EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

It was 37 years ago

etherworld
Very Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:57 pm    It was 37 years ago Reply with quoteBack to top

That my unit came under fire, and at 9:00 PM we called in artillery and the first round in hit our position "directly" taking everyone out but me and my gunner.......final toll 10 KIA and 2 survivors..........Man, I'm sure glad to be here telling you this

Thanks for listening

Stephen

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Craig Shipley
One of the Coolest Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:01 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I thank you for your service and mourn with you the loss of your brothers-in-arms. When I lived in Washington DC and visited The Wall, I could not (and still cannot) help but tear up, even though no-one I knew is on there. My cousin flew Army med-evac Hueys over there and came back OK.

Over the weekend I had the opportunity to visit a small museum here in Georgia that pays tribute to veterans from Gwinette County and from Georgia in general. They have artifacts that go back to the Civil War. The docent on duty this weekend was a Marine that showed me his photo; he was standing on the deck of the USS Missouri in 1945 when the Japanese delegation was signing the papers that ended WWII.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
Phrozenlight

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:12 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

it is always hard to see those kind of things, it is even harder when some of the people on the list have faces, or you know them.

It is good to have veteran- and other rememberdays of this kind events.
It is so easy to forget the people

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
Soul Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:45 pm    Re: It was 37 years ago Reply with quoteBack to top

« etherworld » wrote:
That my unit came under fire, and at 9:00 PM we called in artillery and the first round in hit our position "directly" taking everyone out but me and my gunner.......final toll 10 KIA and 2 survivors..........Man, I'm sure glad to be here telling you this

Thanks for listening

Stephen

I can imagine that you're glad to share this with us, still I wonder what stories the people from like let's say "My Lai" could tell us today.

Vote for a normal president so none of this stuff ever happens again. Embarassed

etherworld
Very Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:02 pm    Re: It was 37 years ago Reply with quoteBack to top

« Soul Hunter » wrote:
« etherworld » wrote:

Thanks for listening

Stephen

I can imagine that you're glad to share this with us, still I wonder what stories the people from like let's say "My Lai" could tell us today.

Vote for a normal president so none of this stuff ever happens again. Embarassed

The My Lai incident is a shameful reminder of how the best of intentions can go seriously wrong, when I landed in Detroit in November of 1970 I was quickly reminded of that.

As for a normal President? I see nothing close to that as of now

Alvaro

spain.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:52 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Exactly two years after this incident I was born (19/05/73). So there are too many people from my generation to whom Vietnam sounds too far...

It's good to have veterans like you to tell us this kind of things. Never forget, even if they are bad memories.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Craig Shipley

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:51 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Alvaro » wrote:
Exactly two years after this incident I was born (19/05/73). So there are too many people from my generation to whom Vietnam sounds too far...

It's good to have veterans like you to tell us this kind of things. Never forget, even if they are bad memories.

Upon recommendation, I have just ordered the book "Stolen Valor" that covers the mis-characterization and vilification of 'Nam-era vets along with how many creeps pass themselves off as veterans (some dating as far back as WWII) for financial gain, unearned glory or as an excuse for their mis-behavior. It appears that all too often, the creeps dressed in surplus store purchased fatigues are the ones that get all the media attention while the true vets get the shaft.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
etherworld
Very Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:53 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

There are actually many good memories too, given the situation, we did some funny stuff over there, like for instance stealing the CO's Jeep one night and driving into a village to score some "other" materials and some whiskey...

He found out 2 days later and we were put on base restriction.........Mama San was good to us so she arranged to have us come to her village and take care of the sick children, which we did and we gave the kids some candy...

The Vietnamese liked chocolate, so we gave them much to enjoy, those kids always helped us out in finding the "bad guys"

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2019 CBACK.de