EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Update on Sean Washburn

phaedra2008
One of the Coolest Member

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:14 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Starwalker » wrote:
I have the first edition, any point on getting the second one?

I ordered a copy to support the release despite the old thread strange taste.

Then the plan was to reissue Wave Mantra remastered by Robert Rich as 16 bit CD, 24 bit DVD as well as 16/24 bit downloads.

This year the CD (only) got released on the Gterma label remastered by Anders Peterson and sporting new artwork with no sign of the 24bit DVD.

I'll have to hear it but I dare say for those who have the CD the reissue may not bring anything new to the ears Very Happy

Check info & artwork here:
http://gterma041to060.blogspot.se/p/gterma043-sean-washburn-wave-mantra.html

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:31 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Just found this post on the FB page of Richard Gürtler, a rather well-known ambient reviewer:

""Wave Mantra" CD was originally self-released back in 2000 by Sean Washburn. Big shame on me I have never explored this rare edition!!!
But I still search for it...

Since the middle of April, 2015, reissued with new artwork (16-page booklet) on Swedish gterma label. Huge thanks to Sean Washburn and Johan Rehn/gterma for resurrecting this thrillingly enigmatic tribal ambient jewel!!!

With notable guest performances by Laura Numsen and John Vorus, remastered by Anders Peterson.

There is no excuse for missing "Wave Mantra" again!!!"

I guess one of Richard's well-written in-depth reviews will appear soon, if I'll notice it, I'll share it here as well.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
sean

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:11 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

The remastered gterma 24bit version is available at bandcamp.com

This is offered as download only. It will not be available as a DVD.

Those who own a copy of the 16bit version are welcome to free DL of the 24bit version. PM me for a DL code.

As far as the differences of the 16 vs. 24 bit versions, the 24bit ver. has a bit more detail and air, due to the extra bit depth.

As far as my previous postings here and perhaps my attitude (strange taste), etc. - I am not a saint by any means. I do not consider myself a good person, really. A good artist perhaps, but my personal life and my creative life are two separate things, I suppose. If you are looking for a musician who is also a model of kindness and calmness, then I am not the one, I will disappoint you. I make ambient music for the sake of the art, regardless of the inner turmoil I experience day to day. I accept what I am and strive to become a better human, for my own sake.

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:01 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« sean » wrote:
The remastered gterma 24bit version is available at bandcamp.com

Thank You for the update, Sean. Smile

« sean » wrote:
I do not consider myself a good person, really. (..) I accept what I am and strive to become a better human, for my own sake.

Well, I actually can't imagine a really bad person who strives to become a better human, so in the end You might be a better person than You consider Yourself to be... Anyway: all the best to You! Smile

sean

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:33 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks Michael. I am too critical of myself, that is for sure. When I get frustrated and my emotions get the best of me, I tend to fall apart. That is why I was so attracted to ambient music when I first discovered the genre and its stress relieving effects (I bet I listened Roach's 'Looking for Safety' a thousand times). Sometimes I am radiant, sometimes I faceplant in the muck. I want to be honest about that, denial is very toxic.

So, I owe you $10 (thanks for purchasing WM 24bit), because I would for sure give you a copy for free. You get my next release 'Interior Tsunami' as a gift, okay?
(I hope to release it in early summer, I lack a good room and I want to do an analog mixdown. It looks like I will be going to the Netherlands in the summer to mix 2 full length projects. I have a contact who is offering me a really good deal in a very high-end studio. It has been a long time since I have been to Europe and it would cost me twice as much to hire an equivalent facility here, so I am busy preparing for that.)

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:53 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« sean » wrote:
Thanks Michael. I am too critical of myself, that is for sure. When I get frustrated and my emotions get the best of me, I tend to fall apart. That is why I was so attracted to ambient music when I first discovered the genre and its stress relieving effects (I bet I listened Roach's 'Looking for Safety' a thousand times). Sometimes I am radiant, sometimes I faceplant in the muck. I want to be honest about that, denial is very toxic.

Well, I think we all have our ups and downs, and positive as well as negative sides of our personalities, I guess that's just human (...then again, of course some have to carry a heavier burden than others, and I don't know You well enough to judge Yours). Honesty is a virtue, of course - and perhaps a rare one. I also think that it's healthy to have an accurate self perception, but I'm not sure if it does us (or anyone) any good if we are overly critical to ourselves. Well, just some general thoughts...

« sean » wrote:
So, I owe you $10 (thanks for purchasing WM 24bit), because I would for sure give you a copy for free. You get my next release 'Interior Tsunami' as a gift, okay?

Actually, I opted for the "standard" version. Cool

And I don't think You owe me anything; I was happy to support You a little bit that way. And it's really wonderful music, I enjoy it a lot!

On that occasion, I actually still feel somewhat guilty towards You, because a while ago I had announced to send suggestions for the cover typography (maybe You remember) but did never arrive there (sorry for that). Good to see that it all worked out well (it seems) without that little contribution. I think gterma is a great label for a release like this...

« sean » wrote:
(I hope to release it in early summer, I lack a good room and I want to do an analog mixdown. It looks like I will be going to the Netherlands in the summer to mix 2 full length projects. I have a contact who is offering me a really good deal in a very high-end studio. It has been a long time since I have been to Europe and it would cost me twice as much to hire an equivalent facility here, so I am busy preparing for that.)

Sounds great - I'm really looking forward to hearing Your new album(s). If You come to Europe, we even might happen to stumble upon each other somewhere (actually, I might visit the Netherlands too at some point later this year...).

All the best with Your projects! Smile

sean

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:09 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks so much Michael, I really appreciate that, your compassionate words, many thanks. I would be willing to share the unfinished version of Interior Tsunami with you as it is now, I sent Bert the same thing a few weeks ago. It is only lacking flutes at this point and perhaps some vocal fx that I may add to it. I had a major oral surgery proceedure about a month ago and it affected my ability to play the ney, so I am learning to adjust my technique to compensate for the radical change of my oral cavity, but it is going better than I expected. I think I can finish the flute tracks in a week or two. The piece holds up even without the flutes as a mostly electronic work. I feel good about what it is right now... The only thing is it is rough mixed with headphones, so the frequency balance would not be correct (I think) if heard through monitors at this point. I think the low registers would be too loud or too soft and maybe the midrange detail would be lost with monitors at this point and the overall balance would be skewed, not really sure. But if you use headphones to demo, it would be close to what I am trying to achieve in the final mix. It is a long form work with 4 zones that explore a common theme that plays out for an hour. I would offer a demo if you are interested. It is ready to go now, I can get you a link today if you wish. PM me with an email addy. Thanks again Smile
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:18 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« sean » wrote:
Thanks so much Michael, I really appreciate that, your compassionate words, many thanks. I would be willing to share the unfinished version of Interior Tsunami with you as it is now, I sent Bert the same thing a few weeks ago. It is only lacking flutes at this point and perhaps some vocal fx that I may add to it.

Well, quite a fascinating offer, thank You! Smile

« sean » wrote:
I had a major oral surgery proceedure about a month ago and it affected my ability to play the ney, so I am learning to adjust my technique to compensate for the radical change of my oral cavity, but it is going better than I expected.

Oh, this sounds quite dramatic - I hope the surgery did cure everything which was the reason for it. All good wishes for Your health and complete recovery, Sean!

I love flutes, btw.

« sean » wrote:
I think I can finish the flute tracks in a week or two. The piece holds up even without the flutes as a mostly electronic work. I feel good about what it is right now... The only thing is it is rough mixed with headphones, so the frequency balance would not be correct (I think) if heard through monitors at this point. I think the low registers would be too loud or too soft and maybe the midrange detail would be lost with monitors at this point and the overall balance would be skewed, not really sure. But if you use headphones to demo, it would be close to what I am trying to achieve in the final mix. It is a long form work with 4 zones that explore a common theme that plays out for an hour. I would offer a demo if you are interested. It is ready to go now, I can get you a link today if you wish. PM me with an email addy. Thanks again Smile

Yes - very much interested! I'll try to send You a PM here, and maybe additionally via Facebook, too (in the past, for whatever reason, the EM Portal PM system hasn't worked for me, on a technical level...).

Looking forward!

Starwalker

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:36 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Sean will your new work be on cd or download?
HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
sean

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:24 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Starwalker: Both, I will post it on bandcamp as a DL first. I would prefer to offer it only as a 24bit file but I understand many people still want physical CD's and I will do a small run to start with, as soon as I am able. Personally, I am hooked on 24bit audio esp. for ambient, the extra 8bits really makes a difference, to my ear.

I can offer a 16bit option on bandcamp for those who don't want to wait for the CDs, then they could burn it to a disc for immediate gratificaton. I have some nice artwork as well, it will be included in the DL.

Michael, Thanks. Yes it is all good now and I feel I am almost back to where I was before the surgery.

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:41 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« sean » wrote:
Starwalker: Both, I will post it on bandcamp as a DL first. I would prefer to offer it only as a 24bit file but I understand many people still want physical CD's and I will do a small run to start with, as soon as I am able. Personally, I am hooked on 24bit audio esp. for ambient, the extra 8bits really makes a difference, to my ear.

I can offer a 16bit option on bandcamp for those who don't want to wait for the CDs, then they could burn it to a disc for immediate gratificaton. I have some nice artwork as well, it will be included in the DL.

Michael, Thanks. Yes it is all good now and I feel I am almost back to where I was before the surgery.

Starwalker

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:44 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanx Sean, i have the original Wave Mantra and love it. Look fwd to the new album.
HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2019 CBACK.de