EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Vangelis - Delectus

Syn
Very Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:53 pm    Vangelis - Delectus Reply with quoteBack to top

Released Feb 3rd, covering Vangelis' Polydor & Vertigo years, it's a 13 disc box set. Costs £94.00 here in the UK, has some bonus tracks, 3 from See You Later, and Song Is for first time on Private Collection disc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LZXTMZC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486324871&sr=8-1&keywords=vangelis

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
Rapsodies
Even more Cool Member

france.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:15 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I got it for 44 euros on Amazon.fr and it is a must-have in my opinion.
OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
VCO1
One of the Coolest Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:37 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Rapsodies » wrote:

Question Question
I can only see it for the 'regular' price of eur 189,41. 44 euro for a 13-cd box sounds too good to be true.

Rapsodies
Even more Cool Member

france.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:42 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« VCO1 » wrote:
« Rapsodies » wrote:

Question Question
I can only see it for the 'regular' price of eur 189,41. 44 euro for a 13-cd box sounds too good to be true.

It is true. I can't send you the screenshot on this site, though.

VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:47 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I saw some other comments from people mentioning this offer. That was apparently when it was first offered in November '16. It seems Amazon made a mistake. For some people the order was canceled, others - like you - received it. Lucky you.
It is, however, not the regular price.

Rapsodies
Even more Cool Member

france.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:56 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« VCO1 » wrote:
I saw some other comments from people mentioning this offer. That was apparently when it was first offered in November '16. It seems Amazon made a mistake. For some people the order was canceled, others - like you - received it. Lucky you.
It is, however, not the regular price.

Yes, it was a pre-order. I made it last year, as soon as possible.

It's quite unfair that some people had their pre-orders cancelled. The present price is far too high and I'm not sure I would have paid that much for already existing music with only 4 rare tracks (which I already knew) and a remastering of L'Apocalypse des Animaux that sounds just as weak and full of hiss as the original CD.

As for the book, it is indeed splendid but many pictures lack captions and many of them look out of place from a chronological point of view (for instance, there are photos of Vangelis that seem to date back to the China period within the Earth chapter : look at the change in hairdo).

stevepalmer

wales.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:55 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I had a listen to CD01 last night - Earth, my favourite Vangelis album - and had a chance to compare it with the Polydor 1996 original CD. The remastering has been done subtly (thank goodness!) with no volume increase. In fact, the new one seemed very slightly quieter, though that might be a mis-perception. The treble on the new version seems a tiny bit brighter. What I did notice was that some of the "noise," for example at the beginning of 'Let It Happen' has been reduced. Overall, a great listen - as is the new version of CD03, China, which I listened to this morning.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Syn
Very Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:56 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

The See You Later disc is still very incomplete, still missing is Doesn't Matter, Don't Be Foolish and Fertilization. Odd that Vangelis left them off as they were all done during the SYL sessions.

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
Rapsodies
Even more Cool Member

france.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:45 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Syn » wrote:
The See You Later disc is still very incomplete, still missing is Doesn't Matter, Don't Be Foolish and Fertilization. Odd that Vangelis left them off as they were all done during the SYL sessions.

It's indeed a shame Fertilization (or, to me, Gestation) is not included. As regards the Peter Marsh collaborations, I don't miss them as I never found them interesting.

Starwalker

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:13 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Gonna pass on delicious. Always lijed the V man but not most of his stuff
HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:46 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Rapsodies » wrote:
[...] a remastering of L'Apocalypse des Animaux that sounds just as weak and full of hiss as the original CD. [...]

The best outboard remastering gear won't help much when the source tapes are in bad shape, or when the original recordings were done poorly -- which was exactly the case with L'apocalypse des animaux. With flawed original recordings, remastering can only worsen the improvement...

Which is a bloody shame IMO.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
GrahamH
Very Cool Member

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:07 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I've been giving some serious consideration to purchasing this one myself....

The only thing putting me off is that I've never really been that keen on any of the Jon & Vangelis albums.

For anyone that's interested there's a very detailed review of the box set on the Vangelis website that covers mastering of the albums etc....

Definitely worth a read for anyone considering purchasing it.....

http://elsew.com/data/latest.htm

Rapsodies
Even more Cool Member

france.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:14 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
« Rapsodies » wrote:
[...] a remastering of L'Apocalypse des Animaux that sounds just as weak and full of hiss as the original CD. [...]

The best outboard remastering gear won't help much when the source tapes are in bad shape, or when the original recordings were done poorly -- which was exactly the case with L'apocalypse des animaux. With flawed original recordings, remastering can only worsen the improvement...

Which is a bloody shame IMO.

Stephen

I entirely agree with you. That's why I believe that Vangelis should re-record it, as Mike Oldfield did with Tubular Bells 2003, and also add bonus tracks (for this documentary, he composed much more music than these 35 minutes).

stevepalmer

wales.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:46 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Vangelis would be insane to re-record anything - and he's never going to, I suspect. Mistakes, problems and recording noise are all part of the charm of early recordings. Mike Oldfield has never understood that part of the beauty of his first three albums is their imperfections.

stevepalmer

wales.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:47 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

PS - I'm particularly enjoying the Mask album!

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2016 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2017 CBACK.de