EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

['ramp] -- synchronize or die

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:58 am    ['ramp] -- synchronize or die Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi all,

after five years of silence, I am delighted to present ['ramp]'s tenth release to you: synchronize or die. In order to commemorate the 20th anniversary of ramp's first-ever live concert in 1997 and celebrate twenty years of unsolicited noise, the album will be released officially on 29th august 2017.

Those past twenty years were busy not only in terms of musical adventures: artistically and personally, some more or less desired changes took place, and here and there some obstacles and new challenges had to be dealt with – not only on a musical level.

This was the very reason why i decided to pull all plugs after the 2012 concert performance at bochum planetarium and the subsequent album release astral disaster: I simply realized I was running out of stamina and steam as the past ten years had taken their toll on me. Rather than carrying on, releasing half-baked albums just for the sake of it, I decided to have a sabbatical for an indefinite period of time, to recover from the strain and to focus on new musical visions.

synchronize or die is the result of this sabbatical. I decided to elaborate on the technique I had discovered for creating complex sequencer tracks and multi-layered rhythmical patterns, without employing computers running audio software: making use of some old-fashioned synchronizers from the 1980s, I recorded multiple layers of sequences onto a digital eight-track recorder, using a clicktrack to tie in additional sequencers while overdubbing or mixing down to stereo. This is the reason why the trusty old friendchip src units adorn the album sleeve.

Most of the tracks were created on my own in the seclusion of my dachgeschoss recording space, with one notable exception: Torque was created in collaboration with fellow synthesiser enthusiast Axel Jungkunst who helped me out with his massive modular synthesiser rig and additional sequencer backings which resulted in one of ['ramp]'s most accessible titles of all time – whatever that means.

I am taking orders now through stephen at parsick dot com (and through bandcamp from 29th august onwards). If you would like to have the album along with the digital download, please wait until 29th August.

The albums ordered after 20th august will start shipping after 11th september 2017 so please bear this in mind when ordering. Direct orders through me will include a free download code for one exclusive track.

Thank you for your support,

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Bert
One of the Coolest Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:59 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I trust this is at last a happy return to the "scene" with some fine crafted and captivating electronics...

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Starwalker

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:41 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Look fwd to this CD.
HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:10 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Bert » wrote:
I trust this is at last a happy return to the "scene" with some fine crafted and captivating electronics...

Well... I tried my very best (as always)... Razz

Stephen

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:20 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Shocked Shocked

...can't wait!

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
klockwerk
Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:43 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

This sounds wonderful, can't wait says it for many of us.

VinceL

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:43 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Sent in my payment yesterday.

Now to stare at my mailbox until the CD arrives. Smile

Richard S.
Very Cool Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:18 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Arrived today, number 18/222.
trickl

belgium.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:40 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Received my copy today. (30/222).
Now listening for the first time.
Like what I hear Very Happy

GrahamH
Cool Member

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:23 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Got mine today (11/222).

Listening to it now for the second time. Without question, a worthy addition to the ['ramp] discography.... Very Happy

Starwalker

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:38 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Damn im jealous, i cant wait to hear it, probably a good 2 weeks until i get mine. Listening to the soundbyte on bandcamp nice phat bass.
HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:06 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks to all who have placed an order already -- I must say I am surprised at how quick postal services were this time around. Last time I shipped out orders, some shipments took up to three weeks to be delivered (and those weren't overseas shipments, mind you, they went to places like Amsterdam or Birmingham).

I'm keeping my fingers crossed to have all of you covered until 29th August -- I won't have a car next week which means all deliveries to the post office are done by bike (I live in the countryside, the next office is five kilometres away).

Stephen

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:33 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Cool thing - found my copy this morning on my desk when returning to work; boy, that's a good way to start into the new week!!!!

Shocked Laughing

It's even still quiet around here, allowing me to give the album a good first listen - and it indeed turns out to be "yet another fantastic doombient release", as traditionally promised in the booklet (and of course as expected)!

The doom factor however seems slightly reduced compared to some of earlier ['ramp] masterpieces in favour of a somewhat more traditional approach, giving us a tad more of that TD / Hoenig feeling (one title seeming to be a nod towards the latter), and some (not all) tracks seem a bit more mellow than before - are You going to mellowed with age in the end, Stephen...? Laughing

Well, hard to imagine... Wink

All in all - I love the album already, thanks a lot.

Favorite track (at this point):

P.S. Also thanks a lot for the bonus track - I have put it between "2600" and "Hanging Garden" in my iTunes playlist, where it seems to fit in very well...

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:39 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
The doom factor however seems slightly reduced compared to some of earlier ['ramp] masterpieces [...]

I suppose you're right. Like Genesis P-Orridge once said, it's about time to do something different when people believe to have the right to anticipate something specific. Then it has become nothing but a cliché.

Quote:
in favour of a somewhat more traditional approach, giving us a tad more of that TD / Hoenig feeling (one title seeming to be a nod towards the latter),

Hoenig was indeed a major yardstick when it came to arranging the album -- I still am in awe of his Departure album, particularly when bearing in mind how he had to record it. I used a very similar approach (eight-track recorder, trigger generators, analogue sequencers etc.), and Conny Plank was lurking around every corner.

Quote:
and some (not all) tracks seem a bit more mellow than before - are You going to mellowed with age in the end, Stephen...?

I suppose so. Fighting windmills gets a bit tiring in the end.

Stephen

Phobos
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:16 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Mine arrived yesterday, but I haven't had chance to listen to it yet, which is really silly of me I know Smile
(017/222)

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2016 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2017 CBACK.de