EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Peter Baumann - Machines of Desire

xxx440Hz
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:55 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Starwalker » wrote:
I cant see anyone saying this has a total 70s feel IMO doesnt.

For me it really looks like a continuation of what he made before. One can like it, or not. Question of taste.

By the way, that's a good question in the music we like. Should it stay what it was in the past, or should all emusicians play loops and rap and auto-tune and trance-like music of nowadays which is electronic but not in the way we mean it here?

That's nice that something keeps its soul. To a certain extent, KS kept it in all his career. More than TD IMHO.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Starwalker
One of the Coolest Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:45 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Dont get me wrong, i still like it.
HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
REWO Records

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:56 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I heard the album a few times now. And it has started to grow on me. I like the bombastic production a lot.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:03 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I think it's alright, i like the sparse production it has. More or less it's Peter finding his feet again.
VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:34 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« REWO Records » wrote:
I like the bombastic production a lot.

Bombastic is not really the first word that comes to mind with regard to this album...

REWO Records

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:06 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Allright. Quite some dynamics?

Eric G
Even more Cool Member

sweden.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:56 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I think it's great and I'm so happy to hear PB has been able to continue so well after Romance '76, still after 40 years. This is the album I've been longing for but had given up the hope he would make.

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:47 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Eric G » wrote:
[...] I'm so happy to hear PB has been able to continue so well after Romance '76, still after 40 years. [...]

Not sure why he had to copy all the flaws and weaknesses of the first two albums as well (sloppy playing, bad timing, and a stereo mix that sounds slightly arbitrary really do spoil the overall impression).

40 years on and nothing learned from the past? You can like that. I don't.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
klockwerk
Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:13 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:

Not sure why he had to copy all the flaws and weaknesses of the first two albums as well (sloppy playing, bad timing, and a stereo mix that sounds slightly arbitrary really do spoil the overall impression).

I have to disagree completely with this assessment. The first 2 Peter Baumann LPs were improvements on the best stuff at the time (T.D.s classic albums). I'd characterize them as more melodic and minimalistic. The new one, MOD, sounds to me like a album built on a computer, rather than tape.
And I don't understand what you mean by a slightly arbitrary stereo mix.

cyberiad2001
Very Cool Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:31 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« klockwerk » wrote:
« dronescape » wrote:

I have to disagree completely with this assessment.

It´s Stephen commenting...what else did you expect? Smile I love MoD too, really refreshing album, because it goes against the grain of today´s trad electronic music in many ways. What I especially like is the open space in the music...compare that with the current output of the new TD and it is very easy to see why their collaboration with Peter came to nothing.

dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:22 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

A melody line the sits beside the rhythm is a melody line that sits beside the rhythm, whether you like it or not.

This is something I'd expect amateurs to do, not professionals with nimble fingers.

Stephen

cyberiad2001
Very Cool Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:22 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree with that, but I do not think Peter´s philosophy behind the "relaxed timing" is just laziness or "that will do, fans will buy it anyway". MoD was produced by Matia Simovic, a modern day pro, who could have surely tweaked the timings afterwards if they had wanted to. Matia was the man doing most of the actual programming with modern equipment on the album... i think the in-you-face human factor was left in on purpose, as a contrast with what you would expect today, everything to the grid, autotuned, etc. If you check out TD´s 70´s output you hear that Peter had that attitude even in the glory days... his playing, especially on live stuff, is mostly rather fluid and timing is more variable (or sloppy, if you like to call it that)...especially if you compare it with Chris´s, which was mostly on the beat...he was a drummer and a trumpetist, after all... Edgar had always that menadering quality to his lead work...

dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:42 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« cyberiad2001 » wrote:
I agree with that, but I do not think Peter´s philosophy behind the "relaxed timing" is just laziness or "that will do, fans will buy it anyway". [...]

See, this is exactly what I believe -- and what bothered me about Romance 76 and Transharmonic Nights as well. I *hate* sloppy playing. It makes me cringe.

Stephen

cyberiad2001
Very Cool Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:00 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

[/quote]

See, this is exactly what I believe -- and what bothered me about Romance 76 and Transharmonic Nights as well. I *hate* sloppy playing. It makes me cringe.

Stephen[/quote]

OK, fair enough... I will accept that Smile Just out of interest, what�s your take on the Cluster/Moebius/Roedelius/Rother/Schnitzler school of german electronic music? I have always felt that Peter was closer to that scene, especially his solo stuff... for me Cyclone/Ages/Force Majeure sound was clearly the Ed�s and Chris�s part of the vision, Peter�s was probably closer to those artists I mentioned above, in my opinion.

klockwerk
Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:11 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

So what I think I see here is that after so many years of listening to music made with the precision a DAW enables, they develop a preference for it.

Dronescape, do you ever listen to old Rolling Stones albums (68-73) and do those sound unprofessional also? Sorry to be off topic (EM), but these are the pinnacle of sloppy to me.

This is all very interesting, I think.

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2020 CBACK.de