EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

In Defense of the CD

REWO Records
One of the Coolest Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:23 am    In Defense of the CD Reply with quoteBack to top

A great article bases on a honest insight

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/in-defense-of-the-cd-20160204

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:22 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

The guy is right, the CD is the best audio media ticking all boxes.
Today's (greedy) technology is all about instant replacement of the old with new "beta" crap forcing us into an insane cycle of updating hardware and software we never get use to full potential.

I had a small 2 zone Sonos system for years, so the first problem I encountered was it's unpublished 60k tracks indexing limit.
The forums are full of complaints but for years Sonos refuse to update the system while also leaving the limit out of their marketing crap.
On forums they admit it but say most people will not reach the limit.

Well I have hit the limit with some 80k tracks and I no longer use the Sonos.
Less convenient, but I just grab a CD and pop it in the universal player and I am right.

Last year a friend came over with a few 3.5" floppy disks containing the original layout for a book he published years ago.
He wanted to make sure he can edit it if he wishes to publish a new edition but his PC no longer had a floppy drive...

I had an USB external drive and was able to see the contents, but that was written with QuarkExpress a publishing software no longer used.

So while I was able to copy the files on a CD for him there was no point converting the contents to another format because he did not know what a new publisher is likely to use in the future.

The morale here is the file formats pose a massive problem for historic archives, what will an USB stick or pdf file mean in 500 years???

At this point a lot of archives have been digitised but with the world running bankrupt on flat tires there will be no funds to keep doing that every 20-50 years!

And now we have the "cloud" and Google experimenting with data storage on the sea bottom for infinite cooling capacity, so we are driven to store even our virtual things somewhere away...

Just think how inconvenient a 3 hour power outage is then consider the internet suddenly stopping.

No wonder the only written media surviving thousands of years is clay tablets and stone engravings.

How ironic, the Human period that defined science and technology will leave little behind...

betawave
Very Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:48 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

What about a massive power surge to your computer that's been a storage bank for years of your digital music files? Complete loss of your entire music library! Cant happen with hard media and btw you can also resurface scratched cds that have previously skipped! Once you loose those ones and zero's your screwed and you better pony up scratch for replacement digitalia!

Im on both sides of the fence. As a musician I like to offer choices in both mediums digital music for those who cannot afford the expense of international postal rates and hard media for those die-hard and fans local i.e. living in the US. That stated I will say digital sales for me at least far out flank hard media sales by 10 to 1!

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:58 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« betawave » wrote:
What about a massive power surge to your computer that's been a storage bank for years of your digital music files?

If you have a proper backup strategy that shouldn't be a real problem. A nuisance at most.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
betawave
Very Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:01 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah VCO1 I can honestly tell you Ive met a few people who have lost it all and to make it worse they sold their entire collections. So they roll the hard 6!

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:15 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

In 2006 I lost a 500GB external drive and never recovered from it.
Since then I use exclusively mirrored RAID arrays, even so I lost a couple of drives but once replaced the RAID rebuilt them and no data was lost but for additional safety I changed them with Enterprise grade HDD's.

Friends know me as a music collector & when they come over enjoy flicking through CD's recalling covers, where they heard it first and so on, basically a healthy discussion stimulator beating the weather chit chat.

But when I add that I have a lot more music in file format on a bunch of hard drives nobody wants to see them or browse...

And that's because a folder is no different from the many folders they see day in day out plus the screen factor...

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:33 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Power surges don't affect hard drives as they take out the (sacrificial) power supplies.
Replace that or put the HDD in another enclosure/cradle and it will work.

HDD's are amazing things, if kept cool, powered up and dust free they spin for years at 7200rpm or more, the common failures are of mechanical nature and, inevitable.

Can't say that for the "modern" solid state drives with no moving parts to wear out but seem designed to degrade over time, I got an USB stick for which the S.M.A.R.T. monitoring reports it's worn out by 3% whatever that means...

softroom
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:48 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I just released an album on cassette. It's had more interest than recent stuff on download but vinyl still leads when it comes to getting folks excited that you've 'put yet another one out there'. (I've downloaded about 4 albums in my life and have no idea where they are now.). If I could release on wax cylinder, I would.
Amazingly, I'm on this: http://www.cherryred.co.uk/two-years-in-the-making-close-to-the-noise-floor-is-the-forthcoming-4cd-61-track-set-exploring-the-origins-of-electronica-in-the-uk-coming-in-april/

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:58 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« softroom » wrote:
I just released an album on cassette. It's had more interest than recent stuff on download but vinyl still leads when it comes to getting folks excited that you've 'put yet another one out there'. (I've downloaded about 4 albums in my life and have no idea where they are now.). If I could release on wax cylinder, I would.
Amazingly, I'm on this: http://www.cherryred.co.uk/two-years-in-the-making-close-to-the-noise-floor-is-the-forthcoming-4cd-61-track-set-exploring-the-origins-of-electronica-in-the-uk-coming-in-april/

Wax cylinder can be cut, I had a couple done for a joke but the drawback are:
standard cylinder is 2 minutes, extended 4 minutes, and quality is some 25% of an old analog telephone line Rolling Eyes

I am battling with Waldorf now, the PPG dongle crapped itself & somehow I can't access my Waldorf account, instead of fixing that so I can access my registered software/license they keep asking for payment proof from 5 years ago Mad
And then they wander why people use cracked software...

Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:02 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

CD, LP, DVD and MC all the way for me.

Downloads...meh...

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:37 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I had thoughts of having my Aqueous album pressed onto Vinyl. But the outcome of the cost of getting it done were very high. However i still prefer CD or Vinyl.
But CD's contain so much filler these days.

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:15 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« VCO1 » wrote:
« betawave » wrote:
What about a massive power surge to your computer that's been a storage bank for years of your digital music files?

If you have a proper backup strategy that shouldn't be a real problem. A nuisance at most.

After I don't know how many hard-drive failures I still haven't abandoned doing backups on DVD, be it old-fashioned or not.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:52 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmmm...

...that makes me think of that one occasion, more than 25 years ago, when I had to store my record collection (vinyl - oh, and books, too) in a cellar for three or four weeks; too late I realized that a. the cellar was wet (some of the album covers, and - worse - some of the books including rare and lush editions of comic and art books were rotten beyond repair from the humidity) and b. someone had stolen two boxes of LPs (containing most of my then nearly complete Uriah Heep albums and - much worse - most of the Jethro Tull stuff. Most of it I could (or did) not replace until now.

It also makes me think of all the times when I went to my physical music collection to grab an album that just came to my mind - and then realising that it's missing; on closer investigation I seem to remember that I once had borrowed it to a friend (one of three or four friends in question) but when asked, none of the friends ever remembers, but promises to "have a look" (which - of course - then never happens).
Rolling Eyes

Interestingly, during the past couple of years, I found quite a few of these lost items on Youtube or elswhere in the net (and since I once properly had paid for them, I admit that I felt entitled to enjoy them again in this new form).

I also remember that years ago, I said to my wife: "Darling, I need to buy a new hard disc, the one in my computer is full." And she asked:"Why, can't You just delete that stuff...?" (...we were talking about the backup of my own music).

Laughing

Now, while maybe some people might think that would have been a brilliant idea, I decidedly disagreed - then.

But during the past few years, I appear to have somewhat changed; after the last time we moved to a new appartment, I remember to have set up my humble stuff, and at some point thought: what if (for example) there were a fire, and all the old backup CD-rs, the three backup harddiscs and all the other stuff were lost and gone...? I guess I wouldn't go crazy about that anymore and probably just do what my wife had said back in that old conversation when I told me that all my music would be gone then:
"Just create some new, then..."

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:45 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Straying off CD topic but relevant for "digital files", I came across this BBC article stating:

"Ninety per cent of the data in the world has been created in the past two years alone, experts estimate - and the reason for that is technological innovation.

The internet, mobile phones, cameras, sensors, bank cards and social media are just some of the items responsible for the massive volume of "big data" that is currently amassed every single second."

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-35491177

While it may have cost a lot to generate all this data (because we can) in the long term it's environmentally friendly as it can simply vanish without leaving much behind Smile

Glut, the destroyer of everything.

REWO Records

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:58 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« VCO1 » wrote:
« betawave » wrote:

Exactly external HDDs are not that expensive. SSD's are getting better, so...

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2019 CBACK.de