EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Michael Hoenig - Rare Tracks on Sandpiper Records

BruecknerAmbient
One of the Coolest Member

germany.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:24 pm    Michael Hoenig - Rare Tracks on Sandpiper Records Reply with quoteBack to top

A friend on FB (actually Serge LeRoy, the French musician and producer, some here might be familiar with the name) shared two links to interesting historic recordings by Michael Hoenig via archive.com by a label called Sandpiper Records.

For all I can see, this doesn't appear to be a pirate thing, and the irems in question are really interesting, being:

1. some studio outtakes from the early 80s

https://archive.org/details/MichaelHoenig-UntitledStudioWorks1980

"Rare 1980 set of studio recordings that formed the basis for Hoenig's 'Except One' album"

2. A live version of "Departure from the Northern Wasteland" (the track)

https://archive.org/details/MichaelHoenigLiveRiasFm77

An exclusive for Sandpiper Records and a rare recording of a live performance of the title track to the astounding 1978 Warner Brothers album 'Departure from the Northern Wasteland' by electronic pioneer Michael Hoenig. The sound quality isn't of digital brilliance, but it provides us with an insight into the compositional complexities of Hoenig's work, particularly his intricate minimalist (Reich-like) sequencer phases; and makes us wonder why he was never regarded in the same light as his luminaries and colleagues, Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze, despite arguably displaying much more in terms of talent and imagination.

Funny thing, just a few days ago I thought I would love to hear a live version of that one day... Shocked

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:57 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

If it's that poppy stuff, it's the same that was already mentioned here some years ago. Not exactly spectacular -- and most definitely not up to Hoenig's standards. Sounds more like an exercise at "How to please everyone in the record industry in order not to be scrapped from the artist roster."

The Departure stuff could be a bit more interesting -- didn't know there ever was a live performance of said album.

Will give it a spin or two.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:17 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
If it's that poppy stuff, it's the same that was already mentioned here some years ago. Not exactly spectacular -- and most definitely not up to Hoenig's standards. Sounds more like an exercise at "How to please everyone in the record industry in order not to be scrapped from the artist roster."

No idea if that's the same music as that which You refer too, but the description might be accurate...

Wink

« dronescape » wrote:
The Departure stuff could be a bit more interesting -- didn't know there ever was a live performance of said album.

Will give it a spin or two.

It definitely is!

The recording is of Bootleg quality only, of course, which means it sounds a bit muffled and has an audible amount of tape warble.

Still - as a document very interesting, and nice enough to listen to for a fan, I guess...

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:12 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Over at FB, Bernd Kistenmacher shared his knowledge with us and set the matter straight:

"Wrong! It was never a live recording. It was recorded in the studio before "Departure...".

Same melodies and structures and themes were used for Michael's LP recordings but never in such emotional depth as you can find them on this recording.

The only true thing is, that this piece of music was broadcasted at RIAS Berlin but it was around 1974-75, when Michael still was the wizzard on Moog sequencers.

And yes believe it or not. This is the only existing recording and it was recorded from radio with a cheap cassette recorder by...me!

After that I provided it to friends and over the decades it was copied and copied again. I remember , that I played it to Michel Hönig, when we worked together on the Early Water album. He did not recognize this track first but later he agreed, that it was recorded before "Departure..".

Of course I asked him for the original tapes, but they were gone. Nobody knows, what happened with them because a lot of stuff was thrown away, when he changed to L.A.

So..this is the one and only recording and I have still the original cassette in my archive Wink
Believe it or not.

This music was and is a mindfucking trip to me. And so much better, than everything TD and Schulze have ever done. It is the essence of the essence....THE art of sequencing

Last edited by BruecknerAmbient on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

GrahamH
Even more Cool Member

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:12 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

This is very good.

Incredible if he actually recorded this as early as 1974/75..... Shocked

Just a shame the sound quality isn't all that great,
but it's certainly a superb document from the era....

Being somewhat (very) naive in the mastering department,
I wonder if it could in any way be improved in terms of sound quality?

Thanks for posting Michael Very Happy

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Syn
Very Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:12 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Definitely not 1974.

Sounds more like 1975, after Hoenig played with TD at the RAH. The Sequencer patterns are very similar to what he did with TD at the RAH.

Therefore this is an early Demo recording, before he would go onto refine it on the Departure album.

However a rare find, but i'm not a big fan of this album tbh.

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:09 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

After having listened to the concert recording, I am once again amazed at Hoenig's skills -- even though this might not be as perfect and as elaborate as Departure, it goes to show he is a masterful performer and knows very well how to operate his sequencers (particularly when bearing in mind how primitive and crude those devices were).

I can't quite understand why people seem to be so overly appreciative of the wonky sequencer stuff and sloppy playing that is mostly passed off as Berlin School these days -- listen to this recording and despair.

This definitely is more proof to the fact that I consider Hoenig as my main source of inspiration when it comes to sequencing.

« GrahamH » wrote:
[...] Being somewhat (very) naive in the mastering department, I wonder if it could in any way be improved in terms of sound quality? [...]

(Re-)mastering can only bring out what is already there and make it shine -- if the substance as such is poor, you can make it louder or brighter or more bass-heavy but you can't get rid of the imperfections (or mask them in some way or other), like drop-outs, excessive tape hiss, bad tracking etc., without creating audible artefacts -- which, in their own right, will sound dreadful again.

In other words, shit in equals shit out...

Now I'm waiting to hear some excerpts from the Timewind collaboration between Hoenig and Schulze.

Stephen

GrahamH
Even more Cool Member

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:42 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:

Now I'm waiting to hear some excerpts from the Timewind collaboration between Hoenig and Schulze.

Stephen

Now there's a mouth watering prospect... Shocked

I read years ago about their brief collaboration in the 70s.

I'm surprised it didn't appear in some shape or form
in the Ultimate Edition / La Vie Electronique sets....

VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:50 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
I can't quite understand why people seem to be so overly appreciative of the wonky sequencer stuff and sloppy playing that is mostly passed off as Berlin School these days -- listen to this recording and despair.

Me neither. Berlin School seems to be too often an excuse for lame musical skills.

Syn
Very Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:32 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« VCO1 » wrote:
Me neither. Berlin School seems to be too often an excuse for lame musical skills.

well i guess that's everyone well and truly f****d then.

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:32 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:

« GrahamH » wrote:
I'm surprised it didn't appear in some shape or form
in the Ultimate Edition / La Vie Electronique sets....

I would love to hear that too, one day - but I doubt that any recordings have survived, otherwise they would have surfaced already long ago...

Given they played their three or four shows in late 1974, I wonder if they used any sequencers at that time at all; if I'm not mistaken, Klaus got his first sequencers in 1975...?

Did any veteran in this forum happen to attend one of those concerts, btw? After all, one was in the Netherlands...

1974-11-20 Bruxelles, Belgium (no audience! Shocked )

1974-11-29 Zevenaar, Netherlands

1974-12-06 Paris, France

« VCO1 » wrote:
« dronescape » wrote:

I am, for one, quite happy that such a tolerant genre exists... Wink

GrahamH
Even more Cool Member

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:46 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

For once Michael, being 1 year old at the time,
I'm actually quite happy to be able to say...
that I'm far too young to have attended any of these concerts.... Laughing

That said,
I do envy anyone who was there and hearing this Berlin School
for the very first time, when it was new, innovative and way ahead of it's time.... Wink

dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:03 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

According to kdm, there was another concert in June 1975.

In early 1972, Agitation Free were playing a concert in Moers (!!!, of all places) when my mum was pregnant with me. For some reason I am quite sure she didn't attend the concert, though...

Schulze and Hoenig played at the Forum in Enger back then, just about 25 kilometres from where I live now.

In 1978/79, I used to spend some time in Berlin, just around the corner from Thomas Kessler's Beat Studio... and wasn't aware of it.

Lots of missed opportunities.

Stephen

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:28 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
According to kdm, there was another concert in June 1975.

Schulze and Hoenig played at the Forum in Enger back then, just about 25 kilometres from where I live now.

Hm, interesting: there is an entry for this concert in KDM's list of concerts (on the official KS page), but without mentioning Hoenig's participation...

https://www.klaus-schulze.com/concerts/welcome.htm

Didn't Michael Hoenig use EMS synthesizer with Agitation Free already as early as 1969...? I seem to remember some video where he's performing on three or four EMS simultaneously.

I think there was one EMS model (AKS...?) that had a built-in sequencer?

I wonder if he already used it (...if he had one) for BS style sequences early on, then (I have to confess that I'm not familiar enough with Agitation Free yet to be able to tell...).

P.S. I just read that Hoenig joined Agitation Free in 1971, so either he wasn't on the video I seem to rember, or the video wasn't from 1969.

"Man weiß so wenig..."

- KDM -

Wink

dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:06 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

As for the Enger concert, I think it was mentioned in some liner notes, accompanying one of those mega CD boxes.

I have my doubts as to when the Hoenig recording was actually made -- most definitely not in 1974 as TD and Popl Vuh were the only ones to use sequencers at that time. Mind you, these devices were a novelty back then which Franke was still trying to come to grips with -- there was an interview with Edgar Froese in the German Tastenwelt magazine in 2013 or 2014 where he detailed the rather haphazard way Phaedra was recorded.

In around 1974, Hoenig was using the EMS Synthi A and Synthi AKS in the first place, plus a GEM organ (maybe he already had the Yamaha YC-45D) and maybe a Mini Moog -- I am convinced the Moog 960 Sequencer Complement he is pictured with was borrowed from Chris Franke. Certainly, the live recording was performed after Hoenig's stint with TD, i. e. early 1976 perhaps. You can clearly hear references to the later album recording -- sounds a bit like a finger exercise to get the tone and the Setting right.

For more comprehensive info on Agitation Free, I recommend reading Lutz Ulbrich's autobiography Und ich folge meiner Spur... which is very nicely written.

Stephen

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2018 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2018 CBACK.de