EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

in memoriam John Kelly aka ‘sparrow’

Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:55 pm    in memoriam John Kelly aka ‘sparrow’ Reply with quoteBack to top

Three Kings Day, twelve days after Christmas we celebrate the visit of the three wise men to the infant Jesus.

While I am writing these lines I am looking at a picture of a smiling middle aged man, not a king but a friendly looking man with a dog, a man that loved fishing and had a passion for the ‘Music of the Future’. A man whom I never met.

Yesterday I had a brief chat with a fellow member and we exchanged the usual wishes. After our conversation he finalized his message informing me that the man on the photo passed away September last year.

John Kelly aka ‘sparrow’ 54 yr, suffered from cancer, battled but lost the fight.

John was a registered member since April 2007 just after the start of EMPortal. I remember the technical problems which initially prevented him to enter the site, I remember our conversations in order to get access and how driven he was to become part of the new community. In the 10 years that followed he posted thousands of messages during his countless visits and in a certain way became one of the assets to the forum.

Despite the fact that we never met it feels like I lost somebody, somebody with the same passion and the drive to share his thoughts in public.

Like Edgar Froese once said: “There is no death, there is just a change of our cosmic address”

Farewell John, it was nice to have met you…

“Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world’s great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.”

https://twitter.com/emportal

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
thirdsystem
One of the Coolest Member

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:12 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh no, this is terrible news.

Spoke to John on here and the TD forum. We shared a love of EM and similar music tastes and also Scottish Fitba.

I am very, very sad to hear this.

RIP John my fellow Scot.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Syn
Very Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:27 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

RIP John, from another fellow Scot.

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
GrahamH
Even more Cool Member

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:48 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Didn't recognise the name at first,
but I definitely recognise Sparrow from both here and the TD forum from several years ago.

Very sad news indeed.

RIP

RemoteViewing81

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:12 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

RIP Sparrow!

Sad

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:09 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

This is very sad! Sad

John was to me not only a fellow member here, but also a good FB friend, and for some time, we had a rather close and regular thought exchange...

Months ago, he had told me that he was suffering from cancer; he was very much on my mind from then on.

However our contact grew more sporadic over time, both due to his progressing disease, but also to the stress I was under for most of 2018 because of my new daytime job.

I had a vague feeling something wasn't right for some time, but it took me until now - the free days around Chrismas and New Year - to visit his FB page again - where I learned that he already had left us on in late September; I regret not doing it earlier now...

Such a friendly and also generous person - may he rest in peace. I will keep him in good memory!

Crying or Very sad

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Alvaro

spain.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:10 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Very sad news Sad

Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:24 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

RIP Sparrow. I remember him from the forums.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Polysix
Very Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:41 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

So sorry to hear. I know he posted on here regularly. Far too young to pass away Sad

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2019 CBACK.de