EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Joint Efforts

M@kz Delissen
Obscurist

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:11 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« RemoteViewing81 » wrote:
1 year ago today the seed was planted for "The Album"

Any updates?

Right, here we go. Koos asked me to write a little update some weeks ago, but I have hardly had the time. This morning, an unexpected but small space opened up in my agenda, which enabled me to write this.

First of all I want to apologise to the people who have submitted a track. It has taken me much longer to do the mastering than I had hoped. It had to be done in-between my very (very!) busy job, my family-life and other social obligations such as my Band. Some weeks were so full that I had to skip mastering completely, but now I'm glad to tell you that the process of mastering is coming to a conclusion soon. This weekend or the next, I hope to deliver a "first draft".

I must say that it has been a pleasure to work with the material, although I encountered some difficulties along the way. Due to the nature of the project, some musicians entered their contribution in mp3 format. Some of you may remember that I have done quite a lot of ranting in the past about compressed audio, and the effects it has on sound quality.

In this case, things weren't as bad as I had feared. Upon reflection, I think that there are two main reasons for that:

1. I had no comparison to the original recording, so there was no way to determine how much information got lost in de compression process, and

2. Somehow EM seems to be rather immune to most kind of compression artefacts.[/list]

Another "problem" was that some tracks seemed to be mastered already. By that I mean that the graphic view in my editor showed clear signs of final normalisation a/o compression. In itself that is not a big problem, but when you have to fit a track like that into a compilation it sort of determines how loud the rest has to be. So an ambient track with no heavy rhythm that has been blown up to 0dB has to be carefully re-mastered for better levelling with the rest of the tracks.

Nothing I can't handle, though, but it takes time.

Another challenge is to determine a tracklisting. This is a more philosophical issue, so forgive me if I seem to babble a bit. First of all, you need enough variation in pace (do not put all fast tracks together), and key (most keyboardists seem to prefer the key of C). As far as I'm concerned, a Various Artists compilation should have a certain "flow" that pleases me. When you have twenty different artists, playing 20 different compositions and styles, you need some "invisible guide" along the way to keep the listener interested.

The biggest challenge, however, is to be completely unprejudiced about the music. A famous Dutch mastering technician once told me that being a music lover is definitely not a good asset in his line of work. And I understand what he means. There is no way around personal preferences. Some of the tracks (and no: I will not name them) do not contain my favourite style of EM. But I consider myself to be professional enough to determine that, and I assure you that those tracks got every last bit of attention. In fact, I spent more time on those "difficult" tracks than on the ones that immediately appealed to me.

There are three or four tracks left on my HD that are "unprocessed", and as I said, I hope to get my hands on them this weekend or the next.

Once I have finished the individual tracks, the real mastering can commence. That can take some time, because of the volume balancing and the tracklisting. If all goes well, there can be a final master by the end of June.

Very Cool Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:25 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the update on this. I'm sure we all appreciate the effort you're putting into this, and will realise that the time taken is a solid reflection of that.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Mac of BIOnighT
Even more Cool Member

italy.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:39 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey, "real" life comes first (family and friends, especially), no need whatsoever for apologies, we all appreciate the work you've been putting into this! Smile
HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
M@kz Delissen
Obscurist

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:09 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks guys!
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:16 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

It's in capable hands

thanks M@kz !

https://twitter.com/emportal

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Synthasy2000

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:49 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the update.

At least I know the ball hasn't been dropped on this one.

Cheers Smile

Seren
One of the Coolest Member

wales.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:49 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the update M@kz... Mmmm, the CD sounds a bit like herding cats, and not even colour coordinated ones!!

And definitely life comes first.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:19 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Last weekend I have had several extensive listening sessions to determine the optimal order of the 20 tracks. M@kz will do the same and then we will decide how the pieces will be 'shuffled'

It's been fun to listen every track individually and as part of the complete project, analysing the compositions and most of all I enjoyed listening your music made by joint efforts i.e. the great things you guys have realised Cool

Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:58 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

after a long period of silence there is news to report Smile

I have to work out a couple of things but will get back on this shortly

stay tuned

René

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:03 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

And...
VCO1
One of the Coolest Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:41 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

René, you're so impatient... Wink
OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
René

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:09 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

No I am not...

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2019 CBACK.de