EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

The problem of invariability inherent to all EM musics

thirdsystem
One of the Coolest Member

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:36 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« BruecknerAmbient » wrote:

Possibly the worst album cover of all time Mr. Green I like it.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
thirdsystem

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:38 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« analoguekid » wrote:
I actually like prog too, my post was just sarcasm to the original one using Stephens as an opening point Smile

Yes I thought so. Liked the prog smilies also Laughing Hilarious and also true Very Happy

analoguekid
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:17 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« thirdsystem » wrote:
« analoguekid » wrote:
I actually like prog too, my post was just sarcasm to the original one using Stephens as an opening point Smile

Yes I thought so. Liked the prog smilies also Laughing Hilarious and also true Very Happy

Cool

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
jonnyj

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:58 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Have to give this time to process through the mind a bit. I will say that in the latter part of the 1970's a lot of EM artists expressed frustration of themselves being the same. In a 1981 interview Klaus Schulze frustratingly expressed how he and his peers were "just repeating themselves."
jonnyj

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:01 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« thirdsystem » wrote:
« BruecknerAmbient » wrote:

Possibly the worst album cover of all time Mr. Green I like it.

Being new to the music biz they probably had to go with this type of cover from the label's insistence. Labels always want to put the face of the artist(s) Even these days. especially R&B, Pop, and Country. I'm sure they were happy to go along with it being "earnest young men" in London Wink It was probably considered cool then.

softroom
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:43 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« jonnyj » wrote:
Have to give this time to process through the mind a bit. I will say that in the latter part of the 1970's a lot of EM artists expressed frustration of themselves being the same. In a 1981 interview Klaus Schulze frustratingly expressed how he and his peers were "just repeating themselves."

Mozart wrote 41 symphonies but the real gems were the last 2. I for one am glad he kept going but then I like his music. The average listener probably couldn't tell the Linz from the Haffner - but who cares about the average listener anyway?
And who was it said: repetition is impossible in music.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
stevepalmer

wales.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:22 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

The problem is this: if you remain true to yourself and follow your muse, you lose lots of fans - or even all your fans. If you remain constant, ignore your muse and do what the fans like you turn into a parody of yourself.

I'd rather lose every fan and follow my muse.

softroom
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:35 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« stevepalmer » wrote:
The problem is this: if you remain true to yourself and follow your muse, you lose lots of fans - or even all your fans. If you remain constant, ignore your muse and do what the fans like you turn into a parody of yourself.

I was like that too. Until my muse slapped a restraining order on me.

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:51 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« stevepalmer » wrote:

Very true.

I cannot tell how many initial fans I lost when "ceasing to exist" was released, or when "doombient.two" was recorded. I remember the concert in Münster in 2006 when people from the EM community called it "an utter piece of shite" because there were no sequencers involved. Lesson to be learned: You must never expect your audience to be quite as adventurous as yourself.

On the other hand, I met quite some people who had felt put off early on but decided to give it a try later on -- and warmed up to it.

"If you can't please yourself, you can't please your soul." -- you can only do what feels right to you. If this happens to be the Froesian path... well, there you go.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:07 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
I remember the concert in Münster in 2006 when people from the EM community called it "an utter piece of shite" because there were no sequencers involved.

most listeners of EM want sequencers on everything. it's like chips with everything.

softroom
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:41 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Syn » wrote:
« dronescape » wrote:
I remember the concert in Münster in 2006 when people from the EM community called it "an utter piece of shite" because there were no sequencers involved.

most listeners of EM want sequencers on everything. it's like chips with everything.

I was instructed recently by a fan that the sequences must start within 5 minutes and that any more ambience than that was unacceptable. I live to disappoint such people.

Phrozenlight

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:00 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« softroom » wrote:

I was instructed recently by a fan that the sequences must start within 5 minutes and that any more ambience than that was unacceptable. I live to disappoint such people.

LOL Twisted Evil

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
Alvaro

spain.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:00 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

... but if you start the sequences within 5 minutes, then the ambient fans will complaint about the sequences Razz

PS It's impossible to please all the people at the same time

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:44 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

that's one thing that gets you thinking, do all EM artists make music to please their fans or do they make music for themselves, or a combination of both ?
dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:44 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« softroom » wrote:
« Syn » wrote:
« dronescape » wrote:

"The only purpose of expectations is being disappointed." (Taisen Deshimaru)

Your quote above reminds me of what I heard from people before ['ramp]'s Jodrell Bank concert... "uh, I hope it's not going to be like 'Zeit' or 'Atem' too much..."

And for years I used to think EM listeners were more daring. Uh, well... I love chips every now and then, but a rich Indian meal goes down quite as well.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2019 CBACK.de