EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

do you ever release everything you record?

Seren
One of the Coolest Member

wales.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:53 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Thought I might dive into the deep end a bit....

While reading this thread I have also been rereading a couple of books - Keys to Avalon and Pendragon.
A little obscure perhaps but without too much detail they are about the history of the myths around 'King Arthur' and the use of originally Welsh source traditions by various political and religious groups to legitimise their own rule and positions over centuries.

It might seem a little irrelevant but this has included the Norman Kings spreading the 'Arthur' stories to cover the whole of the UK rather than just Wales and was part of the reasoning used by an English King to claim precedence over Rome to form the Church of England (so he could ignore the Pope). So perhaps not so obscure after all.
You might also want to consider the location of Princess Diana's burial place in a symbolic manner...
I've long known that incoming religions have tended to use the basis of the previous ones to entrench their own position - such as many UK churches being built upon older 'pagan' sites.

Anyway it made me think of an album I helped create - 'Lament of a Forgotten God' so I listened to it last night.
The album was exploring what happens to gods when their existence is no longer remembered by people. This includes the current traditional Gods as the experience of the Pantheon of capitalism with it's market forces and buy to be happy churches....

There were definitely some things I heard that I would change if doing it now.
I remember that the three spoken word sections, although sounding similar, were created differently because I had only been planning to do one and had not thought to write up how I had done it.
I liked the overall feel and run of the album, the first 2 sections creating slabs of unease whilst the third feels both an inspiration and a challenge.
Where do we dream the sort of dreams that created the paintings of lescaux and built Stonehenge?

I suppose this widens the question a little - as well as why might you listen to your own music, what were you trying to do when you created it?

I always like to know the back story to music I am listening to - which is why the streaming/music player/alexa/mp3 type presentation of music leaves me feeling quite cold / distant / old fashioned

Thoughts and responses welcomed.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
GrahamH
Even more Cool Member

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:46 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Seren » wrote:
I always like to know the back story to music I am listening to - which is why the streaming/music player/alexa/mp3 type presentation of music leaves me feeling quite cold / distant / old fashioned

Thoughts and responses welcomed.

Agreed Seren.

Although these days it's not always possible,
I still prefer to have in my hand an actual CD with artwork,
over an anonymous file on a hard drive.

I also prefer to listen to my music on a hi fi,
through a decent set of speakers, rather than streamed from the internet.

A visual point of reference, such as artwork is important,
and adds to the experience of listening to an album in my opinion. Wink

Seren

wales.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:29 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree - I also find the concept of music 'consumption' rather upsetting....
I don't consume music, I listen to it
I don't consume books, I read them
I don't consume sunrises, I am awed by them
I often don't consume food, I enjoy and savour it.....

VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:44 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« GrahamH » wrote:

It may just be me, but I noticed I hardly ever look at the artwork of a cd anymore. Even though I still prefer a cd (not a cd-r) over a download. That also means I don't know any track titles anymore.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Seren

wales.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:06 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I can't imaging not looking at artwork and sleeve notes - apart from albums I know really well...

GrahamH
Even more Cool Member

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:44 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« VCO1 » wrote:
« GrahamH » wrote:

It may just be me, but I noticed I hardly ever look at the artwork of a cd anymore. Even though I still prefer a cd (not a cd-r) over a download. That also means I don't know any track titles anymore.

I don't study them in great detail the way I used to back when I bought vinyl,
but for me a good album cover often sets the tone for an album.

The track listing is convenient,
and any sleeve notes by the artist are always welcome.... Very Happy

Seren

wales.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:35 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

have we really run out of steam on this already?

Syn
Very Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:13 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Seren » wrote:

it seems to be the case now.

no one likes to talk in-depth about recording, tips and tricks, gear, studio setups etc.

emportal is used only for advertisement purposes. Rolling Eyes

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:02 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Syn » wrote:
« Seren » wrote:

no one likes to talk in-depth about recording, tips and tricks, gear, studio setups etc.

True.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:09 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Syn » wrote:
« Seren » wrote:

It could either be that people are no longer interested in discussing (electronic) music or making music, or that they found other places to do that.
Even the number of advertisements for new music on EMPortal has been limited lately.

GrahamH
Even more Cool Member

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:19 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« VCO1 » wrote:
« Syn » wrote:
« Seren » wrote:

It could either be that people are no longer interested in discussing (electronic) music or making music, or that they found other places to do that.
Even the number of advertisements for new music on EMPortal has been limited lately.

I think it's the latter,
as there are a number of EM groups on Facebook.

I still like coming here as well though.... Wink

Russell Storey
Even more Cool Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:57 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

i have plenty of music i have never released tracks that have never been completed,tracks that are complete but just not suited for any new album i am working on.sometimes several tracks will just fit together well for an album and sometimes i will have a concept for an album and deliberately try to make appropriate tracks.over a number of years i was a frequent contributor to the awakenings series of compilation albums all of those tracks were different tracks to anything appearing on my solo albums.
as for listening to my own music i do go back and listen sometimes.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Seren

wales.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:08 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Any body else fancy discussing any of their music in more detail?

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:25 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Seren » wrote:
Any body else fancy discussing any of their music in more detail?

Any time... Wink

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2018 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2018 CBACK.de