EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Vangelis - Blade Runner OST 1982 Oscar Submission

phaedra2008
One of the Coolest Member

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:32 pm    Vangelis - Blade Runner OST 1982 Oscar Submission Reply with quoteBack to top

Chariots of fire won an Oscar and Alexander was submitted later on too, but Polydor tried in 1982 with the Blade Runner OST submission as per this advert out of an US entertainment industry magazine from early 1983.

It wasn't nominated which makes sense since the OST was not really available but the question is what were the Academy selectors & Journalists supposed to listen to "for consideration" Question

Copies from a leaked cassette of an OST version did circulate in 1982 which may have been the source for the Blade Runner bootlegs although, the reported sound quality of the tape was poor & maybe the source originated from the film studio coz not much ever leaked out of Vangelis' camp...

There is no doubt the OST was supposed to be released at the time but Vangelis stopped it in the last minute blaming Polydor for years Rolling Eyes

So back to 1982 I wonder if Polydor supplied a version of the OST in some form for review to a selected few to support the promotion, or, did the advert go to print first embarrassing Polydor for their inability to supply the music to consider Rolling Eyes

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Maff
Very Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:21 pm    Re: Vangelis - Blade Runner OST 1982 Oscar Submission Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:

There is no doubt the OST was supposed to be released at the time but Vangelis stopped it in the last minute blaming Polydor for years

Do we know for definite Vangelis stopped it? Given the various tensions between the film makers and the backers I had always assumed the soundtrack was just another casualty.

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:23 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

In the end titles the availability of the soundtrack on Polydor is being announced -- apparently, though, the executives seemed to have made up the bill without the artist being around.

I am sure there was something which got withdrawn at the very last second, hence the need to quickly come up with just about anything (i. e. that dreadful orchestral "Blade Runner" score with, I think, Ian Underwood on keyboards).

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Maff
Very Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:39 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm not surprised it was cancelled, just wondering if we know for definite who was responsible for it. The Final Cut version of the film that came out a few years ago was cancelled at one point for about five years because the backers wouldn't allow anyone to have access to the original film elements. Stuff like that makes me think the soundtrack probably just got caught up in legal arguments as well.
phaedra2008
One of the Coolest Member

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:01 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I remember watching the movie in the cinema, part of the credits roll stated the OST "available on Ploydor records & tapes" which is still present on all video releases.

Polydor were in the business of selling music and were very keen for a COF follow up.

In 1983 Vangelis agreed to release Antarctica exclusively in Japan but since it was impossible to stop 100% all imports agreed for a worldwide release after a few months of "negotiations".
The fact was Vangelis was trying to avoid critique/comparisons with COF as the music was close enough to it, but 1984's Soil Festivities took care of that issue.

For many years when asked why no OST release, Vangelis' standard answer was: "that's a question for the record company"...

In 1989 Vangelis did release some BR music on the Themes compilation on Polydor, a compilation he was quite excited about.

But the OST took a total of 12 years to come out in 1994 on the East West label.

These are all facts reported in various media over the years from different sources so I am happy to consider them true.

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2019 CBACK.de