EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

TD vs Schulze?

BruecknerAmbient
One of the Coolest Member

germany.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:39 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Can anyone guess my vote...?

Wink

Anyway, both have added so much great (and yes - also some not-so-great) music to this world, that I simply love both!

Why make a decision if you can have it all...? Rolling Eyes

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
EM154
Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:04 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Each had their moment of glory!
Depending on personal taste, which years are the best
depends on the listener.
Both were hugely important to EM!!!
But both have faded away with time..............unfortunately! Sad

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
GrahamH
Even more Cool Member

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:04 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« BruecknerAmbient » wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Wink

I have absolutely no idea who you're preference would be for on this one Michael... Wink

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:33 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« GrahamH » wrote:

Wink

I have absolutely no idea who you're preference would be for on this one Michael... Wink

I haven't either...

(shameless lie number 238.759 Wink )

Well, on a more serious note, I tend to think that TD were / are better musicians in that good old traditional sense of having "regular" composing and performing skills.

But: KS usually - even on his weaker efforts - is able, in spite (or maybe even because) of his (undeniable) limitations to create a special mood, atmosphere, sonic universe (call it what You like) that is totaly unique to him AND which I really love so much, that really resonates within me, touches a string, speaks to me (again: whatever...).

I think it's no coincidence that there are a lot more musicians, all in all, trying (successfully) to emulate the classic sound of TD, than KS.

First, TDs music appeals more to (traditional) musicians; then it's easier to emulate (provided one has suitable equipment) because it's (to some degree) based on a set of technical skills that can be learned and reproduced.

KS is different, because his music is more individual, it appeal (if perceived) depends more on his personality - thus, I hardly ever found attempts to copy his style successful (usually tending to end up more sounding like TD than KS).

Maybe I can boil it down to my feeling that KS' music has something spiritual about it (even if he always denied to have any spiritual leanings), and most of TD's music is entertainment (even if Edgar always claimed to be a spiritual person). Cool

-

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:46 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

All music is entertainment.

Unless you're listening to Kalle Stockhausen or John Cage, for that matter.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
cyberiad2001
Very Cool Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:28 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

But Michael, don't you think TD's work from Zeit to Rubycon is just as "spiritual" as anything Schulze put out? I agree it all became increasingly about technique even some time begore Baumann left, but i think that happened to Klaus as well in the early 80's... I agree about how you feel about Schulze's work as a whole, but i think there are a lot of reasons for the differences between TD Nd KS in the fact that Klaus did it alone and TD as a democratic team (in their prime). Love them both, nevertheless...

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:47 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Schulze's work indeed is very, erm, spiritual -- or high-spirited, more like it.

Not exactly cask strength but close to it...

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
cyberiad2001
Very Cool Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:58 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
Schulze's work indeed is very, erm, spiritual -- or high-spirited, more like it.

Stephen

Razz

well...joking aside, It was too rich for RB, anyway...

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:42 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« cyberiad2001 » wrote:
But Michael, don't you think TD's work from Zeit to Rubycon is just as "spiritual" as anything Schulze put out?

Good point. Indeed, I thought about that when I wrote my comment...

And I tend to agree - for the albums You mentioned, including Edgar's first two solo albums. Smile

Still, looking at the bigger picture, there still seems to be a general tendency - at least, that's the effect their respective music has on me; I admit that whatever may be "spiritual" is highly individual and everyone may have a totally different idea about it.

Maybe I was impressed by the only time I saw them both live, 2008 at the Loreley festival. It wasn't a bad TD concert at all (given the time it took place) and mostly enjoyed it and was quite happy to have seen them once, finally. But it felt like a very, erm: tangible Wink change of the overall atmosphere when they left and Klaus' and Lisa's part of the show started, and to me it seemed to be a difference of outgoing and (perhaps) more superficial to introspective and well: spiritual - I'm struggling to find a better word for it. This seemd so obvious to me that it really struck me.

Still, of course it could only have been me, projecting my expectations onto the situation...

« cyberiad2001 » wrote:
I agree it all became increasingly about technique even some time begore Baumann left, but i think that happened to Klaus as well in the early 80's...

True...

« cyberiad2001 » wrote:
I agree about how you feel about Schulze's work as a whole, but i think there are a lot of reasons for the differences between TD Nd KS in the fact that Klaus did it alone and TD as a democratic team (in their prime). Love them both, nevertheless...

I also thought about that, but then again, a couple of times (and on some of his best albums), Klaus also teamed up with other musicians, like Tiepold, for example (and maybe in the first place). But yes - TD always was more or a collective, and the individual members brought specific sets of skills - like Schmoelling or (if I remember that correctly) Christoph Franke who had formally studied music, thus obviously being rather accomplished musicians in the traditional sense, which of course helped with the degree of professionalism they could reach...

« dronescape » wrote:

Stephen

I'm amused (mildly). Rolling Eyes

Speaking of "spiritual music" - just while I type this I'm incidentally listening to "Xenopus" by Nemesis, and even though that doesn't evoke exactly the same feeling as music by KS, I would file it under that category as well... Wink

cyberiad2001
Very Cool Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:32 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« cyberiad2001 » wrote:
But Michael, don't you think TD's work from Zeit to Rubycon is just as "spiritual" as anything Schulze put out?

Good point. Indeed, I thought about that when I wrote my comment...

And I tend to agree - for the albums You mentioned, including Edgar's first two solo albums. Smile

Still, looking at the bigger picture, there still seems to be a general tendency - at least, that's the effect their respective music has on me; I admit that whatever may be "spiritual" is highly individual and everyone may have a totally different idea about it.

Maybe I was impressed by the only time I saw them both live, 2008 at the Loreley festival. It wasn't a bad TD concert at all (given the time it took place) and mostly enjoyed it and was quite happy to have seen them once, finally. But it felt like a very, erm: tangible Wink change of the overall atmosphere when they left and Klaus' and Lisa's part of the show started, and to me it seemed to be a difference of outgoing and (perhaps) more superficial to introspective and well: spiritual - I'm struggling to find a better word for it. This seemd so obvious to me that it really struck me.

Still, of course it could only have been me, projecting my expectations onto the situation...

« cyberiad2001 » wrote:
I agree it all became increasingly about technique even some time begore Baumann left, but i think that happened to Klaus as well in the early 80's...

True...

« cyberiad2001 » wrote:
I agree about how you feel about Schulze's work as a whole, but i think there are a lot of reasons for the differences between TD Nd KS in the fact that Klaus did it alone and TD as a democratic team (in their prime). Love them both, nevertheless...

I also thought about that, but then again, a couple of times (and on some of his best albums), Klaus also teamed up with other musicians, like Tiepold, for example (and maybe in the first place). But yes - TD always was more or a collective, and the individual members brought specific sets of skills - like Schmoelling or (if I remember that correctly) Christoph Franke who had formally studied music, thus obviously being rather accomplished musicians in the traditional sense, which of course helped with the degree of professionalism they could reach...

« dronescape » wrote:

Stephen

I'm amused (mildly). Rolling Eyes

Speaking of "spiritual music" - just while I type this I'm incidentally listening to "Xenopus" by Nemesis, and even though that doesn't evoke exactly the same feeling as music by KS, I would file it under that category as well... Wink

Quote:

I agree, but Klaus and friends seemed always be the case where Schulze did what he always did and guesting soloist improvised on top of that...or in case of Harald, provided the drums.

Regarding Franke and Schmoelling, they were/are super musicians, sure... but I fear that part of the downfall of TD later on was partly because of that; it became too much "how" and too little "what" when making music... I felt the Froese/Franke/Baumann line up was much more a joint effort (excuse the pun Smile... musically.

And about "Xenopus", you´re too kind, Herr Prinz Wink Well, they were good times (or the end of those, bandwise)

cheers,
Ami

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:57 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« cyberiad2001 » wrote:
And about "Xenopus", you´re too kind, Herr Prinz Well, they were good times (or the end of those, bandwise)

Oh! Shocked So, You have disbanded in the meantime...? If so, I have missed that piece of information.

I hope not, though...

cyberiad2001
Very Cool Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:25 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh! Shocked So, You have disbanded in the meantime...? If so, I have missed that piece of information.

I hope not, though...

.[/quote]

Not disbanded, but in a state of animated suspension Smile.... Well, suspended animation Smile

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:34 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« cyberiad2001 » wrote:
Not disbanded, but in a state of animated suspension Smile.... Well, suspended animation Smile

I see. Now, that leaves room for hope, at least! Smile Good luck!

thirdsystem

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:54 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Has to be TD for me. I am a 70s TD man, always will be. From Alpha Centauri (third system Wink ) to Tangram is the greatest series of albums by any band for me . Well possibly YES come close.

Loads of other good albums since also. Not keen on the 90s period but there are still some great tracks in amongst those releases also. I also enjoy much of the new stuff.

I do not listen to Klaus as much as I should but love the classics Timewind, Moondawn , Dune. I have enjoyed the newer releases also. Looking forward to the new album.

The music of both has enriched my life and always will. The enjoyment continues.

Qrazy Synth Man
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:03 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

In the early years they were neck and neck but as years pass they began to slow down.

It seemed TD was cranking out titles every month while KS took a long look at his work before he published it.

I heard a TD track on satellite radio called Beach Bay Blanket or something like it that went nowhere. Possibly the worst TD song I ever heard.

I really like their soundtracks though but my vote goes to KS.

Can't wait to hear Silhouettes.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2019 CBACK.de