EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Duncan Mackay

Victor Meldrew
One of the Coolest Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:02 am    Duncan Mackay Reply with quoteBack to top

He of 'Score' and 'Visa' fame.
OfflineView user's profileSend private messageAIM Address    
Wallace the Lad

canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:08 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

You did not mention the best of all: Chimera.
OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
fluXusmusic

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:04 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Among my first experiences of electronic music was seeing Duncan Mackay on the British kids TV program 'Magpie', must have been about 1979 or '80. (I was barely into double figures.)
He had wheeled a huge rack of gear into the TV studio, and to demonstrate he set a fast sequence running, and then solo'd over and transposed it with something he called a 'Moog Liberation'. I was astounded, and have remembered that ever since.

I bought Visa in a record store a few years after, and love it. I found Score in a junk shop a few years lafter that. Neither sound anything like I remember him playing on that TV spot.

Audioot
Even more Cool Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:41 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Found a very recent album of him on Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2pmmYFNAkE

See also his FB page: https://www.facebook.com/DuncanMackayMusician/

My first hearing him was on Camel's excellent Nude album where he did keyboards.

Timanfaya
Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:26 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Audioot » wrote:
My first hearing him was on Camel's excellent Nude album where he did keyboards.

Aha! I thought he sounded familiar.

Gmhfd

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:41 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« fluXusmusic » wrote:
Among my first experiences of electronic music was seeing Duncan Mackay on the British kids TV program 'Magpie', must have been about 1979 or '80. (I was barely into double figures.)
He had wheeled a huge rack of gear into the TV studio, and to demonstrate he set a fast sequence running, and then solo'd over and transposed it with something he called a 'Moog Liberation'. I was astounded, and have remembered that ever since.

Yes I remembered seeing him on a kids tv show, it made a big impression on me too. I always thought it was the runaround show on itv With Mike Reid (eastenders one not the DJ). I searched on YouTube the other day and some has uploaded the very clip (which also features metal micky) and it is exactly as you described it.

I Have never listened to any of Duncans music but Im a big fan of the work he did on camels nude album, some beautiful analogue pads and a great solo on the track lies.

fluXusmusic

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:02 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Ah yes! That's him, allright! Thank you!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZdVb9XXaqc
Now, I may well be mis-remembering, since it's so long ago, but I still think it was Magpie that I saw, with the presenter Mick, and Duncan Mackay had longer.
Maybe he was doing the rounds of ITV.

Paul

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:47 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Duncan Mackay is one of my all time keyboard heroes. He played in Steve Harley's Cockney Rebel, Alan Parsons Project, Camel and many other bands. I consider him als almost of the same capability as people like Rick Wakeman, Keith Emerson and Patrick Moraz. Chimera, his first soloalbum, sounds almost like Emerson, Lake & Palmer. Visa sadly was never released on cd. Recently, he made a new solorecord, Kintsugi, which is very good.
thirdsystem
One of the Coolest Member

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:16 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Well I like Cockney Rebel and that Camel Nude album is superb. Was unaware of Duncan Mackay though. I occasionally watched Magpie as a very young lad, superb theme tune Cool but must have missed that episode.

There are a few albums on Spotify btw, listening to Chimera now.

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2020 CBACK.de