EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Node Live in London 2015

Daniel
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:05 am    Node Live in London 2015 Reply with quoteBack to top

Ok, so I was not imagining it: their Facebook page says "spread the word" so here it is:

"OK as promised some news about Node live. We had hoped to be able to announce two live dates one in the UK and one in Berlin, but as usual nothing in Node land is simple and so it turns out that due to availability of the band members we can only do one of them. However that one is now confirmed. Node will play live at the Royal College of Music in London on Feb 27th 2015. As you will probably know Node gigs are rarer than hens teeth so spread the word to those who may be interested! Its possible we may be able to organise one or two more gigs but for the moment this is it. Ticket details etc. nearer the time. Watch this space."

Very Happy Very Happy

My Life has Come

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
BruecknerAmbient
One of the Coolest Member

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:59 am    Re: Node Live in London 2015 Reply with quoteBack to top

« Daniel » wrote:
(..) rarer than hens teeth (...)

Nice phrase... * makes a note *

Wink

I wish them good luck with it!

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:44 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

This is called "idiomatic speech".

That's what gives life to a language.

Here's another one for you: "pulling your leg" -- "jemanden auf den Arm nehmend". See how much more language reveals?

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:21 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
This is called "idiomatic speech".

That's what gives life to a language.

Here's another one for you: "pulling your leg" -- "jemanden auf den Arm nehmend". See how much more language reveals?

Stephen

Thanks, Stephen!

Sometimes my poor knowledge of the living English language makes me as nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.
A little learning is a dangerous thing, you know, and sometimes I feel like a lost ball in the high weeds...

But then again, having great people like you in my corner, who never hesitate to step in to save my bacon with their precious pearls of wisdom, makes me feel snug as a bug in a rug - so thanks a lot for handing over my lunch to me...

Wink

dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:41 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Now you're being sarcastic, aren't you Wink.

It's breakfast time (for me anyway).

Stephen

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:59 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
Now you're being sarcastic, aren't you Wink.

It's breakfast time (for me anyway).

Stephen

Well, You know: if You're going to fly with the woodpeckers, it's good to know the colour of god's underwear, old sport...

Wink

But seriously, just a little bit, maybe - however, in the first place I rather felt slightly challenged in an amusing way; sometime's it's stimulating if someone gives You a reason to use Your brain a little...

Then again, I rather used this admirable website, on which I stumbled upon on just this occasion:

http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/

In our current age (I once was told) it's more important to know where You can find a certain piece of information than having it available in You ROM all the time, anyway...

Laughing

Hope You had a pleasant breakfast (...as for me, I had).

Errm - to bring us back to topic, here's another random quote from that page I mentioned above...

The story will start at the root and will revolve around different branches containing different nodes.

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:25 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

or,
"rare as rocking horse 2hit"
Surely all languages have such things, languages have evolved rather than being designed.
Years of folk evolution till someone invented grammar to reverse engineer a language's structure just to find it full of inconsistencies, then call it a day with some empirical end result.

Daniel
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:47 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Remarkable.

With no malice intended to those who have already posted, but for all the interest that this news has generated amongst the EM community - who have previously held Node in such high esteem - it seems that I must have fallen into some parallel universe where this Node are actually a group of singing Nuns doing a Latin American dance routine.

Does no one actually care that they are playing live Question In other areas of the interweb where I visit, the news of the impending arrival of something special or rare would at least generate a few "Ooh, I can't wait" posts.

Has the release of "Node 2" taken the mystique off the almost legendary EM super group? Was all the enthusiasm used up waiting for the CD?

It reminds me of the grandmother who was complimented on the beauty of her grandchildren. "Yes", she said, "but you should see the photographs".

My Life has Come

Maff
Very Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:03 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Let's wait for tickets to go on sale. Remember, we had 8 years (yes, I counted) of Node chain-yanking on this very forum, so people here are probably just cautiously optimistic. Or too busy shitting on the new Pink Floyd. One of those two.

Was anyone here at the Node EMMA performance? My understanding is that it was controversial at best and the bootleg certainly seems to confirm that. Not a personal favorite.

Daniel
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:27 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Maff » wrote:
Let's wait for tickets to go on sale. Remember, we had 8 years (yes, I counted) of Node chain-yanking on this very forum, so people here are probably just cautiously optimistic. Or too busy shitting on the new Pink Floyd. One of those two.

Was anyone here at the Node EMMA performance? My understanding is that it was controversial at best and the bootleg certainly seems to confirm that. Not a personal favorite.

Hi Maff

Can you elaborate on the "controversy"? All I know of the concert was that apparently the audience gasped as one when the curtain dropped to reveal a mass of modulars. I would certainly have given my best anorak to have been there.

Oddly, I think the Live performance was just about the best of the earlier Node work.

My Life has Come

Maff
Very Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:44 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Meh. The performance has some nice ambient passages reminiscent of the first album, but the rest I find directionless, relentless thundering noise that's difficult to sit through. There are three tracks on my copy and they all sound totally interchangeable, with the same over the top over-driven bass sequence in every one. All IMO of course.

From what I've read over the years, the audience were all shocked to see the equipment but some weren't keen on the music itself. Node weren't happy with the reaction. Graham alluded to this in his review of the original album: http://www.synthmusicdirect.com/node.cfm. Maybe he can elaborate.

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:54 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Daniel » wrote:
Remarkable.

With no malice intended to those who have already posted, but for all the interest that this news has generated amongst the EM community - who have previously held Node in such high esteem - it seems that I must have fallen into some parallel universe where this Node are actually a group of singing Nuns doing a Latin American dance routine.

Laughing

« Daniel » wrote:
Does no one actually care that they are playing live Question

Well - first of all: excuse my harmless clowneries above (there was no malice or whatever intended in their case, either...).
Hopefully they at least helped to keep this thread at the top of the list...

Then - as far as I am concerned - it's like this:

I was introduced to (the existence of) Node (as opposed to their music) - and being told they were a synth super-group - not so long ago, and rather late in my listener's life, and actually came to know their (admittedly excellent) music more or less when they released "Node 2" (although I had heard one or two tracks earlier somewhere before...).

I'm aware that they are admired by several musicians that, in turn, I do admire, and that they delivered the model or inspiration for some of the best music I came to hear in recent years - which of course made me curious.

After actually hearing their music, I, on the one hand, could see the reason for the high esteem they are held in. On the other hand it seems to me - I beg Your pardon - that some of their "copycats" have reached the same level, or maybe even surpassed them (the fate of many role models, I guess...), since their first legendary release, on which their fame is based...

That said, I indeed would love to see them live. If I only could. However, for reasons a. not at all connected to music and b. beyond my capacity to change them anytime soon, it's just out of question for me to travel to London (or elsewhere) to see ANY band perform; recently I've missed many (MANY!) great musicians and bands that I adored all my life and who even played in my area, just because I couldn't afford it.
Even if - by some miracle - Klaus Schulze would play one more and very last show in London, I couldn't attend it; and I guess I'm the biggest die-hard Schulze fan that You ever might encounter...

But if Node came to Frankfurt, the entrance fee would not be to high, and I wouldn't have any pressing obligations on that day, for sure I would visit their gig...

All that said, I'm of the opinion that they deserve a lot of attention, and I wish them a big success with their concert (and any concert they may give in the future...).

dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:55 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Daniel » wrote:
[...] Has the release of "Node 2" taken the mystique off the almost legendary EM super group? Was all the enthusiasm used up waiting for the CD? [...]

Probably, yes.

There have been sufficient other people around for the past twenty years who have made great use of analogue and modular synthesisers. You will always be measured against your previous achievements, and I thought the new album wasn't quite up where it could have been (especially when taking the long waiting time into account).

I hope the "Super Group" thing was quite a bit of tongue in cheek, though.

Stephen

dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:57 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh, as for the EMMA performance, there is a German saying that goes like this: "Their water boils at 100°C as well."

Using lots and lots of modular synthesisers sometimes just isn't enough...

Hey Jon, enough negativity for you?

Stephen

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:15 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

One missing point remains the music which is unknown at the moment Laughing & I've learnt over the years not to dismiss an act/release till I hear the music.

Here is my Node experience from 15.000 kms away staring in 1995:
Node appeared briefly from nowhere and disappeared somewhere leaving behind a couple of CD's I could not hear so I purchased them based on reviews from mail services.
It was years later that I found out more about their identities, the gear they used and the railway station concert.

Considering the short lifespan as an act musically it did not leave a 'cult" impression on me. The return of large modulars was refreshing for some, even new for some who did not see them before.

Looking back through my library by year the big names who created timeless works were either absent or forging ahead with transient melodic, New Age or Power synth works also followed by the EM Indie scene.

Klaus Shulze's 1980 Death of an analog prophecy appeared to be on track.

The UK underground scene like Trans Global Underground, Global Communication, Future Sound Of London, etc. were developing new oddball directions.
Node's appearance in this environment was well timed even if the music wasn't "spectacular" to seasoned analogue ears.

After many years Node's return was drummed up building expectations and after a 19 year gap Node 2 got released to mixed reactions which is not surprising, it's been a long time to simply pick up an old thread.

In 2010 the excellent Dave Bessell Analgue CD came out as a new reference point setting the strongest direction expectation yet which Node 2 did not fulfill.

But I believe something great can still happen, some may be less optimistic but I am prepared to consider another 2-3 albums (if they ever happen) before finalising an opinion.

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2016 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2017 CBACK.de