EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Sound Quality of Albedo 0.39

REWO Records
One of the Coolest Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:20 pm    Sound Quality of Albedo 0.39 Reply with quoteBack to top

As a big for more than 30 years fan of Vangelis, I do like the music of Albedo 0.39 a lot, also the jazzy parts. I grew up with jazz- and blues piano lessons so that must be the excitement of this album.

However, today I found an excellent copy on Vinyl (also the Spiral issue)

Just like the CD I have difficulty with the sound quality of the production. Too bright for my ears. I had hoped that the vinyl issue would be less, but no, just as bright.

Is it me? What do you guys think?

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Bert

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:37 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

May I suggest the K2 24-bit remaster from Japan?

Rapsodies

france.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:50 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Wasn't it 2013 when they released the remasters of 4 albums on CD, including Albedo 0.39 ? I found the sound quality of the remaster very satisfactory.
OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:34 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

This is what Mark J.T. Griffin writes in his book 'Vangelis, The Unknown Man':

"Due to the low quality (compared to today's standards) of equipment, hiss had to be filtered out with equalisers which gave the album a duller sound and "Nucleogenesis" is a good example of this. Albedo's tracks were arranged by laboriously editing together several shorter pieces. The finished album eventually contained over three hundred such edits."

https://twitter.com/emportal

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:52 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I do have most issues of these albums (CD's & LP's) except the recently reissued (Cherry red records) set "supervised" by Vangelis.

There is nothing wrong with the RCA recordings, Heaven & Hell and Albedo were simply mastered for a "bright" sound which combined with bombastic music results in loud albums.
Spiral however is more balanced and Beaubourg does not have much high frequency content Laughing

Then in 1988 Vangelis released Direct, mainly a digital production with some extreme "bright" sounds cutting through the mix & not suitable for loud playback.

If your playback system is fine (no high boosts/low cuts anywhere in the chain) try the sources on another system.

REWO Records

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:32 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks nice to hear. It occurred to me again yesterday after buying the vinyl versions of Albedo .39 and Spiral.

I never boost or cut any frequencies in my Hifi system. It is known that Yamaha amplifiers sound fresh and bright some times. Also the Mordaunt-Short 906i speaker have this. Maybe those 2 combined like my system...

REWO Records

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:33 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Vignoble @ Co. » wrote:
This is what Mark J.T. Griffin writes in his book 'Vangelis, The Unknown Man':

"Due to the low quality (compared to today's standards) of equipment, hiss had to be filtered out with equalisers which gave the album a duller sound and "Nucleogenesis" is a good example of this. Albedo's tracks were arranged by laboriously editing together several shorter pieces. The finished album eventually contained over three hundred such edits."

The mid-seventies already did have some great recording equipment and I don't think Vangelis was forced with a small recording budget back then because he already sold 20 million albums with his former band. But what do I know, I wasn't there.

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:14 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, it does not take much to add up the high frequencies emphasis with a record that's already on the high side.
I would try the albums on another system just to find a logical explanation.

lichtblick
Cool Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:35 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I listened to my LP (RCA, RS 1080) and bought the 2013 remaster on MP3, because of this thread. Both sound fine to my ears. They are perhaps on the bright side, but I do like what I hear.

When I first listened to Albedo 0.39, some ten years ago, I thought it sounded like a snobbish variation of ELP, devoid of any humour. Now, I understand its qualities.

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2020 CBACK.de