EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Releasing Online Music: which distributer?

VCO1
One of the Coolest Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:33 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, I don't think it's my speakers. They're Logitech Z4. And although not the best speakers in the world, music normally sounds pretty decent through them. I don't have any eq/effects in the signal path.

It could of course be my ears. So maybe others can listen to it as well?

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Naus

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:03 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I liked Electronic Meditation

as a fan of Jarre it did hit the right note with me Smile

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:22 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I sampled the tracks and it's the mix, the bass is swallowing the rest of the sounds leaving a hole in the mid range resulting in a muddy and boxed mix.

What did you mix on, headphones, satellite type speakers or perhaps small close field monitors with no subwoofer in which case it's easy not to realize how much bass really exists.
Get rid of the boominess from the 80-120Hz region, on the final mix try a -6db or more deep narrow notch filter to open up the sound stage.

Nisus
Cool Member

belgium.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:42 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Phaedra2008,

Tnx for checking this out. I'll take a close look at your suggestions tonight.
I mixed on headphones first, tweaked some rough mix afterwards on a Roland KC-550 (my stage piano amplifier) with all EQ set to midlevel. Than checked the sound on the worst possible pc-speakers, labtops, cheap headphones etc.

Rgds,

Nisus

Nisus
Cool Member

belgium.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:49 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Naus,

I'm glad you liked it. Where do you think does my music resemble JMJ?
Rgds,

nisus

Ps: a pitty you cannot hear the titletrack yet. Soon I hope! (but for now bandcamp does not allow the upload of any file larger than 291mb... Electronic Medication (the song) is 394mb...)

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:13 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Give it a shot, if the narrow filter knocks too much out widen it a bit and try around -3db with center frequency around 80-100Hz, that's where the boominess tends to happen.
The cheapest speakers are also the worse as they do built with all sorts of law physics defying trickery to get a big sound out of a small box.
Mix aside, some variety would be important for melodic compositions to avoid sounding like one long track.
Se how you go Laughing

Nisus
Cool Member

belgium.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:30 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, I do not like to mix for expensive equipment, because most people listen to music on about anything, so I try to go with an overall good enough mix. Otherwise it would sound to bad everywhere... Hmmm... So curious to try those EQ tips... But I'll have to wait untill about midnight I guess... ;-((

Naus

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:23 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey Nisus, it's not so much that your music resembles Jarre, but your melodic and rhythmic approach just fits my Jarre ears pretty well Smile

Nisus
Cool Member

belgium.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:19 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Naus,

Tnx! I'm even more happy not to resemble anyone Wink) but glad you appreciate my approach Wink

Rgds,

Nisus

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2019 CBACK.de