EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

What soundcard are you using? PCI, Firewire or USB?

M@kz Delissen
Obscurist

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:10 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Ron » wrote:
I just got a laptop and going to use a Tscam US122 card which is quit good for all purposed live events. Especially because I want to get starting to use VST synths live.

Hmm, that is one dream I hope to fulfill one day as well. There are some very good VST synths available. And some rather nice stand-alone virtual synths as well.

But what about latency? Is that still a problem nowadays?

One of the Coolest Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:35 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

7 ms with my Laptop a T 2300 (Acer) no problem
OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
solitaryzen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:01 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

MOTU 828mk2 firewire for me too. Very happy with it.
OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Waveform

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:14 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I've used a Delta 1010 on Mac & PC for years now. No problems in running, and the one repair I needed was carried out under the M Audio lifetime guarantee. Fantastic.

I was curious as to what latency users are getting using softsynths via firewire interfaces?

Steve

dee-p

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:10 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

For years I have used a MOTU 2408 MKII with Digital Performer utilizing a Mac Qucksilver . Old but very efficient for my use. I still like to record some tracks on my Fostex G16s ( ahhhhh,analog). Outboard equipment; Joe Meek VC1, AkG 414 tl, Lexicon 300L with LARK, assorted synths and samplers. All goes through a Soundtracs solo 24-8-2. Lot of real instruments too!

Dee Smile

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Stein Grebstad
Electro80 | Norwegian | Electro-Music

norway.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:25 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I have a some macs.
The list of interfaces: RME FW800, MOTU 828, M-Audio 410, Emagic Audiowerk2 and M-Audio PCI Audiophile 2496

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Soundwave
Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:49 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Terratec Phase 28 (PCI) and before that an Audiophile 24/96. The Audiophile was good but the drivers had problems with some of the newish chipset controllers on my (then) mobo so I got the Terratec which has a more upfront sound (the 24/96 still had excellent upper range clarity) but has less options for tweaking then the M-Audio. It's a shame PCI will be faded out but for the moment the setup I have now is more than enough.

I can get a comfy 2.9ms latency with my system however MIDI latency in the outside world is a whole new blagg. Confused

vrartist

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:30 pm    Latency and software synths Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi, I have found that there are some excellent low latency asio drivers released and built-in to some composing software. I released my new album which uses all software synths and I had a latency problem until I discovered the low latency asio drivers built-in to the software I was using. I simply chose those drivers and latency all but disappeared (along with a few pops and clicks I'd been wondering about).

I'd recommend looking into low latency asio drivers. Hope this helps.

ambientlive

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:11 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

of course if the s/w has a stand-alone mode then that's a step removed also

Seeker_UK
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:53 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

7ms On my -on-board soundcard.

I use ASIO4all.

(www.asio4all.com)

ambientlive

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:54 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I have no idea what my latency is, I just play the notes earlier to compensate if reqd

Syn303

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:37 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Latency settings is usually to do with your DMA buffer settings, the lower you set it, you will get pops and clicks during duplex recording or playback.

Higher settings like 1024 will eradicate that.

Julian Ray
Cool Member

canada.gif

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:24 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

MOTU 828mkII firewire mostly.

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2019 CBACK.de