EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Hollan Holmes interview by Christian Burcea

BruecknerAmbient
One of the Coolest Member

germany.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:04 pm    Hollan Holmes interview by Christian Burcea Reply with quoteBack to top

Christian Burcea conducted a very interesting in-depth audio interview with Hollan Holmes for his excellent blog "Journeys to the Infinite" (...as some of You may know, Steve Roach recently released a compilation album with Christian's selections under that title).

It's a great listen, and you also get to hear big parts of Hollan's new album in the background...

https://www.journeystotheinfinite.com/post/hollan-holmes-milestones-and-beyond

Last edited by BruecknerAmbient on Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:46 pm    Re: Hollan Holmes interview by Christian Burcea Reply with quoteBack to top

« VCO1 » wrote:

Quite interesting. Not that I would have thought that a musician of Hollan's stature would need any advise. On the other hand, I personally always was happy about any honest feedback to my own music while it's in the making, and often wished I had more of that (well, feel free to agree to that Laughing ).
But basically working closely together with an experienced, objective (and well-meaning) counterpart in such a way can be a great thing.

« VCO1 » wrote:

Well, I don't know which parts You've listened to (and of course it's always a matter of taste). I for one liked a lot what I've heard. Well, I too thought it's a bit different than his previous albums, but rather in a good, refreshing way. A bit more edge to it. Then again still in the vain of what I liked about his music in the first place. "The Farthest Fringes" and "Phase Shift" being my favorites by him still, I thought the new one was an improvement over "Prayer to the Energy" and "Incandescent" (which I consider very good albums, too - I just had the impression he was repeating his formula a bit on those...).

« VCO1 » wrote:

Ummm. No problem to order the album here (of course, shipping is expensive, but that's not SP's fault, is it...?). Also available as download...

https://spottedpeccary.com/shop/milestones/

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:05 pm    Re: Hollan Holmes interview by Christian Burcea Reply with quoteBack to top

« VCO1 » wrote:

Unfortunately, it also works the other way round -- shipping rates in Europe have been increased to an extent that it is as good as pointless to offer physical releases for sale internationally.

One good reason to be even more grateful to those die-hard supporters from across the Big Pond who do not feel deterred by that.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:20 am    Re: Hollan Holmes interview by Christian Burcea Reply with quoteBack to top

« VCO1 » wrote:

Well - correct. It's twice as much as the actual price of the CD. The relation would be, I guess, a bit better if one orders two or three albums on that occasion. Of course, any "casual" listener won't do that. Still a fan and supporter might. I actually did that before - in Hollan's case, ordering directly from him (Incandescent). And did it many times in the case of Robert Rich, because I want him to get all the cash, with no middle-men... Rolling Eyes

Of course, I can't afford to do that all the time, and for any artist. But in other cases, I just go for the download. Nothing wrong with that for me...

« dronescape » wrote:
« VCO1 » wrote:

Unfortunately, it also works the other way round -- shipping rates in Europe have been increased to an extent that it is as good as pointless to offer physical releases for sale internationally.

Indeed. All messed up since January 2019... Confused

« dronescape » wrote:
One good reason to be even more grateful to those die-hard supporters from across the Big Pond who do not feel deterred by that.

I second that!

Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:48 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Guys, I don’t want to spoil your ‘party’ or interrupt this ‘interesting’ conversation but it took me exactly 10 secs to find a reasonable way to purchase Mr. Holmes’ releases and if you can find the patience; once a month this company ships free of charge...

check here

https://twitter.com/emportal

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:54 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Vignoble @ Co. » wrote:
Guys, I don’t want to spoil your ‘party’ or interrupt this ‘interesting’ conversation but it took me exactly 10 secs to find a reasonable way to purchase Mr. Holmes’ releases and if you can find the patience; once a month this company ships free of charge...

check here

VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:19 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

check here

C'est le ton qui fait la musique...

All my posts and references have been removed as it seems we don't want a discussion here.

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:40 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« VCO1 » wrote:

check here

All my posts and references have been removed as it seems we don't want a discussion here.

Shocked I, for one, didn't mind the discussion...
And I hope my tone wasn't inappropriate. If so, I apologize.

VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:05 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« BruecknerAmbient » wrote:
« VCO1 » wrote:

check here

Shocked I, for one, didn't mind the discussion...
And I hope my tone wasn't inappropriate. If so, I apologize.

Not yours.

CompactDiscMP3
Cool Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:53 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Got to thank the OP for linking to the interview. It's a rare thing for me to buy an album, based on a interview. Even though I already had the rest of his discography, I think HH did his best to convince me again.
(I even downloaded the WAV version, to record the album to cassette, as a Corona-era pastime activity)

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:11 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« CompactDiscMP3 » wrote:
Got to thank the OP for linking to the interview. It's a rare thing for me to buy an album, based on a interview. Even though I already had the rest of his discography, I think HH did his best to convince me again.
(I even downloaded the WAV version, to record the album to cassette, as a Corona-era pastime activity)

VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:46 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

check here

And I don't want to spoil your party either. But I did order a recent Spotted Peccary album at JPC. Something that [i/was[/i] in their catalogue and had a delivery time of 1-2 weeks. And guess what? This morning I got an e-mail from JPC that they couldn't deliver. Reason: not available at manufacturer. Which is BS (no, not Berlin School) as it's a 2019 release that's readily available at SP's website.

So, be careful. Not everything that's in their catalogue can actually be delivered. Even if it says so.

Thanks, but no thank.

Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:52 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« VCO1 » wrote:

check here

And I don't want to spoil your party either. But I did order a recent Spotted Peccary album at JPC. Something that [i/was[/i] in their catalogue and had a delivery time of 1-2 weeks. And guess what? This morning I got an e-mail from JPC that they couldn't deliver. Reason: not available at manufacturer. Which is BS (no, not Berlin School) as it's a 2019 release that's readily available at SP's website.

So, be careful. Not everything that's in their catalogue can actually be delivered. Even if it says so.

Thanks, but no thank.

What can I say…

Apart from giving you the ‘wrong’ information and offering you my apologies you probably have chosen the wrong momentum to order a US import shipment however my experience with this company is excellent.

Of course there is always a possibility to file an official complaint based on this bad experience. In that case I advise you to contact JPC directly Wink

Good luck

https://twitter.com/emportal

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2020 CBACK.de