EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Klaus Schulze: La Vie Electronique?

Starwalker
One of the Coolest Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:28 pm    Klaus Schulze: La Vie Electronique? Reply with quoteBack to top

I currently have LVE 3-7. I love them all. Not too partial to his early drone music, hence i skipped on LVE 1 and 2. Also not too partial to his sampling era in the 90s. Which LVE sets after 7 are worthy of a purchase? I understand 16 is quite good?

Thanks for any info.

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
Starwalker

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:21 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Anyone on above?
GrahamH
Even more Cool Member

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:15 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Starwalker » wrote:
Anyone on above?

I've had the Ultimate Edition in my collection for the last 15 or 16 years, so the La Vie Electronique releases didn't offer me anything new in terms of making me want to purchase them, although that said, they do look like nice packages.

It's strange how we all like different things in music, as I would say Klaus Schulze's early music is perhaps my favourite part of his career, album's like Irrlicht and Cyborg come to mind straight away, as does much of his music from the late 60's/early 70's as found on parts of the Ultimate Edition.

Having looked at the track listings on the LVE series, in this listeners humble opinion the strongest of the sets would be LVE 1 & LVE 2. The music on these 2 sets is very much a case of necessity being the mother of invention....

Had a Look at LVE 16, and to be honest, while it's a big set and tempting at the price, it wouldn't be for me.

However Michael Bruckner would probably be the one to ask on this as I believe he's a bit of an authority on Klaus Schulze (that's a compliment by the way Michael) Smile

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:32 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« GrahamH » wrote:
However Michael Bruckner would probably be the one to ask on this as I believe he's a bit of an authority on Klaus Schulze (that's a compliment by the way Michael) Smile

Shocked Embarassed Laughing

Authority...? Well, I guess I'm rather just another of the many fans of Klaus, just maybe a little more "die hard" than some others, perhaps...

That said, if You ask me something I'll usually be happy to give You my personal opinion. Wink

Although I have to admit that in this case I'm not really sure what exactly Your question is, but let's see...

« GrahamH » wrote:
I've had the Ultimate Edition in my collection for the last 15 or 16 years, so the La Vie Electronique releases didn't offer me anything new in terms of making me want to purchase them, although that said, they do look like nice packages.

Well, there *are* a handful of tracks which - as far as I remember - were not included in the original editions. Some of these bonus tracks are pretty good, others not so - I think it's a matter of how much of a completist one is.

In my special case it was an easy decision: being too poor a student to afford them when the big sets were originally released, the LVE sets were the first time that I paid any money for that music (a friend had supplied me with mp3 files of the original sets though two or three years before the LVE series started) - so I welcomend those sets a lot and really had a good time purchasing them (well, acutally there are still some of the later sets missing, usually I get me one or two each Christmas).

And nice packages they indeed have! I also like the chronological order better than the more random order of the original sets...

« GrahamH » wrote:
It's strange how we all like different things in music, as I would say Klaus Schulze's early music is perhaps my favourite part of his career, album's like Irrlicht and Cyborg come to mind straight away, as does much of his music from the late 60's/early 70's as found on parts of the Ultimate Edition.

Although I'm quite fond of (and impressed by) Klaus' early work as well, I have to admit that I, quite boringly perhaps, belong to those who prefer the 'classical' albums from his hey-days (and a bit beyond this) - to me it's "Time Wind" to "Audentity" when Klaus had his biggest achievments.
However, I'm also very fond of much that he did from 1996 on - and also of some of his probably most problematic phase in between...

But You're not alone in Your preference: for example Olaf Lux' (who runs the German Klaus Schulze Forum + FB group) and also Bert Hülshof's (aka Phrozenlight, a fellow EMPortal member and great musician himself) favorite KS album is "Irrlicht"...

« GrahamH » wrote:
Having looked at the track listings on the LVE series, in this listeners humble opinion the strongest of the sets would be LVE 1 & LVE 2. The music on these 2 sets is very much a case of necessity being the mother of invention....

According to my preferences described above, I rather prefer LVE 3 to LVE 8... Wink

« GrahamH » wrote:
Had a Look at LVE 16, and to be honest, while it's a big set and tempting at the price, it wouldn't be for me.

Personally I think LVE 16 was a good final part of the series, but if You own the original sets, I guess the bonus tracks do not justify a purchase (although they are not exactly bad as such).

Given Your preferences, I think the only previously unreleased track of interest to You would be "Totemfeuer" as it is one of the earliest live recordings of Klaus (France 1973) when he still only used tape loops and organ in the first place. However nice at it is, it's only three minutes plus - if we had a bigger chunk of that concert here, it would be a different thing...

I guess btw. You can listen to all the bonus tracks somewhere on YouTube, to check in how much they'd appeal to You...

Acta Non Verba

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV7QusMOzQY

Totemfeuer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iNWLd1v0wE

Trakl Sans Vox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqAjWm1puyw

"Das Lyrische Ich"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH5ReR3h3oE

To me all of these are of "historical interest", but don't add anything essential to the KS canon. "Acta Non Verba" (apparently live in the 80ies?) has no good sound quality and is, to me, the least appealing; I like "Das Lyrische Ich" probably most (...which seems like coming from the late 90ies, or later).

Hope that was soemwhat helpful... Wink

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:22 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

P.S. I just "reviewed" LVE 8 in a private mail conversation (triggerd by the fact that I've just realised that I have confused it with LVE 7 before - so that's for showing how much of an 'expert' I am... Laughing ).

Since I've written it anyway, why not share it here?

---

As for LVE 8, there are still many nice offerings on that one as well, although to my taste it's not quite as essential as LVE 7. "Hitchcock Suite" is great (however it seems much like an alternative mix / different take for / of "Mirage", so doesn't feel entirely unfamiliar).

CD 1: "Danse Un Jardin" is a live track from '79 and as such similar on the recordings on the classical "...live..." album from that tour. Sound and performance are OK, to me it isn't an essential recording, though. "Faster than Lightning" from the same tour is similar, but I like it (partly) much more musically (especially the first 5 minutes with those metallic ring modulator sounds that remind of the abstract opening of "Dunes"). This track features Arthur Brown, nothing bad in my eyes, but I have to be in the mood for it..
"Phonetisches Plakat" is, erm: very sparse - actually it seems like just the percussion track of some composition of which the rest is missing, and except for proving that at times Klaus did some drumming himself as late as 1979, it is of only little interest (even for me Wink ).

CD 2: I already mentioned "Hitchcock Suite". "L'affaire Tournesol" is yet another concert recording from 1979, basically good with some parts better than others, solid sequenzer - drum computer work with the usual soloing on top of it. The same applies to "Bona Fide", a typical KS live track of that tour. It's musically a tad better than "L'affaire Tournesol" for my taste, than again the sound is (slightly) worse.

CD 3: "Keep Up With The Times" is a quite cool sequencer exercise - however since that particular rhythm (which he used in a couple of other pieces during that time as well, including some from "Audentity") is running from beginning to end, and the sound is a bit harsh compared to his earlier analogue sequencer work, it would have benefitted from some edits to make it a bit more concise. On the other hand, it really has part which are quite a gas!
"I Remember Rhasaan" then - featuring Steve Joliffe and Michael Shrieve - is quite a treat, and also a rare case (if not the only) of a KS track featuring saxophone (which works well...).
"A Quick One" & "Count me in", both with Michael Shrieve, are also cool brief electronic jams, with a rare (for KS) "funky" feel to them and some fine soloing. I think you could look at that as sketches / early versions of stuff that happened on "Trancefer" and "Audentity" (a bit wilder and less refined than the official versions).
With "The Martial Law" we have reached "Dzjekuje Ploland" terretory, it's a typical track from the "Audentity" tour with Rainer Bloss. I personally always felt that in the early 80ies, Klaus was still at his best in the studio, but the new digital sound didn't translate as well to a live situation as the analogue sound did; for some reason I found the live recordings from that tour always a bit strenous and nervous. On the other hand, in good moments the feature great soloing as well and have something like a live rock feeling to them which can be exciting as well. This particular track is of the same quality than any from the official release from that tour (maybe the sound is even better). Here's that same sequencer rhythm again, btw.
"Zugabe (Encore) Timbales" finally doesn't seem to really be an encore though, but rather one of the pre-recorded backing tracks Klaus and Rainer used on the '83 tour. Interestingly, I quite like it in that minimalistic form (which seems to second what I wrote above: that sound of '83 worked much better when fine-tuned in the studio...)

The two interviews are nice, but not essential. Cool to hear Klaus' voice from those old days, though (but that's about it Wink )

----

-

GrahamH
Even more Cool Member

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:49 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the review Michael.

I've had the Ultimate Edition for some years now, so it's always interesting to read someone else's take on these tracks.

Starwalker

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:43 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Michael didnt you say Hitchcock Suite is basically off of Mirage? Found LV6 sounding like it was a Mirage repeat.
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:12 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Starwalker » wrote:
Michael didnt you say Hitchcock Suite is basically off of Mirage? Found LV6 sounding like it was a Mirage repeat.

Humm, well Cool - it is *very* reminiscent, quite in the same vein, and especially (I think) the third part of it seems to me like a remix; the other two parts stand probably more on their own; to be honest, it's sometimes not so easy to tell with abstract, almost melody-free and structurless soundscapes like that; for sure it IS very "Mirage-ish" and I'm sure on closer analysis one will find that some passages / sounds / motives are the same, while other's probably are not.

And perhaps I should have been more precise: it's reminiscent of "Velvet Voyage" in the first place (so there are no christmas bell sequences like on "Crystal Lake").

Maybe it's an early take, or a different mix including elements that were dismissed in the final version - whatever.

Since "Mirage" is one of my favorite albums ever, I rather welcome this different version of the material, then again, of course I'm a die hard fan...

Wink

qwave
Waldorfian

germany.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:59 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

LVE 16 Bonus tracks:

Totemfeuer: 1974?
Acta Non Verba: Macksy (live, with Rainer Bloss, 1985)
Trakl Sans Vox: mid 90ies?
Das Lyrische Ich: 2008? 2009?

Are there more details given in the booklet?

"Das Plagiat ist vielleicht die aufrichtigste Form der Verehrung." Alfred Polgar (†1955)

qwave
Waldorfian

germany.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:08 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

The "Hitchcock Suite" is for sure a different take of what was released as "Velvet Voyage". Many sounds are the same (but with different EQ and FXs). Also the mood - and to me "Velvet Voyage" has a VERY UINQUE mood - is the same to me.
Maybe its a rough mix which was later edited by overdubs. Or Klaus and his genius recording engineer Eberhard Panne tried several takes.

I like this track, as it is not that close to the original as the slightly different mix that was used for the "Mirage" rerelease a few years ago.
If it is too close, I start to miss certain details. If it is just another version which isn't exactly on the same durations and dramaturgy, my mind is able to accept it as an alternative version.

Just my thought. Others may differ for sure.

"Das Plagiat ist vielleicht die aufrichtigste Form der Verehrung." Alfred Polgar (†1955)

Starwalker

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:22 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« qwave » wrote:
The "Hitchcock Suite" is for sure a different take of what was released as "Velvet Voyage". Many sounds are the same (but with different EQ and FXs). Also the mood - and to me "Velvet Voyage" has a VERY UINQUE mood - is the same to me.
Maybe its a rough mix which was later edited by overdubs. Or Klaus and his genius recording engineer Eberhard Panne tried several takes.

I like this track, as it is not that close to the original as the slightly different mix that was used for the "Mirage" rerelease a few years ago.
If it is too close, I start to miss certain details. If it is just another version which isn't exactly on the same durations and dramaturgy, my mind is able to accept it as an alternative version.

Just my thought. Others may differ for sure.

Thanx for input , that helps.

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2020 CBACK.de