EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Johannes Schmoelling interview

Jon
One of the Coolest Member

norway.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:28 pm    Johannes Schmoelling interview Reply with quoteBack to top

http://www.johannesschmoelling.de/?fbclid=IwAR0cKRaN17uLXXmXSGbwmDZGB15wZ3Nxy7TbAVo3cyzA5mWBVJjUo9l3g2s

1. He doesn't know how to get in touch with Franke, but he wants to.

2. There is no bad blood between him and Jerome. Loom may do more stuff.

3. He does not like or respect the current version of TD.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:45 pm    Re: Johannes Schmoelling interview Reply with quoteBack to top

« Jon » wrote:
3. He does not like or respect the current version of TD.

Although I don’t dislike their music (it’s pleasant to the ear so to say) I have a feeling it’s not very sincere. I keep having the impression that they’re doing this only for the money. But since I don’t know any of the members of the band that’s just speculating on my side of course,

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:06 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Finally had the time to fully read the interview. As is to be expected from Johannes Schmoelling, his answers are deliberate. His answers on White Eagle and improvisation were especially insightful.
Thanks for sharing, Jon.

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:57 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« VCO1 » wrote:
As is to be expected from Johannes Schmoelling, his answers are deliberate. His answers on White Eagle and improvisation were especially insightful.

Well, I found it interesting how much he stressed that his compositions are "Made for Eternity" - at least, he doesn't seem to suffer from low self esteem. Good for him... Wink

As for "White Eagle" - I can understand that he's displeased that they modified his original chord sequence. But it's still a track from TD's catalogue, and not a solo composition of his, and looking at other bands (which had a changing line-up over the years) they partly also have revisited or re-arranged older pieces.
And who knows? Maybe TD, with Edgar still in the band, have already changed the track before Thorsten's arrival?

But speculation aside, I think without saying it completely straight away, he apparently wants to suggest that the current TD members are musically incompetent (also when he speaks about improvisation), and while he may have his reasons for that (which don't need to be musical, maybe he felt that he was treated badly...) this is something where I can't follow him:

Whether or not one personally enjoys the music of the current line-up (or for example by PPM) I think it's obvious that Q and crew are good musicians, and that especially Q is a very competent composer and arranger. Personally, a lot of Quaeschning's music (and I speak of the obvious compositions - as opposed to improvisations) impresses me much more than Schmoelling's work (and please note that I'm not an enthusiastic fan of either of them).

As for improvisation:
A big part of TDs "classic" work before Tangram is, as we all know, based on improvisation - and it's those albums that made TD a big name, so Schmoelling should be grateful for that, because otherwise he never got that particular job... Rolling Eyes

Now, as we know, many fans called for a return of TD "back to the 70s".
Many fans also doubted (or still doubt) the new line-up.

So, at one point they just did it - the first "new" jam. And fans loved it.
And therefore they kept it, and I since read a lot of positive opinions and reviews about those improvisations.

It's also the part of the new TD I'm personally interested in - and which impresses me the most!
Actually I think that these improvisations often are better than many other EM artist's compositions...

So, (many) fans love it, reviewers too and they are really (musically) cool (better than some improvisations back from the 70s actually).
So suggesting the jams are musically bad and they just play as fillers because they had no other material is, excuse me, ridiculous.

I saw TD live in 2008, already with Q, and they played a whole show with (sometimes not very amazing) compositions, with no improvisation (except for Edgar on guitar for five minutes or so) - obviously, they don't lack material and don't need the improvisation as "filler", or whatever...

Last edited by BruecknerAmbient on Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:02 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

You saw TD in 2018 with Edgar? Shocked

About JS stuff for eternity, I actually think his best solo stuff is indeed very good, like some of the Wuivend Riet stuff for instance,

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
cyberiad2001
Very Cool Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:27 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Ah. Sorry for the blank post a while ago, here's what i was writing Smile. Reading the interview, I think that Johannes does not mean that he thinks US and TQ are not-so-good as musicians. I got the impression that he thinks they just don't care. So perhaps it is a hint from Johannes on what he thinks are the main motivations behind the new TD?

Last edited by cyberiad2001 on Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:36 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Jon » wrote:
You saw TD in 2018 with Edgar? Shocked

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I wish I indeed had - but of course, it's just a typo, and it was in 2008 instead.
Will fix it above...

« Jon » wrote:
About JS stuff for eternity, I actually think his best solo stuff is indeed very good, like some of the Wuivend Riet stuff for instance,

Yes, very good - no doubt about that!

But then again, there are other artists who are better still Wink and make no such claims - and there were (I guess) many thoughout history who are already forgotten by now...

But don't get me wrong: if Johannes' musical heritage will live on, that's perfectly OK to me. All good wishes to him!

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2019 CBACK.de