EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Internet became too small...

wmri
Very Cool Member

russia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:25 pm    Internet became too small... Reply with quoteBack to top

I want to tell from the beginning that below text is only about artwork and label behavior for design. This has no connection to my opinion on music on corresponding albums, which I like a lot.

There was a discussion about the Gert Emmens - Triza album artwork, if you remember, that created some confusion about the subject of painting and description. This may happen because you can't carelessly use someone else's art that was created for a different reason, in different community and in different frames of meaning.

I've brought you another example of careless behavior in artwork (it was noticed by one avid EM collector at Russian KLEM). These are fresh remastered release of AD Music's Bekki Williams album and a new project of Guido Negraszus (Akela Sun).

Image Image

This is a new easy way of making artwork that was adopted by contemporary EM labels. While the images are great and fit ok (to almost anything), the unique feeling of a product that was invented completely by genius of musician and his surrounding is lost. Just take all the unique artwork that was made for Groove Unlimited, Cue Records, AD Music in 90s and early 00s? It fits perfectly! It was made by Pablo Magne and Robert Marselje or by musicians themselves, some primitive CGI or photographic artwork is better and more close to subject than all these soulless stock images. And also that word (Remastered) on cover - very bad taste in design, awful!

Just search by image in Google for any of these later releases with CGI artwork - many are stock images:
https://goo.gl/PTnpXs
https://goo.gl/692Oe4
https://goo.gl/QqqCEX
https://goo.gl/t3HrIJ
https://goo.gl/IH2mor
...and lots of them...

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Alvaro
One of the Coolest Member

spain.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:38 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I completely agree with you that the Groove Unlimited artworks were superb. Specially the Pablo Magne works were great, he went on collaborating with other artists outside the Groove label, like Paul Ellis' releases in Spotted Peccary.

Look at these:

Beautiful

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
wmri
Very Cool Member

russia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:44 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Pablo while being quite repetitive in his work is pretty original. But his name is just the one known. You may take any design made by Spotted Peccary or Projekt - they are made from exclusive materials or at least they use some Photoshop magic.

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:09 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I can't help it but I feel a bit fatigued by those mock Hipgnosis sleeve designs... they look about as interesting as I believe the music to sound like: Image taken from a library of stock images or CGI stuff, music of the same superficial library-music quality.

Maybe that's a terrible error I'm making?

"If my name is God-knows-who, the sleeve design is my business card that attracts people's attention. If it looks crappy, why would anyone want to listen to my music then?" (Helmut Teubner, of all people... possibly not the most authoritative source but this observation is spot-on).

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Paul_Ellis

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:01 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
I can't help it but I feel a bit fatigued by those mock Hipgnosis sleeve designs... they look about as interesting as I believe the music to sound like: Image taken from a library of stock images or CGI stuff, music of the same superficial library-music quality.
"If my name is God-knows-who, the sleeve design is my business card that attracts people's attention. If it looks crappy, why would anyone want to listen to my music then?" (Helmut Teubner, of all people... possibly not the most authoritative source but this observation is spot-on).
Stephen

Music of the same superficial library music quality? Really?
Jesus fucking H Christ now I remember why I don't come here very often.
Not sure why you're being an ass about my music. But remember, I've heard yours.
I'm not going to lose any sleep.

Rapsodies

france.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:15 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I remember listening to an album called Appears To Vanish Into The Liquid Unknown. To me, it was excellent music. It was several years ago and I still remember the pleasure that it gave me. I hope that this is by the right Paul Ellis and that I'm not making a mistake.
OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:43 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

A whopping four years later:

« Paul_Ellis » wrote:
« dronescape » wrote:
Stephen

Not sure why you're being an ass about my music. But remember, I've heard yours.

I am not talking about the music, I am talking about the album sleeves and the anticipation it creates for me, on a solely personal level.

If you are not happy with that remark, well, I'm sorry but that's your problem, man.

And please refrain from using cuss words, I am very sensitive.

Stephen

wmri
Very Cool Member

russia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:59 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Rapsodies » wrote:
Appears To Vanish Into The Liquid Unknown

That is a mix of two separate and great albums: Appears To Vanish and Into The Liquid Unknown. Also a strange thing that was also dicussed somewhere too that authors keep changing the contents of their albums again and again. This one is valid for both Paul Ellis and Stephen Parsick by the way. Wink

Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:14 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Paul_Ellis » wrote:

Laughing

GrahamH
Even more Cool Member

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:53 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Paul_Ellis » wrote:
« dronescape » wrote:
Stephen

Well I've got albums in my collection from both of you guys,
and I wouldn't be without any of them.... Wink

Paul, Interstellar-Nataraja I purchased from Groove as soon as it came out.
A lovely, and at times hypnotic, long form piece of electronic music.

Stephen, No sleep 'til Wilmersdorf I purchased directly from yourself prior to it's general release.
An oft dark, powerful album that gets regular plays in my house.

I'm looking forward to both your next albums.... Smile

treibklang

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:40 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« GrahamH » wrote:

Well I've got albums in my collection from both of you guys,
and I wouldn't be without any of them.... Wink

(..)
I'm looking forward to both your next albums.... Smile

dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:54 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, I for one wasn't discussing music or the quality of it -- I was (if I remember accurately, it's been four years, after all...) only referring to the sleeve designs which I dislike(d) because of the connotations they provoke(d).

I didn't drag it onto a personal level (and wasn't using insults either) until someone thought that the shoe might fit... The response my remark got goes to show what the problem of this tiny EM community is -- lots of evil little egoes, lots of toes to step on, and a considerable lack of wit.

Hand-bags at dawn.

Stephen

Paul_Ellis

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:26 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

"Music of the same superficial library music quality" is what you wrote.
English is not your first language, but in that sentence you've gone beyond talking about the cover art to talking about the quality of the music. If that's not how you meant it, alright fine, but you were not as clear as you might think. Pablo's art is fine. You don't like it? OK. we both have crap cover art in our catalog. I have Appears to Vanish you have Traces of the Past. Those are both -well- below the quality that Pablo brings. As for an "Evil Ego"? Well this was one little interaction and anyone with an IQ over 60 can see that no one can be summed up from a brief internet interaction. I have had some interactions with you before that could have been portrayed as an"evil ego" on your part but I haven't announced that to the world because I don't think you are either only "Evil" or "Good". If you're too sensitive for strong words maybe you might consider working on clarity when writing in English.

dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:28 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Get a grip and get a life, man.

Stephen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:26 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Paul_Ellis » wrote:
I have Appears to Vanish you have Traces of the Past.

What's up with the temples on the covers?
Hilarious drama, though. Musically, I prefer ['ramp]. Just to take a side for the fun of it. I'm sensitive, too.

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2020 CBACK.de