EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

neuland - baumann and haslinger

VCO1
One of the Coolest Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:02 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

One thing is for sure. Ordering from the USA is not an option. Just had a look and including shipping this (double) cd would cost me $39.27.
OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Audioot
Even more Cool Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:37 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« VCO1 » wrote:
« Audioot » wrote:
Groove will have it I guess.

Thanks. I noticed they mentioned in their newsletter. Not quite clear how much stock they'll get and if they still have copies left if I order it now.

Smile nothing easier than a phonecall I guess:
http://www.grooveunlimited.nl/contact

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
electrobs

sweden.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:46 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Unfortunately the BR/DVD is a big dissapointment - one track is missing (Voices from The Past) - yet, it is listed on the cover, and it is almost 10 minutes shorter (VftP is only 5:50 minutes long) - so, probably the other tracks (or at least some of them) are shortened! I am very, very dissapointed! Sad
Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:28 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« electrobs » wrote:
Unfortunately the BR/DVD is a big dissapointment - one track is missing (Voices from The Past) - yet, it is listed on the cover, and it is almost 10 minutes shorter (VftP is only 5:50 minutes long) - so, probably the other tracks (or at least some of them) are shortened! I am very, very dissapointed! Sad

What’s your opinion about the music?

https://twitter.com/emportal

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
cyberiad2001
Very Cool Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:04 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Vignoble @ Co. » wrote:
« electrobs » wrote:

i chime in here unashamedly ��

I think it is a very interesting album and somehow very strange stuff in the sense that it doesn't seem to cater musically for a certain audience (unlike the modern version of TD, of which i just can't shake the feeling that they are constantly trying to please as large portion of TD fans as possible, sort of a musical prison of legacy). Neuland's album is a sort of box of aural treasures but they are mostly hidden from the first glance... Most of the tracks have short segments that are as good as anything you have heard from the guys, but they suddenly steer for long abstract and more esoteric sections and they rarely revisit those instantly catching segments... But on repeated plays and especially on headphones, this album really takes you to places. So it is surprisingly challenging stuff and certainly a very rewarding album for a longer time i hope. A bit like a collection of bits and pieces, that work together better than you thought after cursory listening. Peter's input is instantly recognizable, Paul's is just as important, but totally unlike anything he did with TD (which isn't a bad thing).

I really can't be bothered with minor differences between the BR and CD versions... All in all, it is a huge collection of interesting and very fresh music...

electrobs

sweden.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:26 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Vignoble @ Co. » wrote:
« electrobs » wrote:

I can only second cyberiad2001’s opinion. I think too that is an interesting album, fully electronic (That’s very important for me - i tolerate guitars on electronic albums, but never liked guitars). Compared with the tones of electronic music which i listened to on BC for ex. it’s much better (no, i will not give You names, they are way tooooooooo many). Not so Ambient IMHO as many are saying. For me It’s a strong 7-8/10 album (and That’s good nowadays - compared with the tones of TD s**t output or Jarre s**t output). For me way better than anything Jarre made in the last 20 years or the TD tribute band made since Edgar’s death). I hear many Baumann-sounds in it and i like very much Baumann’s 3 main albums (Romance, Transharmonic & Machines of Desire) - so it can’t be a wrong album for me!

Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:01 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

@cyberiad2001: some wise words there! Thx for your input Ami

@electrobs: that sounds already better than your previous remark Wink

https://twitter.com/emportal

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:37 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm just having my first listen while I type this (via YT, until I get the CD which for sure I will), and I'm really impressed - everything I heard yet fulfils the high expectations kindled by the initial trailer (although "Cascade 39" still may be favorite from the album, along with "Counting on Time" maybe...).

The somewhat subdued, unhurried yet intense overall atmosphere appeals a lot to me.

The music is slightly minimalistic, yet effective and to the point - quite elegant and mature. I like the balance between the more accessible and more experimental passages, and how the accessible moments still have a lot of depth and the experimental ones still transport a lot of atmosphere.
Very cool!

It's also cool that the album never seems to shout "we once were in TD" but sounds quite fresh and contemporary and timeless just the same.
In fact I'm tempted to say that I find it better than any TD album after "Stratosfear" - well, in any case better than any after "Tangram" (but also better than any of Peter's solo albums as far as I'm familiar with them; in Paul's case, I'm not so sure - I adore the Lightwave albums he was involved in, but I don't know how big is input was..).

So, better than TD, except maybe for some of The Sessions - which leads me to the next point...

...I'm happy for Peter and Paul that the Neuland album turned out great, but I'm a bit tired of the ongoing bashing of the three guys who carry on under the TD flag these days - for they are great musicians in their own right, and even if I say I probably enjoy Neuland more, Thorsten did great work in bringing TD back to a high level again after their least impressive period, and today TD - especially live - is top notch again.
I also can't really understand why it should be a bad thing to serve TD fans what they are longing for (as Ami remarked), at least as long as the dish is tasty - and especially The Sessions series is really great stuff (of course a bit different of what Neuland has to offer, but that's a plus to me, because I enjoy both...).

Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:34 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

The three GUYS in TD? Wow, is there something I should know, as Duran Duran put it? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:36 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« electrobs » wrote:

So, is there one BR and one DVD with the same music?

thirdsystem

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:37 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Well I am looking forward to the blu-ray. It arrived a couple of days from CDS in Dundee. I have however decided to leave it till Christmas as it is a present from my wife / Santa Smile

I agree with Michael above regarding the constant negativity from some about TD. Unfortunately it has been present on here for years from some. I try not to get involved to be honest and that is all I will say... apart from these Sessions releases are excellent. TD have certainly returned to a more analogue 70s vibe but with a fresh feel. It seems that even that is not good enough for some folk, however each to their own and opinions are just that, opinions.

I will also say Thorsten is one of my favourite musicians, supremely talented and one of the longest serving members of TD.

Rapsodies

france.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:59 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« thirdsystem » wrote:

I agree with Michael above regarding the constant negativity from some about TD. Unfortunately it has been present on here for years from some. I try not to get involved to be honest and that is all I will say... apart from these Sessions releases are excellent. TD have certainly returned to a more analogue 70s vibe but with a fresh feel. It seems that even that is not good enough for some folk, however each to their own and opinions are just that, opinions.

I will also say Thorsten is one of my favourite musicians, supremely talented and one of the longest serving members of TD.

I couldn't agree more. I have the first four Sessions albums and, to me at least, the good years are back, with the addition of a positively modern vibe. I love those albums and I also love Thorsten's Munich Session, which I bought on Qobuz.

cyberiad2001
Very Cool Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:13 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I think it is not the music that is the problem for some, regarding the new Tangerine Dream. The continuation of the dream, making music which is clearly modeled to suit the trademark by new people, who were not part of the TD that made that mark, might be the sore point. It´s all in the name, I think Smile... On the other hand, I think we will be seeing KW continuing without Ralf Hutter in the near future, so they are not alone.

GrahamH
Even more Cool Member

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:56 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« cyberiad2001 » wrote:
I think it is not the music that is the problem for some, regarding the new Tangerine Dream. The continuation of the dream, making music which is clearly modeled to suit the trademark by new people, who were not part of the TD that made that mark, might be the sore point. It´s all in the name, I think Smile... On the other hand, I think we will be seeing KW continuing without Ralf Hutter in the near future, so they are not alone.

That pretty much sums it up for me. The music (what I've heard) is good, but IMHO when Edgar Froese passed away, that should have been an end to Tangerine Dream, with perhaps the exception of any unreleased or archive material.

It's only an opinion, and I wouldn't wish to fall out with any TD fans over it, but continuing under the banner of Tangerine Dream does not sit well with me. Neutral

Kraftwerk have almost become their own tribute group. I've seen them live twice, and have been listening to them for a VERY long time (longer than Tangerine Dream), but how many times can they keep playing the same songs? Rolling Eyes

electrobs

sweden.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:26 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« GrahamH » wrote:
« cyberiad2001 » wrote:

That pretty much sums it up for me. The music (what I've heard) is good, but IMHO when Edgar Froese passed away, that should have been an end to Tangerine Dream, with perhaps the exception of any unreleased or archive material.

It's only an opinion, and I wouldn't wish to fall out with any TD fans over it, but continuing under the banner of Tangerine Dream does not sit well with me. Neutral

Kraftwerk have almost become their own tribute group. I've seen them live twice, and have been listening to them for a VERY long time (longer than Tangerine Dream), but how many times can they keep playing the same songs? Rolling Eyes

Exactly this is my problem too! I don’t like att all the music made by this 2 guys (and a girl), but if they are not doing it under the TDs name i can ignore them (like i ignore many hundreds of other tribute bands / epigons), but they are continuing something which they don’t have right to continue (IMHO of course). We never saw a proof that Edgar wanted this. For me the actual TD is just a bunch of session musicians or a tribute band, only because Bianca want to continue something which She didn’t have right to continue! If they are so good, if Edgar has left so many hours of music, sketches, why are they didn’t Come out with some materials, original compositions (the Q/Sc album is absolutely forgettable for me - if this is everything that they can do is not very much for me). Why i call them a Tribute Band? What are they doing? Recycling old materials mainly from the FFB or FFS periods, adding to them “some stinky flavours”, + a Session which has always almost the same sequencer patterns, which almost never builds-up properly. I think that US is make it because He always wanted to be a part of TD, and TQ is making it because so He can reach fame, otherwise He would be just another German musician without international fame. Bianca is making it for TDs name and the money. I think that all this has nothing to do with Edgar and is a great disrespect toward Him! That’s MY opinion ...

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2020 CBACK.de