EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Tangerine Dream - Recurring Dreams CD/LP

Thomas
Even more Cool Member

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:56 pm    Tangerine Dream - Recurring Dreams CD/LP Reply with quoteBack to top

Anyone got the new TD CD yet? I got it yesterday, and it is total bliss. A collection, but almost all the tracks are in new 2019 versions. Really beautiful album. It will also be released on double vinyl LP early next year.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
electrobs
One of the Coolest Member

sweden.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:28 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

No, thanxxx! TD died with Edgar for me. The actual team is just a bunch of session musicians who are doing it for fame and the TD name!
OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Thomas
Even more Cool Member

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:37 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« electrobs » wrote:
No, thanxxx! TD died with Edgar for me. The actual team is just a bunch of session musicians who are doing it for fame and the TD name!

Could not disagree more.

Maff
Very Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:41 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« electrobs » wrote:

Why comment then?

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:39 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Maff » wrote:
« electrobs » wrote:

Why comment then?

Liberty of thought and speech?

Just guessing… what do I know?

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:21 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« electrobs » wrote:

Agree. Actually, for me TD died way before Edgar passed away. Especially the last few years the TD franchise was already run by TQ.
To each their own though. There's also people that enjoy Synthesizer Spectacular. Wink

VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:23 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Maff » wrote:
« electrobs » wrote:

Why comment then?

Because the question was if anyone has that cd. Not if you wanted to post your praise for that album.

Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:25 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« electrobs » wrote:

Sounds familiar...

https://twitter.com/emportal

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:26 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
« Maff » wrote:
« electrobs » wrote:

Why comment then?

Liberty of thought and speech?

Just guessing… what do I know?

Stephen

Yes, that’s why you are here to ‘express’ and repeat yourself...

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:37 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Are you being sarcastic and, if so, why?

BTW, I really do like the billen sleeve design...

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:58 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
Are you being sarcastic and, if so, why?

Stephen

I like your ‘style’ Stephen Wink

thirdsystem

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:04 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« electrobs » wrote:

Zzzzzzz. You’ve already stated this in the other slag TD thread. We get it, you hate that TD are still going producing “sh*te” output “

thirdsystem

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:05 pm    Re: Tangerine Dream - Recurring Dreams CD/LP Reply with quoteBack to top

« Thomas » wrote:
Anyone got the new TD CD yet? I got it yesterday, and it is total bliss. A collection, but almost all the tracks are in new 2019 versions. Really beautiful album. It will also be released on double vinyl LP early next year.

This is really excellent. Love it.

Hope to get the vinyl also when released.

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:32 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« electrobs » wrote:
The actual team is just a bunch of session musicians who are doing it for fame and the TD name!

Well, to my knowledge the term "session musician" traditionally suggests a musician who is hired to perform for one (or a few) recording sessions (usually during the production of one particular album), but who is not a band member.

Also, usually a session musician wouldn't participate in writing the music (except perhaps sometimes for his particular contribution, especially in the case of solos). More prominent musicians doing the same thing are called "guest musicians" rather (like van Halen playing on a Michael Jackson song etc.).

Often - but not always - "session musician" and "studio musician" would mean the same thing, a musician who is hired by a studio and/or a producer and often works with a lot of different - and often commercial / corporate - "productions". Many of those musicians are very skilled performers (otherwise they probably wouldn't get the job), but often don't seem to pursue their own careers as solo artists (or regular band members), but like most classical musicians too, remain comparatively anonymous parts of "the orchestra".

Let's see how that applies to Thorsten, Ulrich and Hoshiko...

- all of them - but especially Thorsten - were introduced as regular band members to TD by Edgar, and all of them contribute(d) to writing.
Something also others seem to agree on...

« VCO1 » wrote:
Especially the last few years the TD franchise was already run by TQ.

- As far as I know, in terms of years Thorsten actually is even the longest "serving" member except for Edgar himself.

- Outside (and before) TD, they were not musicians who were hired for all kind of different projects, but were (and are still) pursuing successful solo careers (Ulrich) or band projects (Thorsten with Picture Palace Music) - and also Hoshiko is releasing original music under her own name (to albums this year) - to which degree of success I can't tell in her case, however she is (as far as I know) the youngest member of the band, and I guess we can give her still time to develop... Wink

So - whatever kind of bunch these three may be, they are clearly no "session musicians" (even if they have released a couple of sessions recently Rolling Eyes ).

Of course, the situation is a career opportunity for them - but why be so miserly and begrudge them that? Edgar certainly had a great career and a full life as a musician, and whatever these three do doesn't take anything away from that, nor from any of the great albums that TD recorded in the 70s or 80s...

Oh, and as for the initial question of this thread:

No, I don't have the album yet. Looking at it's concept and tracklist, I'm also not too sure if I ever will (although I'm kinda curious to hear how it turned out). To me, a new album - with original music by the new line-up - would be much more attractive (even though I admit that I quite enjoyed the new and extended version of "Sorcerer" a few years ago...). Of course, it probably wasn't the best possible move to convince their critics - but then it perhaps doesn't matter much, because their critics don't seem to wish to be convinced anway...

In any case, I need to know their rendition of "Der Mond ist aufgegangen"! Shocked Laughing

Did, by the way, TD do that song back in their golden age, too?

Last edited by BruecknerAmbient on Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:48 pm; edited 2 times in total

cyberiad2001
Very Cool Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:36 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

It's great... Just like Ed Starink used to do 😀

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2020 CBACK.de