EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

TD-expert advice.

phaedra2008
One of the Coolest Member

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:26 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

While I heard comments that Jerome's music was better than TD I could not see how or even how to draw a parallel.
TD created this great wall of music and nothing related to them seems to penetrate as different enough, maybe Iris' Cama album which I have not heard but Jerome's music can be easily mistaken for TD.
Picture Palace Music do some great stuff but is it that different? on close listening the structure and sounds are still close to TD, the reason it may sound different is their mixes are cleaner/uncluttered & my brain can follow what's going on, tracks are longer covering a broader range of styles within an album.

Edgar may have wanted the TD Legacy flag to be carried on rather than seeing it replaced, but right now he does not seem to need any help as he is the most active Musician in his age group regardless of style.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:10 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« RemoteViewing81 » wrote:
Dear TD experts, in the mid 90's I thought Jerome Froese was going to be
a big EM superstar in the making. Sure he's released a few nice albums and EP's,
but I thought he would make a bigger splash. So has he "under achieved" or is he
right where you thought he would be?

Thanks-

I don't think he has under-achieved, but he is surely not as productive as a solo-artist than he was in TD. I wonder why. Neptunes is a great album, Shiver Me Timbers is not as good but still good. His next album will be out this spring, looking forward to it.

Mostly I think Jerome is a great composer, along with other "young" guys like Ulrich Schnauss and Thorsten Quaesching.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Tangram
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:53 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Could any TD experts help me please? I haven't bought anything by TD since Madcap's Flaming Duty (which was pretty much the last straw for me) having bought everything up to then.

Recently I've heard two great new tracks in which I love a specific sound (or voice). Can anyone tell me what (if any) other tracks are similar to these please and include this sound specifically (like a woman singing through a vocoder) ... ?

Two drunken angels at Trafalgar Square (Fallen Angels) from 1:56 onwards -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooof_trx3zo

Sadness of Echnaton (One Times One) from 0:30 onwards -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fqZL5OYL3M

MTIA

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:22 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I have to say I'm not a fan at all of those kind of fake vocal samples.

But anyway, I guess you should rather ask on the official TD forum about this. They probably know.

Sweep

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:31 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« transceive » wrote:
Would anyone agree that Poland is the last truly "classic" album that TD made? The follow ups Le Parc & Underwater Sunlight were good but show the 1st signs of what they do now. I.e. bland sounding shorter tracks based around presets on digital synths. I kind of gave up after Paul Haslinger left. Controversial comments? You tell me!

Yes, I would agree with that.

In my experience most people agree that TD lost the plot at some point. There are a small number of people who don't think that, but most people only disagree on just when they lost the plot. Julian Cope is perhaps the earliest - he reckons they lost the plot after Atem, which is definitely taking things too far.

To my mind, what they lost was the sense of adventure and the ability and willingness to really listen and work hard. But the other side of the coin is that when they were at their best in doing that, they failed far more often than they succeeded. That isn't very apparent because the released music from the early to late 70s is so brilliant, but the surviving live concerts show the other side of the story.

I saw them live in 75, 82 and about 86 or so. 75, at Liverpool Cathedral was superb. Croydon Fairfield Hall a short time earlier would have been even better. But they weren't always at that level live. By 82, on the tour where Logos was recorded, they were good but didn't have their edge any more. The Logos album was recorded in London about three days after I saw them in Oxford, and it's pretty much identical to what I heard. By that time every concert was pretty much identical if you compare the live recordings. By 86 or whatever it was Paul Haslinger had just joined, and the concert was pretty crappy - all show and no substance. Underwater Sunlight was better than I expected from the band I'd seen shortly before, but all the depth and real musical subtlety had gone. To be honest, even Poland hasn't stayed with me, much as I liked it at the time.

The one album that's really stayed with me is Rubycon. It was a difficult album to make, full of hard work to get the sounds they wanted. It would have been pretty much impossible live, which is why a different style developed after that, but it has a warm organic feel they've never accomplished since. In my view it got too easy to make superficially good sounds at the press of a button, and the willingness to delve deeper was lost. Tangerine Dream chart a process that happened with electronic music in general.

Having said that, the problem was with the musicians, not with the instruments. Despite the massive nostalgia for vintage synths I believe the loss of depth and adventure happened because musicians settled for the easy ways that became available, and not because the instruments only offered superficiality. The DX7 is a case in point. You could dial up preset or previously programmed sounds quickly on stage, which meant a lot of repetition of sounds by different musicians and a lot of superficial and similar sounding stuff, but the instrument itself was (and still is) capable of much that was never explored because the musicians settled for the easy way.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:47 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I disagree with almost everything Sweep says. It's all a matter of taste. I never listen to 70s TD, it's the 80s - 2011 for me.

Part of the reason is that I discovered TD in 1991, so that was the music they released at that time. Had I been around in the 70s things had probably been different.

VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:59 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Jon » wrote:
I disagree with almost everything Sweep says. It's all a matter of taste. I never listen to 70s TD, it's the 80s - 2011 for me.

It's good to see that at least someone is still supporting Onkel Eddy. Wink

But you are absolutely right in that it's all a matter of taste. For me it's roughly '75 to '85 by the way.

sparrow

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:43 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« VCO1 » wrote:
« Jon » wrote:

It's good to see that at least someone is still supporting Onkel Eddy. Wink

But you are absolutely right in that it's all a matter of taste. For me it's roughly '75 to '85 by the way.

I like all eras and lineups of TD..my least fave period is the Pink Years and fave is the Melrose years and much of what came after that. OK TD are and haven't been for a while groundbreaking but who is?? I listen to quite a few other EM artists like Redshift and Volt..they are doing what TD have already done for the most part. The last 5 years of TD's output has been outstanding IMO..although I do find there are a wee bit too much output.

Starwalker

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:55 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I like TD from 70s to 80s the best. Some 90s, today TD I don't care for at all. Paul Haslinger was an awesome addition to TD, I love Underwater Sunlight, and Live. 70s TD i like Ricochet the best.
HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
Seren

wales.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:23 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I used to have a lot of TD albums in vinyl from the beginning to early 80's when I stopped listening to music completely.

Since buying albums again I only have Zeit and Rubycon now, as well as Aqua and Stuntman from that period. I also have Oasis and The Seven Letters From Tibet.

I don't know anyone locally who listens to TD, so can't catch up with more recent albums.

RemoteViewing81

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:11 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't stray much out of the Virgin Years, but I still think TD puts out a
nice album from time to time. You have to give Edgar credit, he could of called
it quits years ago. Where's Peter Baumann?

transceive

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:39 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« RemoteViewing81 » wrote:
I don't stray much out of the Virgin Years, but I still think TD puts out a
nice album from time to time. You have to give Edgar credit, he could of called
it quits years ago. Where's Peter Baumann?

Here is what he does now: http://www.thebaumannfoundation.org/peter_baumann.php

Wonder if he ever feels like walking out his office and sitting at a modular synth, just like the old days...

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:11 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
The one album that's really stayed with me is Rubycon.

I would agree that Rubycon - artistically - was the highlight of TD's career, with many great releases prior to it, and...well...some great releases later.

Still, I guess we shouldn't complain too much: even if we subtract all those releases which were not...ehm...essential, I think there will remain more masterpieces than many an other band or artist has accomplished in his/her/their entire career.

In my opinion it's not exactly easy for a band/artist once they had a certain degree of success (and quality) - if You do the same thing over and over again, the critics shout "formula". And if You try something new the fans shout "This is not what it used to be!".
Then - musicians are only humans, and real inspiration and genius is something hard to attain (otherwise we wouldn't call it that way, right...?). Also, it's quite boring to do the same thing for an extended time.

I suggest that we should have some mercy, finally Smile

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2019 CBACK.de