked the original from the box set on youtube, not sure what to make of it. Just want to hear others opinions of it.
HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
GrahamH
Even more Cool Member

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:33 pm    Re: KS & Solar Moon System: Ultimate Docking? Reply with quoteBack to top

« Starwalker » wrote:
Anyone know if this is a worthy purchase? i checked the original from the box set on youtube, not sure what to make of it. Just want to hear others opinions of it.

I've had the first disc as part of Contemporary Works 1 box set for a number of years. It's not bad, it does have vocals throughout the album which might put a lot of people off. That said it's been a number of years since I actually gave it a listen.

So from memory, not bad, but nothing spectacular either....

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:38 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Well - I'm actually a big fan of the original Solar Moon System album "Logbook 94-00" (which was produced by KS). Brilliant 90ies contemporary chill-out electronica with just the right dose of krautrock flavour via O' Finken's restrained guitar playing mixed in here and there. Many great songs - I really love that!

For the tracks on "Docking" (from CW 1) I like that, too - obviously, as the tracks are longer and are basically typical KS efforts in the vein of what he did around that time (the late 90ies). It's - except for the vocals - more or less in the same style than most of CW 1.

Most of the vocal parts are, as far as I remember, remixes of actual songs from Logbook. So maybe we can say that "Docking" is Klaus' vision (or messing around) with these...

And I have to say: in their shorter, original form I like the songs (as such) much better.

That said, "Docking" is a pleasurable and also (when you compare it to SMS's original album) "academically" interesting listen...

Whether one enjoys it or not will depend on one's attitude to the "contemporary chill-out" sound Klaus was producing at that time.

Then - I've heard that this new release also contains previously unreleased material; I think it might be more in the same vein...

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
xxx440Hz
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:44 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Listened back yesterday.

Very very good one. Pushed Ks in nice new directions.
I love the rather dark ambiance. Nearly lynchean sometimes.
And also the sound. Solar Moon made very nice mixes and mastering. Precise and well done. This was a bit the massive attack of Cologne, no ? I liked less the mixes Tom made for Ks.

Eager to get it.

Starwalker

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:48 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanx for feedback , will give it a go
HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
xxx440Hz
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:05 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Listening to the second CD. I love it . I really like the original. I am so happy to listen to variations. This was so good. Too bad they did not further collaborate....
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:43 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Received my copy just the other day; I think the bonus tracks / versions on CD 2 are quite cool (...of course, I liked the originals in the first place). Cool

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2020 CBACK.de