EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Update on Sean Washburn

Bert
One of the Coolest Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:10 pm    Update on Sean Washburn Reply with quoteBack to top

Since a while I've established contact with ambient composer Sean Washburn;
he gave me permission to post an update on his current whereabouts which are as follows:

1- I am producing music again, little by little. I promise a new release(s) this year.

2- My performance skills have improved vastly since 'Wave Mantra'. I have never stopped practicing my acoustic instruments and I have many new ones to introduce into my productions.

3- I am very close to re-launching my music to the world/community.

4- Robert Rich will be remastering Wave Mantra next month.

5- Events in my personal life required me to take a hiatus from production.

6- The biggest event that effected my hiatus was a devastating loss of 70% of my production equipment due to theft.

7- I am very close to having a complete production studio again.

8- I have come to terms with the myriad events that seem to delay production. I am learning how to 'dance in the rain' instead of waiting for 'calm, clear skies', so to speak.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:47 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks Bert,
mixed bag news but ultimately good if he's ready for a comeback.
He just vanished for years, no email responses, his website falling apart without updates, etc. so good detective job tracking him down.

Wave Mantra is a classic for me and I'm not sure what remastering can do with it because it sounds fine.
For some years now "Remastering" news produced very poor end results, so we'll hear what R.Rich will do with it.

The only problem with this private factory pressed CD was the impossibility of finding a copy, all it needs is a Reissue/Repress...

Starwalker

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:53 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah thanks.

Agreed Dan , Wave Mantra is a gem!!!!

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:47 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Bert » wrote:

Most interesting. If there's one man of whom I'd guess he might not mess up such a job, then it's Robert...*

Didn't come across Sean Washburn before, btw.
Curious to hear some of his work.

* On second thought, maybe Steven Wilson and Markus Reuter, too...

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:46 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« BruecknerAmbient » wrote:
« Bert » wrote:

Most interesting. If there's one man of whom I'd guess he might not mess up such a job, then it's Robert...*
Didn't come across Sean Washburn before, btw. Curious to hear some of his work.

* On second thought, maybe Steven Wilson and Markus Reuter, too...

You're not alone in not having heard of this, it slipped under my radar too till I saw it reviewed by Bert a few years ago then it took me another 2 years and some $90 bucks to secure an original CD copy, just never comes up for sale...
Wave Mantra was the only CD way back in y2k and from his old webpage I remember there was something else in the works but never seen it released.

But he's back now and you can hear this on bandcamp, check it out and let us know what you think could do with some remastering.

http://sean-washburn.bandcamp.com/

Sure anything can be altered, remember the '80's graphic EQ's were all the rage in HiFi gear, any frequency boost/cut would make it sound different when in fact it may not have been necessary.

Then not did the EQ's component HiFi units just vanish, but also the pre-amps loudness, Bass, treble and even the Balance controls...serious listeners preferred the "straighter wire" path to home sound reshaping.
The EQ's OK for use in cars where the acoustics could not be changed due to the odd shape listening space and fixed/non ideal speakers locations.
So, the EQ went back where it came from and belongs to: The Studio.

Starwalker

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:14 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow Dan I thought you had it for sometime, luckily I secured my copy when it first came out.

Not sure if I will buy it again, considering the original release date was 2000, I'm just going to look at feedback first.

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:54 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Starwalker » wrote:
Wow Dan I thought you had it for sometime, luckily I secured my copy when it first came out.
Not sure if I will buy it again, considering the original release date was 2000, I'm just going to look at feedback first.

In 1990 our daughter was born and I took a hiatus from buying music for 10-12 years except for Vangelis, TD, Schulze, the established names...
By the time I got back a lot of releases came and went, the world also changed and soon the internet made it easy for collectors to exchange information.
Then there was the New Age wave which flooded the markets and little pebbles like this were easily overlooked.

I caught up with a lot though expanding my listening horizons a bit and while I got & may know a lot, it's still not everything.
There are larger scale collectors out there and they don't have or know it all either, no single person does Very Happy

Starwalker

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:31 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Yep I agree, I would figure you had adjust your vast collec tion but that explains it all,
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:43 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks a lot for the bandcamp link, Dan.

Just listening, indeed beautiful music!

Shared it over on my Facebook thingie too, maybe one or two other people will notice it there (...sometimes that happens).

By the way: the cover art is beuatiful, too, but I really hope they will make up their mind and refrain from the "artsy" typography in the rerelease.
Initially a good idea maybe, but the execution doesn't work at all...

sean

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:24 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

>X<

This is the spot where I crashed this party like an angry and myopic drunk, fell flat on my face and gave myself a black eye.

All subsequent comments about my 'grand entrance' are totally justified.

Last edited by sean on Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:18 pm; edited 5 times in total

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:23 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« sean » wrote:
As far as 'artsy typography' - whatever man. I dont do music for you or anyone else. I do it for me and family.

Well. No offense intended from my side. It was just one little thing that I thought could be changed, to to bring an otherwise immaculate release to perfection (maybe You have seen that I also wrote the music and the cover art - the flower illustration - are beautiful). All in my humble opinion, of course.

Maybe I can add that I'm a professional illustrator, designer and typographer. I have studied that nonesense at university.

So if I tell You the typography is not really brilliant (IMO) You can take that as a piece of professional advice. Or just ignore it, if you prefer, or if for some reason You love the typography just as it is.

It's all the same to me, actually...

Rolling Eyes

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:24 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Strange outburst opening an account here just for a dummy spit & a no return promise.

This place is censorship free unless comments are rude or personal, so you are the only one editing your own post as you wish.

We got no idea how a release came about because all sorts of events can trigger creation but from a listeners' point of view all we know is the music.

The thread was positive tossing opinions & guessing coz that's what we do till the information firms up, but now it's likely to be forgotten by those who do come back.

I would be looking forward to new material though

stevepalmer

wales.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:20 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I won't be. Throw your toys out, why don't you.

sean

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:52 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Note to myself: Relax (and don't believe everything you think).

Last edited by sean on Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:19 pm; edited 2 times in total

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:49 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Sean,
are you really OK?

Some 3 hours ago I looked here briefly and saw your tongue in cheek response with a smiley.
Now I logged in with the intention to welcome you back but you changed your post to another rant...

I also see you changed your first post as well which included a promise of not bothering coming back here, what exactly do you wish to do?

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2019 CBACK.de