EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

It's that time of the year, post your top 10 list

REWO Records
One of the Coolest Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:34 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

A complete different list on here: http://www.npr.org/2014/12/20/371769610/the-10-best-electronic-albums-of-2014

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
klockwerk
Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:28 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

If the NPR list represents the best of 'Electronic Music' in 2014, call me Grandpa.
REWO Records

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:52 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

it's an opinion of some people.

Alvaro

spain.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:54 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

My list:

Jonn Serrie - Day Star
Rene van der Wouden - Sounds of Movement and Motion
Zanov - Virtual Future
Erren Fleissig Schottler Steffen - Night On Oudodorp
Rene Splinter - Frames
Moonbooter - Cosmoromantics
Pink Floyd - The Endless River
ARC - Umbra
Node - Node 2
Hans Zimmer - Interstellar OST

Maff
Very Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:33 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« klockwerk » wrote:
If the NPR list represents the best of 'Electronic Music' in 2014, call me Grandpa.

Is that what passes for mainstream electronic music these days? Bloody hell...

Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:58 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« REWO Records » wrote:

Geez, what a list...

I have only heard of Aphex Twin there.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:24 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, a top ten list - or any list of that kind at all - never comes easy to me.

Not because - like some here - I don't think that anything worth mentioning has been released, but on the contrary: there was so much great music that I find it hard to single any of it out...

Also, I don't buy that much new music anymore, for two reasons: I simply don't have that much money to spend, and I also find less and less time to listen a lot.

That said, there are a few albums that did particularily impress me and that have become part of my regular listening - here they are, please note that they are in random order and I enjoy them more or less equally...

Erik Wøllo & Bernhard Wöstheinrich, Weltenuhr

Nemesis, Xenopus

Node, Node 2

Cousin Silas, The Sound of Silas

Hagen von Bergen, Ei Allemol

Pink Floyd, The Endless River

Band1971, Gesammtkunstwerk

Markus Reuter, 6 Reflections

Hmmm. These are those coming to my mind right now - for sure, more which escape me right now will surface in my memory as soon as I stop thinking about it... Rolling Eyes

And: there are some albums still on my to-buy-list which I will purchase one day, and I have no doubt that I will enjoy them a lot, for example:

Aphex Twin, Syro

Robert Rich, Perpetual - A Somnium Continuum

Hollan Holmes, (...his last one, the title escapes me right now)

Wolfram Spyra, Staub

Klaus Schulze & Lisa Gerrard, Big In Europe Vol. 2

Klaus Schulze, The Stars Are Burning

One thing I slightly regret is that, obviously, I was still following those artists I like anyway, and didn't explore much unknown territory, something I used to do in the past much more...

All in all, also during this year, the musician who I listened to far more than to anyone else, and who I just don't seem to ever grow tired of, is Klaus Schulze...

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:48 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Jon » wrote:
« REWO Records » wrote:

Geez, what a list...

Which per se doesn't prove that it's bad music, I guess. Maybe if we'd all listen to it, we may find that there's something to appreciate about it. Who knows...

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:47 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« BruecknerAmbient » wrote:
« Jon » wrote:
« REWO Records » wrote:

Geez, what a list...

Which per se doesn't prove that it's bad music, I guess. Maybe if we'd all listen to it, we may find that there's something to appreciate about it. Who knows...

Yes, but I have a feeling those artists are in a quite different sub-genre of electronic music than those usually discussed here. Typical "new" e-music, not much 70s/80s-inspired stuff I guess...

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:26 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Working on it, from some 180 releases I filtered 30 then another batch of some 35 CD's rocked up just in time.
Staring up/down the list I noted most are "ambient" thinking it can't be me mellowing down, must the the world Laughing

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:05 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Finally narrowed down a list (& a half Very Happy) excluding EP's and familiar acts producing more of the same which is how commercial music charts used to work.

Berlin Heritage - Phoenix (flac) Best KS influenced music in years
Brainwork - Cosmic Places (CDr) Excellent uptempo KS style compositions
Cosmic Ground - Cosmic Ground (CD) A time machine recreating mid '70's classic EM with superb authenticity
Germind - Antimatter 1 & 2 (flax) Great "intelligent" down tempo lounge music totally avoiding any commercial sound
Hollan Holmes - The Spirits Of Starlight (CD) Varied style and pace sequencer driven compositions with immaculate sound production
Krusseldorf - Fractal World (flac) Stunning chillout/lounge electronix
Nemesis - Xenopus (CD) A genre defying beauty working best in one listen
Sayer - Sounds Of Atoms (CD) Crystal clear no nonsense melodic/sequencer EM
Sensory++ - Planet (CDr/dl) A time defying slow paced album creating a great mood from the beginning, something here for everyone and any time
Sylken - Music For Spaceports (CDr) Excellent melodic ambient

Special Mention:
Astropilot - Live At Atmasfera 360 (flac) Excellent 70 minutes continuous live set of dubstep, ambient, downtempo, atmospherix, a brilliant experience
EFSS - Night On Ouddorp (CD) Great up-2-date Berlin School
Wolves In The Throne Room - Celestite (CD) unique ambient & heavy metal fusion with Vangelis influences
Zanov - Virtual Future (CD) Unexpected comeback & the first album I know of starting with hardware synths then completed 30 years later with mostly the same virtual synth versions.

Last edited by phaedra2008 on Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:24 am; edited 2 times in total

EM154
Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:58 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Hydrosphere - Divine Matrix (CD) Great melodies with 80`s Seqences.
Polymorph - T M Solver (CD) Like early Robert Schroeder.
Archaic Frontier - Alpha Wave Movement (CD) Gregory channeling Steve Roach,but not copying.
Escape - The Roswell Incident (CD)
Interstellarphonic - Bouvetoya (CD) Great 1st song, good cd.
Cosmic Ground - Cosmic Ground (CD) Great update of the 70`s sound.
Node 2 - Node (CD) Best liner notes EVER! Some names to faces would have helped.
Staub - Der Spyra (CD) Always great music from him.
Outland - Gert Emmens (CD) Another really good cd from Gert.
Stupa - David Parsons (CD) Not the best David Parsons but Parsons not the less

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2019 CBACK.de