EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

LANKOW & BR├ťCKNER - Segmented Vision, 2. Review

BruecknerAmbient
One of the Coolest Member

germany.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:09 am    LANKOW & BR├ťCKNER - Segmented Vision, 2. Review Reply with quoteBack to top

Dear listeners, friends & supporters,

the new album "Segmented Vision" by Berlin based percussionist and soundscaper Volker Lankow and myself has been released today via both out Bandcamp pages.
It's available as digital download (optionally 24 bit) and high quality CD-r (again with marvellous cover artwork by American painter Paul Nicholson!).
The physical version starts shipping around June 14th.

https://volkerlankow.bandcamp.com

https://michaelbrueckner.bandcamp.com

The story of "Segmented Vision" started in 2017, when Volker, Bernhard Woestheinrich (centrozoon, The Redundant Rocker) and myself played a gig together in a small caf├ę in Berlin.
There were plans to release a live recording which failed due to technical problems. Instead, we wanted to record a studio album based on the material I had prepared for the concert.

Due to various other obligations of everyone involved however, the project was put on the backburner. Only in late 2019, I lifted it from the vaults again. Volker recorded his parts in early 2020, and I added some further touches in March. Finally, musician and sound engineer Michael Prawos mastered the results - very skillfully and carefully.

Thank You very much for Your attention and enjoy the music! Smile

Last edited by BruecknerAmbient on Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:34 pm; edited 2 times in total

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:24 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

As the physical edition of this album soon will be ready to ship, here are pictures of the complete cover artwork, all with paintings by Paul Nicholson.

If you are interested in a copy, and live in the USA, Canada or Australia, please note that at the moment, it's unfortunately still not possible to ship goods to your countries due to restrictions during the Corona health crises (and perhaps also other political reasons in case of the US). If anyone from those countries places an order now, of course the CDs will ship out as soon as possible (whenever that will be - hopefully soon...).

We also consider to have them produced in (and shipped from) the US, but we still need time to determine if this option really is going to work...

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:18 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Uwe Sa├če was the first to review the new album for his online magazine "Sequenzerwelten".

Read Uwe's original (German) review following this link, or my rough English translation below:

http://www.sequenzerwelten.de/brueckner_main.html

Volker Lankow & Michael Br├╝ckner - Segmented Vision

Good tribal ambience is becoming more and more popular. Be it a collaboration of Steve Roach & Byron Metcalf, or Volker Lankow & Michael Br├╝ckner Smile

I love to listen to this combination of ambient sounds and crisp percussions again and again. Michael and Volker have already proven on the album "Monsoon Offerings" that they harmonize well musically.
However, "Segmented Vision" offers more "active" than "passive" music, there is less time for dreaming. Percussions dominate more and therefore the listener should be prepared for more exciting music.

Here again the versatility of Michael Br├╝ckner shows and it seems that Michael feels at home in all styles of electronic music.
Unfortunately I can't say anything more about Volker Lankow at the moment, because I hadn't heard his solo music intensively yet.
As far as the -Segmented Vision- is concerned, his percussion playing is really great and I can recommend this CD with a clear conscience Smile

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:31 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Reviewer Siggy Zielinski from the online prog magazine "Babyblaue Seiten" wrote a detailed and positive review of "Segmented Vision"! ^_^

Find Siggy's original review (in German) here, or my (rough) English translation below:

http://www.babyblaue-seiten.de/album_18897.html#oben

Berlin-based percussionist and soundscaper (that's what he's called in the CD booklet, apparently the term, which is unknown to me in this context, refers to a musician who creates soundscapes) Volker Lankow and electronic musician Michael Br├╝ckner met in 2015, when Lankow was rehearsing with Br├╝ckner and Matthias Br├╝ssel, another electronic musician.

In 2018, Br├╝ckner, Lankow and Bernhard W├Âstheinrich (known to some perhaps as a solo artist and member of Centrozoon) gave an improvised performance in Berlin. The three gentlemen then considered joint releases as a trio, but nothing came of it. In 2019, Michael Br├╝ckner began to sift through the then unused material with the idea of a possible duo album with Lankow.

And lo and behold, this became the present segmented vision, more precisely a duo CD by Br├╝ckner and Lankow with the English title "Segmented Vision". The title probably refers to the fact that the ten musical segments are supposed to form a vision, a single composition after all. What vision the musicians had in mind is not known to me. Maybe of a peaceful and a colourful world. The music is peaceful, but the artwork is colourful (and extremely so).

Musically, "Segmented Visions" offers a very tastefully and well-balanced arranged electronic music, which can be described quite accurately with the keywords "Berlin School", chill-out and ambient. Besides the sequencer motifs reminding of Klaus Schulze (or maybe M. Br├╝ckner), you can also hear the Mellotron flutes, which again could be from one of the best works of Tangerine Dream. In addition, there is always the invigorating - sometimes rather meditative - percussion playing of Volker Lankow. In the quieter moments, I feel reminded of "Dreamtime Return" by Steve Roach.

Most of the album's time was probably spent on the spherical, thoughtful passages. Or it just seems like it. (It's long known that electronic and ambient musicians don't always look at the clock when they do their art. Also "Segmented Vision" is nothing for people with a short attention span).
There are also real ambient parts that - by definition - can become a hardly noticeable part of the environment. It's definitely worthwhile to take a moment to look inside yourself to discover and appreciate all the subtleties of "Segmented Vision". But if you don't want to relax too much, you can concentrate on the numerous excellent sequencer passages of the album. Most of all, I like the melodic sequencer motifs as soon as they appear, such as these in "Segment IV", or "Segment VIII".

In spite of the possible inspirations one should not forget to mention that the synthesizer work of Michael Br├╝ckner also has the characteristics and subtleties that identify him as an independent personality.

In the currently very difficult world situation, the music of "Segmented Vision", presumably conceived for a better world, seems to be best suited as soul therapy. All the better if you can be treated with a first-class electronic CD.

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkil├Ą

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2020 CBACK.de