EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Ron Boots & John Kerr - Juxtaposition DVD

Jon
One of the Coolest Member

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:59 pm    Ron Boots & John Kerr - Juxtaposition DVD Reply with quoteBack to top

I always enjoy a good DVD of electronic music, as they are few and far between. This one seems interesting. I guess I will buy it eventually.

Anyone others who will buy this?

http://www.groove.nl/cd/g/gr-227.html

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:35 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

No.

I was at the concert and didn't like the music.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:13 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Why didn't you like it? Isn't is melodic stuff like Detachment Of Worldly Affairs for instance?

VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:23 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I didn't like it because the music is way to simple for my liking. I just can't stand the 3 note and overly sweet "piano" melodies of John Kerr. It's something someone with just a few piano lessons would play.
Mind you, I liked - and actually still like - Offshore Islands and the early John Kerr albums.

Starwalker

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:01 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« VCO1 » wrote:
I didn't like it because the music is way to simple for my liking. I just can't stand the 3 note and overly sweet "piano" melodies of John Kerr. It's something someone with just a few piano lessons would play.
Mind you, I liked - and actually still like - Offshore Islands and the early John Kerr albums.

Ditto for me....... the sweet piano melodies really unclassify the electronic music edge and more into the realms of new age, i dont mind piano but just the right amount, not too much.

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:31 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

One reviewer once called it "tea-room music" in an issue of KLEM blad.

Still love the early stuff by John Kerr up to "Citadel". Very creative, and "Reflections" is brilliant.

In early 1990 John told me that he had decided to quit making music for good becuase he couldn't see any point in carrying on. A couple of months later, "Offshore Islands" came out. This paved the way for some not-so-nice albums, and I for one could never warm up to that overly sweetish quality.

Sometimes it's better to quit when you're at the peak of your creativity.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:32 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
One reviewer once called it "tea-room music" in an issue of KLEM blad.

That could have been me... Smile

Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:06 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Reading the comments, I have a feeling I may actually like this.

Daniel
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:48 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
Sometimes it's better to quit when you're at the peak of your creativity. Stephen

Or, in some cases, even earlier than that.

My Life has Come

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:44 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Daniel » wrote:
« dronescape » wrote:
Sometimes it's better to quit when you're at the peak of your creativity. Stephen

Or, in some cases, even earlier than that.

Damn...

I should have quit ages ago.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Yesterday at 16:20    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I finally bought the DVD. I actually agree about the sweet piano stuff by Kerr, not my kind of thing. The first 4 tracks are not too good, but from track 5 on it's all good tracks, minus track 10 which is Kerr again.

The track by young Jeffrey Haster is really enjoyable, the Wavestar track "Time Node" is a very nice 80s TD thing, and the powerful "And The Room Was Filled With A Deafening Silence" may be the best track on the disc, really intense and on-fire.

So all in all a good DVD. I missed some close-ups of the artists though, it's all filmed from a bit of a distance. And it would have been cool with some behind the scenes interviews too.

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2018 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2018 CBACK.de