EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

do you ever run it through an amp and mic it?

foalar

canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:55 pm    do you ever run it through an amp and mic it? Reply with quoteBack to top

I was reading this article, Michael Tretow describing his recording techniques with Abba. it's here: http://web.archive.org/web/20071231171715/http://www.abbamail.com/feature/soundint_feb1980_instudio.htm

I was intrigued that for the instrumental Arrival, he miked a Moog's amp for ambient sound.

"On one song (Arrival) the Moog was picked up by two ambience mics only. To get a 'natural' sound, as if it were a bunch of real instruments playing out in the studio, I moved the amp in the room for every overdub we made, and recorded each harmony in stereo on two tracks. If you listen to the record it's very hard to tell what instrument it is; it sounds like all-metal bagpipes - or something."

I love the idea of ambiguous-sounding instruments - that the listener might not realize what exact instrument is being played, or is not sure whether it's acoustic or electronic, so now I want to try this.

I like to put some tracks low in the mix, so that the listener won't consciously percieve them, but they still add to the overall effect. Also I will use patches other than bass for bass sounds, etc.

Any thoughts?

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:04 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I used to run signals through a Leslie-type cabinet and miked it using a stereo PZM boundary microphone. This proved to be okay, but in an ideal world, you would do this in an acoustically optimised room (which I haven´t got).

Running signals through nice preamps (or sometimes even cheap) can also work miracles, just like using tape saturation.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
ambientlive
One of the Coolest Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:57 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Not acoustic, but you can run synths through guitar pedals, the ones that do cab and amp emulations

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:32 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

This, or use a 4x12" Marshall stack like Jan Hammer did to create his overdriven Mini Moog sound. Your neighbours will love you (a Pignose amp in a sound-proofed box will do as well).

An Ampeg bass-amp is also great on synths.

Stephen

ianboddy
Very Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:41 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I remember doing this ages ago when I was working on The Climb in 1983. I had the advantage then of working at a recording studio so sent the humble TR606 through the PA system and miked up the room and also sent my lead line through a guitar cab situated at the top of a concrete stairwell. It certainly helped to beef up the sound.
HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:53 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

This reminds me of the good old Quincy Jones quote: "It´s only people without rooms who own reverb units."

Stephen

Aaron Marshall

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:23 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, moving air with a speaker sounds great. You can get a lot of different colors.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2018 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2018 CBACK.de