EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Peter Baumann - Machines of Desire

xxx440Hz
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 11:08 pm    Peter Baumann - Machines of Desire Reply with quoteBack to top

Listening to it...

Discovering...

I am amazed from the first seconds of listening how it has kept the same feeling and mood as in the good old times.

The pieces are kind of minimalist, and do not contain the usual tricks we hear today in modern music.

First impressions : positive.

And you?

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Starwalker
One of the Coolest Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:20 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Amazon US gets in stock May 27th, so i have to patiently wait until then.
HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 3:48 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

a typical example of 'Less is More'

My copy arrived an hour ago and I am 'Now Playing' the b-side of the vinyl version from this outstanding release...

I will give it a few spins before I will eleborate on the seperate tracks but based on what I have heard so far this is an excellent achievement by a highly respected Musician and despite the fact that this year is only halfway imo the revelation of 2016.

Compliments for the excellent service and smooth handling by Bureau B (my first LP in years)

https://twitter.com/emportal

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:45 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Is this a pure "70s" album?

Or are there more modern elements?

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
REWO Records

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 3:23 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Listened to it for the first time on Spotify

cyberiad2001
Very Cool Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:54 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Got this on Friday... have spinned it a few times now... a great album indeed. Very different to what you normally hear today, lots of space in the music, very strong moods. On the surface very simple stuff, but what is there is just what is needed. I really didn´t believe that one could hear an album like this anymore Smile

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:21 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

An outstanding continuation of THN based on the same melodic minimalist style topped up with a great production where every sound can be followed.

After decades of exceedingly complex compositions and productions this is a breath of fresh air, it has all the ingredients of a grower.

Only 2 duds for me: Crossing the Abyss and to some extent Valley of the Gods.

cyberiad2001
Very Cool Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:24 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Agree totally, but in my opinion Crossing the Abyss is one of the highlights Smile Valley of Gods isn´t bad either... Great stuff all...

Actually I was thinking about how retro this stuff really is?¨ The two tracks with Matia Simovich are in many ways rather modern sounding and the rest is just pure Baumann... he just seems to do what comes most nautrally for him

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:52 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I think this album may have a similar history to TD's Green Desert, the concept & sound sketches provided the foundation with new stuff layered on top, modern bass & percussion blended in perfectly.

The beauty of it is it's sheer simplicity, poles apart from what the TD Project do, no wonder PB did not fit into that enterprise and bloody good too because this PB will get listened to over and over while as soon as a new TD comes out the fans will be looking forward to the next one Smile

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:01 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Valley of the Gods is like a mix of Timmy Thomas' Why can't we live together & Jarre's Blah-Blah Cafe, then Crossing the Abyss is atypical 80's instrumental synth-pop, reminds me a lot of Ultravox's Mr. X from Vienna.

So first honest impressions these are not well matched to the rest of the album but they may grow on me over time Smile

Phrozenlight

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:45 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

just a good album, heavily based on 70's sounds.

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
Craig Shipley

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:05 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

What I've heard, I've liked.
OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
lichtblick
Cool Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:46 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Love it. Could be album of the year.
HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
cyberiad2001
Very Cool Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:32 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Me too... The last album that I was this excited about was
Martin Gore's "MG". This is going to probably be even bigger favourite as it gets more listens. I think these two are the best albums by "old masters" in the last decade or so...

Starwalker

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:55 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Cd arrived. Listened 2x. Its very good but didnt blow me away. It has 70s elements but way more modern. I cant see anyone saying this has a total 70s feel IMO doesnt.
HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2019 CBACK.de