EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Cosmic Hoffmann -- gone but not forgotten

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:50 pm    Cosmic Hoffmann -- gone but not forgotten Reply with quoteBack to top

Around this time last year -- it was 14th October --, I was on my way home from Hanover where I had taken my Prophet to be fixed. While driving home, all of a sudden I was feeling an incessant urge to dig out an old and unreleased track Klaus and I had recorded back in 1996 when warming up for the "Traces" recordings. At home, I found the DAT and transferred it to my hard-drive, thinking "this is actually quite nice, maybe I should release it".

Later that evening -- it was about bedtime -- I was browsing EM Portal, just to discover Bernhard's message about Klaus' passing -- I was deeply shocked (and still am) and could hardly find any sleep that night. For some reason, his family did not want his death to be announced, and the book of condolences over at Schallwelle disappeared without a trace, just like the MoM and Cosmic Hoffmann websites. In some way, it resembled the way Klaus himself would refer to Cheech and Chong's "Up in Smoke"...

In the course of the past year, I kept coming across things Klaus had left behind in the 28 years we had known each other -- postcards, letters, recordings, the infamous "Herbert Schmidt Show" tapes, promotional material from his own musical past and of his bands Impulse and Archaeopteryx, pictures taken when we were walking the forests near his home, things he had brought from his journeys to India, and of course -- the Mellotron.

Even though we parted ways at some point, musically, I miss him dearly.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
BruecknerAmbient
One of the Coolest Member

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:03 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for sharing Your memories and thoughts, Stephen.

I only ever encountered Klaus for one brief moment - I really wish I had had the chance to get to know him better...

Last edited by BruecknerAmbient on Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:22 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

https://twitter.com/emportal

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:05 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Last time I read about him in the news:

Stephen

Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:08 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:51 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Probably the best MoM gig ever, since everything was played absolutely live, warts and all:

Joseph (the bloke in the middle) saved the day more often than once with his brillant musicianship and his nimble fingers.

Stephen

waveman2.3
Even more Cool Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:25 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

By reading this I am impressed about the number of friends Klaus realy made over the years, thank you Stephen. And then Udo Hanten who could'nt stop thinking about this good man. I know Stephe, you where pretty close to Klaus aswell Udo, Udo send me some private music he made with Klaus. Think about releasing the music you made with him.
OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:22 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Live at UFO Club Eaton, May 1999:

This was the concert "Space Arbour" and "Interstellar Rollercoaster" were recorded at.

Stephen

Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:55 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:56 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:59 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:10 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

De Wending, geweldig!

That's exactly the picture of Klaus' that I had been looking for for ages, manning Carl Deseyn's Vangelis Memorial Corner Smile.

Thanks for posting.

Stephen

Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:06 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

‘not forgotten’

you’re welcome Stephen

Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:48 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2018 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2018 CBACK.de