EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Klaus Schulze/Mirage/40th Anniversary?

Starwalker
One of the Coolest Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:21 am    Klaus Schulze/Mirage/40th Anniversary? Reply with quoteBack to top

Any feedback on this yet? i preordered with Amazon here in the US. I have the original and the second version which was heavily criticized for taking out some key points of the original music. Hoping they didnt &#$ ...uck with the is one?
HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:36 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

It's hard to believe this album is turning 40 this year.

To me, it still sounds completely out of time and place in Schulze's repertoire.

Have the Thunderbolt CD release from, I think, 1986.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Seren

wales.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:18 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Hopefully they have ironed out the glitches from the last reissue......

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:42 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
It's hard to believe this album is turning 40 this year.

To me, it still sounds completely out of time and place in Schulze's repertoire.

One of his best albums for sure; still, I feel there are a couple of earlier (and later) tracks which are in a similar vein (at least parts of them) - how about "Wahnfried 1883" or "Heinrich von Kleist", for example? "Dune" (the track) as well (...and there are more live and studio tracks which were released only later in the CD sets / LVE series).

« Seren » wrote:
Hopefully they have ironed out the glitches from the last reissue......

As far as I know (from reviews and what friends said, don't have the new version yet) this indeed seems to be the case...

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
stevepalmer

wales.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:26 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

1975 - 1982 he could do almost no wrong.

GrahamH
Even more Cool Member

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:02 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« stevepalmer » wrote:

Even earlier than that IMHO....

His first 4 albums Irrlicht, Cyborg, Blackdance, and Picture Music are some of my own personal favourites......

All 4 albums are very much a case of necessity being the mother of invention.....
Lacking the studio and the cutting edge technology that he would later use, these albums to my ears sound primitive, often harsh, and ultimately highly creative.....

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:05 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« stevepalmer » wrote:

...'83. Cool

Wink

dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:02 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I found Dune, Dig It, Trancefer, and Audentity fairly wrong, not to mention what came after that.

I quit after X (which also made me grind my teeth more often than once). Picture Music is where Schulze took off for me -- the stuff before that tends to be a bit of a drag as well. Radical in its artistic statement and quite bold in its striking simplicity but musically nothing I could stand listening to for more than ten minutes.

Stephen

xxx440Hz
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:51 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
I found Dune, Dig It, Trancefer, and Audentity fairly wrong, not to mention what came after that.

I quit after X (which also made me grind my teeth more often than once). Picture Music is where Schulze took off for me -- the stuff before that tends to be a bit of a drag as well. Radical in its artistic statement and quite bold in its striking simplicity but musically nothing I could stand listening to for more than ten minutes.

Stephen

You definitely don't like Schulze Razz

Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:47 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:

Stephen

Dune, Dig It, Trancefer and Audentity

how taste can differ, I love them all!

https://twitter.com/emportal

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
xxx440Hz
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:33 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:

Stephen

By the way, why do you find them wrong?
What would be a "right" KS album ?

Starwalker

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:39 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I personally like all that stuff, audentity grew on me. The rest was automatic
HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
GrahamH
Even more Cool Member

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:43 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Personally I struggled with Schulze's output from about the sampling era in the early 90's onwards....

Royal Festival Hall and Dome Event CD's come to mind, along with Das Wagner Desaster..... try as I might, I just couldn't connect with these albums....

I'm not saying everything after 1990 was bad, Contemporary Works 1 had a lot of good music on it, and Moonlake and Kontinuum were IMHO good albums....

It's all a question of personal taste and preference I suppose.....

dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:42 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« xxx440Hz » wrote:
[...] By the way, why do you find them wrong? [...]

I don't like the quality of the timbres used (early digital synthesisers, sampling, and later the MOR stuff available to everybody made Schulze's weaknesses as a performer shine whereas the analogue sound somehow matched his technique more organically), I don't like the shoddy rhythm programming (which is a fair bit stiff around the pelvis), I don't like the garish sampling bits ("hey, look, I've got a Fairlight!"), and I think Trancefer is nothing but high-gloss boredom. I for one would feel embarrassed to offer *that* little to my audience in terms of musical contents but that's only me, of course.

Did I mention the godawful singing by that bearded fellow, or the stuff recorded with Rainer Booze?

« xxx440Hz » wrote:
[...] What would be a "right" KS album ?

Picture Music (for the raw and crude primitivism of Totem), Timewind (although the first part suffers badly from the obtrusively twittering EMS), Moondawn (which, to me, was liberating in many ways, and the first 11 minutes of Mindphaser still strike me as being absolutely gorgeous), Body Love 1 (when you're 15 years old and your bodily fluids and juices are boiling, this album gets the hormonal roundabout-ride going), Mirage (as I said above), ...live... (Sense has the most stunning ARP Odyssey solo of all Schulze albums -- classic Schulze. Bellistique is equally inspired. I won't discuss the bearded-fellow stuff).

Measured against this, the fairly dumb-sounding alcohol-drenched stuff of the 1980s (let alone the dreadful sampling overkill of the 1990s) simply can't hold a fort.

That's my opinion, of course, tone-deaf Hun that I am.

Stephen

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:08 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
« xxx440Hz » wrote:
[...] By the way, why do you find them wrong? [...]

I don't like the quality of the timbres used (early digital synthesisers, sampling, (…) made Schulze's weaknesses as a performer shine whereas the analogue sound somehow matched his technique more organically),

Hmm… I always thought „Dune“ was still recorded with analogue synths. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, while I tend to agree to this observation in general, I think of KS’ „still classic“ albums from „Dune“ to „Audentity“ the only (studio) album where this shows in places is „Dig It“.
Listening to live recordings from around 1979 on this is indeed more obvious, IMO…

« dronescape » wrote:
(...) I think Trancefer is nothing but high-gloss boredom. I for one would feel embarrassed to offer *that* little to my audience in terms of musical contents but that's only me, of course.

Really…? Funny thing, there is one passage on „Eleven Questions“ by Robert Rich and Markus Reuter that always give me shivers (in a positive way) - and it’s actually very reminiscent of the beginning of „Silent Running“…

I always loved this album and found it always just as unique in Schulze’s catalogue as „Mirage“ - of course in a different way. Also, I always thought that Wolfgang Tiepold’s performance is especially adorable.

Then again, what do I know about „musical content“ - after all I’m just an amateur… Wink

« dronescape » wrote:
« xxx440Hz » wrote:
[...] What would be a "right" KS album ?

(…) ...live... (Sense has the most stunning ARP Odyssey solo of all Schulze albums -- classic Schulze. Bellistique is equally inspired.

I think there are a lot more live (and also some studio) recordings from KS’ analogue phase which were released later („Editions“, LVE) and which are of similar beauty and inspiration…

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2018 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2018 CBACK.de