EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Krautrock

Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:08 pm    Krautrock Reply with quoteBack to top

Yesterday I watched the documentary "Roboter essen kein Sauerkraut" that was broadcasted by Arte. Very interesting to see how many German groups marked this musical era and influenced eachother by their experimental music better known as Krautrock.

Anybody else who saw this 90 min. document (incl. short interviews with Edgar Froese and Klaus Schulze)

Did Krautrock really influence the music scene or was it just a fresh wave of

https://twitter.com/emportal

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
dlmorley
One of the Coolest Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:56 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes!
I think it was a very important scene specially in German terms and one I am very much into. I think it was the first time many Germans really expressed themselves after WWII. Before (and after) most German bands were trying to sound American or British to a certain degree. Krautrock certainly helped many artists express themselves as German plus it was a pretty "exciting" time in Germany and the youth movement was very strong.
However I just like to look at it musically and I think there are many Gems in the "krautrock" genre. Lots of rubbish, but some great records made by German bands between say 1967 and 1977

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
terjewi
Cool Member

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:25 am    Re: Krautrock Reply with quoteBack to top

« Vignoble @ Co. » wrote:
Did Krautrock really influence the music scene or was it just a fresh wave of
OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:00 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

"The term krautrock was originally a humorous one coined by the UK music press (such as New Musical Express and Melody Maker), where "krautrock" found an early and enthusiastic underground following (It is unclear whether the term derives from the ethnic slur "Kraut", which had been used to refer to a German person in World War II, or whether it refers to marijuana, "Kraut" meaning "weed"). As is often the case with musical genre labels, few of the bands wished to see themselves pigeon-holed, and tended to eschew the term.

The book Krautrocksampler by Julian Cope (generally regarded as an opinionated primer on the subject), opines that "Krautrock is a subjective British phenomenon", as it is based rather on the way the music was received in the UK than on the actual West German music scene it grew out of. For instance, while one of the main groups originally tagged as krautrock, Faust, recorded a seminal 12 minute track they titled "Krautrock", they would later distance themselves from the term:

... when the English people started talking about Krautrock, we thought they were just taking the piss... and when you hear the so-called "Krautrock renaissance," it makes me think everything we did was for nothing"

https://twitter.com/emportal

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:45 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

A great book on Krautrock, with loads of archival material is called Krautrock - Cosmic Rock and its Legacy.
M@kz Delissen
Obscurist

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:52 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmm...one of my favorite sub-genres, and a rather significant part of my collection.

And as broad as other meta-genres like 'metal', 'pop' of 'jazz' it is too!

Some of my favorites:

Jane - Lady (although most of their early stuff is superb afaic)
Frumpy - 2 (ahh...Inga Rumpf...the greatest rocksinger ever from Germany)
Satin Whale - Desert Places (flute and Hammond and ripping guitars - excellent)
Sahara - For All The Clowns (stunning guitar playing)
Gomorrha - Trauma (dark and moody, I prefer the German version, although the English re-recording sounds a bit better)
Gäa - Auf der Bahn zum Uranus (trippy shit)
Eloy - Ocean or Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes (more Prog than Kraut, but still very good)

And many, many more. Those who are able to listen to internet-radio should tune in to this station called Krautrock World from Karlsruhe every now and then...

Obscurist

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:49 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmm...one of my favorite sub-genres, and a rather significant part of my collection.

And as broad as other meta-genres like 'metal', 'pop' of 'jazz' it is too!

Some of my favorites:

Jane - Lady (although most of their early stuff is superb afaic)
Frumpy - 2 (ahh...Inga Rumpf...the greatest rocksinger ever from Germany)
Satin Whale - Desert Places (flute and Hammond and ripping guitars - excellent)
Sahara - For All The Clowns (stunning guitar playing)
Gomorrha - Trauma (dark and moody, I prefer the German version, although the English re-recording sounds a bit better)
Gäa - Auf der Bahn zum Uranus (trippy shit)
Eloy - Ocean or Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes (more Prog than Kraut, but still very good)

And many, many more. Those who are able to listen to internet-radio should tune in to this station called Krautrock World from Karlsruhe every now and then...

germany.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:07 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
And many, many more

Oh yes - Krautrock: that early love of mine Rolling Eyes

A few days ago I filed through the mp3-library of a friend, when suddenly I stumbled upon "Wer Schmetterlinge lachen hört" by Novalis - I didn't hear that for years on end (have it on Vinyl somewhere...great track though, lots of fun...).

What do You think about the Janus album Gravedigger from...ahm...1972, I think...?

And thanks for the radio tip. Karlsruhe, You say? Lovely...

M@kz Delissen
Obscurist

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:32 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmm..Janus you say? I know a symphonic rockband band from England by that name, but their German counterpart is unknown to me. Something to check out for sure!

Which Novalis album is that 'Schmetterlinge...' track on? I'll check that out too.

And yes, Krautrock World is from Karlsruhe, hosted by a guy called Lothar Meyer. It's not exclusively Krautrock what he plays, there's lots of other 'Krauty' stuff as well (for instance: he played The Amboy Dukes and CA Quintet's Trip Thru Hell last week), but it's a thouroughly enjoyable station that keeps me from work every time I listen to it Laughing

musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:24 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« M@kz Delissen » wrote:

Which Novalis album is that 'Schmetterlinge...' track on? I'll check that out too.

I think it was on "Live" (at least I have it on that album).

While talking about Novalis, you might want to try and find a copy of "Dreams" by Alma Ata (on "Cain"), which was written by Cosmic Hoffmann for the biggest part.

Does anybody remember Shaa Khan from Duisburg? And while not exactly from Germany, "Hats of Glass" by Eela Craig is still one outstanding album. Lots of VCS-3 madness by Hubert Bognermayr.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:04 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« M@kz Delissen » wrote:
Hmm..Janus you say?

They recorded just one album in the 70ies, which featured two rather "opposing" sides (they had Lps, back then...), referring to the doubled-faced-ness of (the god) Janus. First side were a couple of guitar driven rock numbers (a mix of hard rock and psychedelic, sometimes almost punk-like) while the second side has their most famous title (I guess) the epic, accoustic, quiet and melancholic "Gravedigger", which is actually one of my favorite tracks ever. Not much electronics here though, the main feature is the (classically trained) guitar player. Some moody touches of Mellotron, some Piano, and that's it for the keyboard section.
Check here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DmwqdhfuKs

« M@kz Delissen » wrote:
Which Novalis album is that 'Schmetterlinge...'

« dronescape » wrote:
I think it was on "Live" (at least I have it on that album).

It's indeed on the live album, too (which was named "Konzerte"). Originally it's from their second album (which is just called "Novalis" from 1975, but there's also a best of called "Wer Schmetterlinge lachen hört..." too - which means "He who can hear butterflies laugh..." by the way, for all the poor folks here who don't speak German...).

Check here (that's from the recording of the Brain festival 1977):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XWlqErsoP4&feature=related

« dronescape » wrote:
While talking about Novalis, you might want to try and find a copy of "Dreams" by Alma Ata (on "Cain"), which was written by Cosmic Hoffmann for the biggest part.

Interesting...what's the connection between Novalis And Cosmic Hoffmann?

« dronescape » wrote:
"Hats of Glass" by Eela Craig is still one outstanding album. Lots of VCS-3 madness by Hubert Bognermayr.

That's a nice album indeed (with a nice Chris deBurgh cover - I love early Chris deBurgh - now, here's another "guilty pleasure", no?). But personally I prefer Missa Universalis which I'd call "deeper" (of course You could as well call it more "pompous and monumental"...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_scHnbqGz4

I love it when they suddenly start to rock in that passage...

« dronescape » wrote:
not exactly from Germany

The Novalis singer Fred Mühlböck was from Austria, too, by the way...

Phrozenlight

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:09 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptj1CpBh4nQ

"Schmetterlinge...' was on their second album "Novalis"

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
M@kz Delissen
Obscurist

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:17 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
And while not exactly from Germany, "Hats of Glass" by Eela Craig is still one outstanding album. Lots of VCS-3 madness by Hubert Bognermayr.

Stephen

They were from Austria, weren't they? Close enough to be called Krautrock in my book...

Love the 'Hats Of Glass' album, and 'Missa Universalis' and 'One Niter' too. Very sophisticated stuff! Excellent recordings too...

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:40 pm    Re: Krautrock Reply with quoteBack to top

« Vignoble @ Co. » wrote:
"Roboter essen kein Sauerkraut"

http://www.arte.tv/de/2128100,CmC=2128096.html

http://www.emportal.info/viewtopic.php?p=32911#32911

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2019 CBACK.de