EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

POEtry, by Michael Brückner

BruecknerAmbient
One of the Coolest Member

germany.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:08 pm    POEtry, by Michael Brückner Reply with quoteBack to top

Dear friends, listeners and supporters,

this is the "extended edition" of my musical adaptation of E. A. Poe's famous poem "The Raven", under the title

POETRY

It's also the second part of my series Drones, Atmospheres and Dreamscapes, which I started earlier this year with "Servant of the Secret Fire"...

https://michaelbrueckner.bandcamp.com/album/poetry-drones-atmospheres-and-dreamscapes-vol-2

At the moment this is a (basically) FREE release ("name your price") for a limited time.

There's also a double CD-r edition available.

One version of my rendition of "The Raven" already was released back in 2017 as part of the huge V/A compilation "Nevermore" by Rebekkah Hilgraves & Friends, which itself grew out of a "themed challenge" in Rebekkah's radio show "At Waters Edge" in 2014.
I consider this piece to be my most accomplished dark ambient composition to date, and always wanted to re-release it as one of my own albums.

While that version features a vocoded reading of the poem by Rebekkah Hilgraves (as well as field recordings of real ravens by her), this new, extended edition will also include a version with Rebekkah's clear voice, plus another with a reading of the German translation of the poem by horror author and audio book voice artist Georg Bruckmann (who also contributed some metal guitar soundscapes).

I created these new versions in the first place as an answer to requests by some of my listeners back in 2017 - some disliked the vocoded voice (which actually is a nod to Alan Parson's wonderful version of the same poem, one of my all time favourite songs since I was a boy), and some German listeners struggled with the English.

Once working on alternative versions, I made use of the opportunity and applied further changes to make each rendition unique and thus (hopefully) interesting:

There are (completely) different versions of the dark ambient instrumental part (which now come as seperate tracks), as well as two new arrangements of the pseudo-orchestral opening, one (again) by Georg Bruckmann (who is, as you can see, also a musician), the other by HaDi Schmidt (my duo partner in "Bridge To Imla").

Also brand new is the rendition of another Poe ballad, "Ulalume".

credits
released November 6, 2020

All music conceived, performed and produced by Michael Brückner,
2014, 2017 & 2019

Rebekkah Hilgraves: narration (tracks 1 & 6), field recordings, vocals (and starting the project from which this music evolved)

Georg Bruckmann: narration (track 4), guitar, guitar soundscapes, *orchestral arrangement (track 5)

Hans-Dieter Schmidt: *orchestral arrangement (track 6 & digital bonus track)

* pseudo-orchestral rather, as we only could afford a sample based orchestra

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
REWO Records

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:52 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

A beautiful cover and album.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:44 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« REWO Records » wrote:
A beautiful cover and album.

Thank You very much, René! Smile

A propos "cover" - here are some pictures from the double CD-r edition...

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:47 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

POEtry UPDATED - please re-download! Smile

Dear friends, listeners and supporters,

this one time I did something I usually wouldn't do - I applied some changes to an album after it was officially released.
I apologize for that (and promise I won't do it again!) but there had been a few obstacles shortly before (and after) the release - illness and other "real life" interferences - that prevented me from doing it better in this case...

So, what's new...?

1. Most importantly: I added a digital bonus track, a remix of the material, this time also including drums and other rhythmical elements - I finished it today and like it a lot! Smile

2. When prepering the files for the double CD-r edition, I realised two things:

- the tracks were too long; to fit them on two CDs, I had to shorten them by five minutes for each of them...

- in the first two tracks there still were recording / production flaws, concerning the stereo / panning of some bits and distortions in the vocoded voice. Actually, I had believed that these only had occured in one of the older versions and I had fixed them long ago.
Well, I kind of had done that, but while sounding better than before, it still, erm: sucked...

Therefore, I decided to re-record the entire vocoded version of the narration and re-build the mix of these two tracks (which, of course, are only two parts of one very long composition). And while I was just at it, I also replaced the old orchestral arrangement at the end of track two with an alternative version by HaDi Schmidt (he gave me two different ones). All in all, these tracks sound significantly better now (although the vocoded voice now sounds a bit colder and thinner - but also much clearer - now...).

Anyway, I strongly recommend to re-download the album to get the new versions.
As it is still (basically) for free, You'll have no extra costs (and if You even paid for it, You can it re-download any time anyway from Your BC collection).

Thanks a lot!

Cheers,
Michael

https://michaelbrueckner.bandcamp.com/track/the-raven-rabenvater-remix-bonus-track

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2020 CBACK.de