EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

LANKOW & BR├ťCKNER - Segmented Vision, Review 5

BruecknerAmbient
One of the Coolest Member

germany.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:09 am    LANKOW & BR├ťCKNER - Segmented Vision, Review 5 Reply with quoteBack to top

Dear listeners, friends & supporters,

the new album "Segmented Vision" by Berlin based percussionist and soundscaper Volker Lankow and myself has been released today via both out Bandcamp pages.
It's available as digital download (optionally 24 bit) and high quality CD-r (again with marvellous cover artwork by American painter Paul Nicholson!).
The physical version starts shipping around June 14th.

https://volkerlankow.bandcamp.com

https://michaelbrueckner.bandcamp.com

The story of "Segmented Vision" started in 2017, when Volker, Bernhard Woestheinrich (centrozoon, The Redundant Rocker) and myself played a gig together in a small caf├ę in Berlin.
There were plans to release a live recording which failed due to technical problems. Instead, we wanted to record a studio album based on the material I had prepared for the concert.

Due to various other obligations of everyone involved however, the project was put on the backburner. Only in late 2019, I lifted it from the vaults again. Volker recorded his parts in early 2020, and I added some further touches in March. Finally, musician and sound engineer Michael Prawos mastered the results - very skillfully and carefully.

Thank You very much for Your attention and enjoy the music! Smile

Last edited by BruecknerAmbient on Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:24 pm; edited 5 times in total

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:24 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

As the physical edition of this album soon will be ready to ship, here are pictures of the complete cover artwork, all with paintings by Paul Nicholson.

If you are interested in a copy, and live in the USA, Canada or Australia, please note that at the moment, it's unfortunately still not possible to ship goods to your countries due to restrictions during the Corona health crises (and perhaps also other political reasons in case of the US). If anyone from those countries places an order now, of course the CDs will ship out as soon as possible (whenever that will be - hopefully soon...).

We also consider to have them produced in (and shipped from) the US, but we still need time to determine if this option really is going to work...

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:18 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Uwe Sa├če was the first to review the new album for his online magazine "Sequenzerwelten".

Read Uwe's original (German) review following this link, or my rough English translation below:

http://www.sequenzerwelten.de/brueckner_main.html

Volker Lankow & Michael Br├╝ckner - Segmented Vision

Good tribal ambience is becoming more and more popular. Be it a collaboration of Steve Roach & Byron Metcalf, or Volker Lankow & Michael Br├╝ckner Smile

I love to listen to this combination of ambient sounds and crisp percussions again and again. Michael and Volker have already proven on the album "Monsoon Offerings" that they harmonize well musically.
However, "Segmented Vision" offers more "active" than "passive" music, there is less time for dreaming. Percussions dominate more and therefore the listener should be prepared for more exciting music.

Here again the versatility of Michael Br├╝ckner shows and it seems that Michael feels at home in all styles of electronic music.
Unfortunately I can't say anything more about Volker Lankow at the moment, because I hadn't heard his solo music intensively yet.
As far as the -Segmented Vision- is concerned, his percussion playing is really great and I can recommend this CD with a clear conscience Smile

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:31 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Reviewer Siggy Zielinski from the online prog magazine "Babyblaue Seiten" wrote a detailed and positive review of "Segmented Vision"! ^_^

Find Siggy's original review (in German) here, or my (rough) English translation below:

http://www.babyblaue-seiten.de/album_18897.html#oben

Berlin-based percussionist and soundscaper (that's what he's called in the CD booklet, apparently the term, which is unknown to me in this context, refers to a musician who creates soundscapes) Volker Lankow and electronic musician Michael Br├╝ckner met in 2015, when Lankow was rehearsing with Br├╝ckner and Matthias Br├╝ssel, another electronic musician.

In 2018, Br├╝ckner, Lankow and Bernhard W├Âstheinrich (known to some perhaps as a solo artist and member of Centrozoon) gave an improvised performance in Berlin. The three gentlemen then considered joint releases as a trio, but nothing came of it. In 2019, Michael Br├╝ckner began to sift through the then unused material with the idea of a possible duo album with Lankow.

And lo and behold, this became the present segmented vision, more precisely a duo CD by Br├╝ckner and Lankow with the English title "Segmented Vision". The title probably refers to the fact that the ten musical segments are supposed to form a vision, a single composition after all. What vision the musicians had in mind is not known to me. Maybe of a peaceful and a colourful world. The music is peaceful, but the artwork is colourful (and extremely so).

Musically, "Segmented Visions" offers a very tastefully and well-balanced arranged electronic music, which can be described quite accurately with the keywords "Berlin School", chill-out and ambient. Besides the sequencer motifs reminding of Klaus Schulze (or maybe M. Br├╝ckner), you can also hear the Mellotron flutes, which again could be from one of the best works of Tangerine Dream. In addition, there is always the invigorating - sometimes rather meditative - percussion playing of Volker Lankow. In the quieter moments, I feel reminded of "Dreamtime Return" by Steve Roach.

Most of the album's time was probably spent on the spherical, thoughtful passages. Or it just seems like it. (It's long known that electronic and ambient musicians don't always look at the clock when they do their art. Also "Segmented Vision" is nothing for people with a short attention span).
There are also real ambient parts that - by definition - can become a hardly noticeable part of the environment. It's definitely worthwhile to take a moment to look inside yourself to discover and appreciate all the subtleties of "Segmented Vision". But if you don't want to relax too much, you can concentrate on the numerous excellent sequencer passages of the album. Most of all, I like the melodic sequencer motifs as soon as they appear, such as these in "Segment IV", or "Segment VIII".

In spite of the possible inspirations one should not forget to mention that the synthesizer work of Michael Br├╝ckner also has the characteristics and subtleties that identify him as an independent personality.

In the currently very difficult world situation, the music of "Segmented Vision", presumably conceived for a better world, seems to be best suited as soul therapy. All the better if you can be treated with a first-class electronic CD.

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:29 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Two new reviews of "Segmented Visions" have appeared recently, both in German online music magazines:

For "Betreutes Proggen" by J├╝rgen Meurer, and for "Musikzirkus Magazin" by Stephan Schelle - here are the links to the original reviews (in German) plus my usual (rough) English translations:

http://www.musikzirkus-magazin.de/dateien/Pages/CD_Kritiken/elektronik/lankow_und_brueckner_segmented_vision.htm

Lankow & Br├╝ckner - Segmented Vision
SynGate Records (2020)
(10 pieces, 75:49 minutes playing time)

Volker Lankow and Michael Br├╝ckner release their second album together in summer 2020 with "Segmented Vision". The two musicians already met in 2018, when they had a joint performance together with Bernhard W├Âstheinrich (Centrozoon among others) in a small caf├ę in Berlin.

Michael about it: "As usual we tried to make a recording, but unfortunately it turned out that the recordings were overdriven (such recording mishaps happen all the time, especially if you have to do it yourself as a musician at a concert...).

At that time we (all three of us) decided to make an album together in the style of the performance, and I produced 70 minutes of music for it, based on what I had prepared for the concert. It also started lively at first, but then things came to a halt because each of us had other urgent obligations.

In the end, in December 2019, I dug out my recordings again, thought they were still good, and asked Volker if he could send me his parts from last year. It turned out that these recordings had been lost, so Volker re-recorded his parts in spring 2020. Afterwards I made some changes and added some additions, then we gave Michael Prawos the material for mastering - and the album was finished..."

If you listen to the album today, it's fortunate that Michael found the recordings again. What Volker Lankow (Percussion, Samples & Soundscapes) and Michael Br├╝ckner (Electronics, Synthesizer, Keyboards) have put together on "Segmented Vision" is simply hypnotic. Although the 76-minute work is divided into ten parts with the titles "Segment I" to "Segment X", it is a complete long track due to the seamlessly merging parts.

"Segment I" starts with some electronic soundscapes and pads. At the beginning this seems quite mystical, but changes after a good one and a half minutes, when Volker adds his percussion in a very accentuated way. From now on you are captivated by this mantra-like sound. The electronic sounds, pads and harmonies as well as the percussion are constantly changing and thus create a musical maelstrom from which one can no longer escape.

In "Segment II" some sequencer rhythms are added, which together with the percussion further increase the hypnotic effect. In "Segment III" some surrealistic sounds come to light, while in "Segment IV" the sequencer and the percussion as well as the sounds show a slight proximity to the "Berlin School". "Segement V" then shows a quite atmospheric side with a slightly spacy and also experimental touch. "Segment VI" then fascinates again by the rhythmic coming together of electronics and percussion. And equally hypnotic and captivating it continues in the remaining parts.

I recommend to enjoy the album over headphones or to turn up the system properly, because this way all details are revealed and the pulling effect of the music is intensified beyond that.

The cover design of the six-page supplement and the back of the jewel case is also striking in the CDR production. They are dominated by very colourful graphics, which were created by Paul Nicholson.
Michael about it: "I would also like to emphasize the cover artwork by Paul Nicholson - I think he is a great artist, and I am extremely grateful that we are allowed to use such fantastic images..."

Volker Lankow and Michael Br├╝ckner offer on their album "Segment Vision" a 76 minutes hypnotic, trance- and almost mantra-like musical journey, which is mainly carried by the perfect combination of electronic sounds, pads and harmonies and the organic percussion. From the first moment on, the two of them create a hypnotic undertow that you can't escape from. A magnificent electronic album.

Stephan Schelle, July 2020

https://www.betreutesproggen.de/2020/07/lankow-brueckner-segmented-vision/

Lankow & Br├╝ckner - Segmented Vision
(75:51, CD, digital, own production, 2020)

JUERGEN MEURER ON 30 JULY 2020

It is not unusual for musicians from the electronic scene to join forces for joint projects. In this case it is a German project, consisting of the Berlin "soundscaper" Volker Lankow and the sound tinkerer Michael Br├╝ckner from Mainz. The roles are distributed as follows:

Volker Lankow - percussion / samples / soundscapes
Michael Br├╝ckner - synthesizers / keyboards / electronics

This is quite meaningful, because here synthesizer-oriented approach and percussive expertise meet. And it's not even their first collaboration, as they have already released an album called "Monsoon Offerings" in April 2019. While the songs were still long (11 minutes) to very long (almost 35 minutes), this time there are ten tracks, numbered simply as 'Segment I' to 'Segment X', with playing times between six and almost ten minutes. The two musicians took part in a jam session together in 2015 and kept in touch afterwards, including further concerts with Bernhard Woestheinrich.

The name Michael Br├╝ckner has already been mentioned here once before and has been praised. And rightly so! If you want to deal with this artist, you need a lot of time, because his back-catalogue is huge. And this, although the first release was only in 1993.

Volker Lankow learned his percussion skills in Africa and the Middle East and is an important factor on this album, because his contributions bring a breath of fresh air and are always inserted at the right times. There are very thoughtful phases, almost suitable for meditation, in which the listener is then actually not startled by loud and aggressive percussion, but which are wonderfully amplified in their effect by soft percussion. But there are also lively numbers that gain additional energy through the use of percussion instruments. Sometimes extracts remind of a certain Klaus Schulze.

And so the interaction of the two musicians works perfectly and makes the brimful album a thoroughly interesting listening experience, which should appeal to friends of ambient, electronica and tribal ambient. The personal highlight of the album is 'Section IX', a beautiful, atmospheric title, which also features mellotron sounds.

Hopefully you will be able to hear about this collaboration in the future.

Rating: 10/15 points

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:20 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Sylvain Lupari reviewed "Segemented Vision" for his online magazine Synth&Sequences! ­čśŐ

It's seems that this time, we couldn't *entirely* convince him, but nonetheless he states his case as eloquently as ever (and in the end I guess quite enjoyed the album still...)!

https://www.synthsequences.com/post/br%C3%BCckner-lankow-segmented-vision-2020

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkil├Ą

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2021 CBACK.de