EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

What and how to move

VCO1
One of the Coolest Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:53 pm    What and how to move Reply with quoteBack to top

As has been said many times, by many people, this forum (software) has its flaws and an upgrade of EMPortal is long overdue. What has been a big bottleneck for the move has been the archive: all threads and messages on the current EMPortal. These need to be converted from the current to a new system. Which takes a lot of effort and time.

I have been thinking lately about another option, for which I would like to get your input. What if the 'new' EMPortal starts afresh, and we keep the 'old' site as a read-only reference? Would that be a big drawback for you?
In practice that could mean that you have to go to archive.emportal.info (as an example) to read every post up till now, and go to www.emportal.info for new discussions.

Any feedback is welcome!

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
SolarPlexus
Even more Cool Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:47 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, that could very well be a brilliant move.

For me, personally, it not a question where the archive is available, but if it is (still) available.

I guess linking archive.emportal.info to the new portal won't be a problem to many.
And if cross-linking from the portal to the archive is available, every possible issue is solved straight away.

Maybe some questions:

- Will user access in the archives section be closed down?
- Will current users migrate to the new portal?
- Will the new portal have new features? Or will features disappear
- Will the new portal be built more future-proof (although that might be impossible)
but some things might need to be taken into account;
* possibly a migration to another server
* possibly a switch to other software
* possibly change to subscriptions/donations (I guess you're no philanthropist either)

I would vote GO FOR IT

Make donations welcome! It's still a hell of a job (maintaining the old and developing the new)

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:45 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

While I like the current version of the EMPortal, let's say, for it's retro charm, I think the technical update is necessary, and You're suggestion to solve it makes sense to me.

If the "classic" EMPortal should be lost completely, that would be a big loss in my eyes, but as long as it's archived and still accessible, it's fine for me...

Naus

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:56 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I wouldn't mind a new forum, but I would like, if at all possible, to retain the join date we all have now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:07 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« VCO1 » wrote:
I have been thinking lately about another option, for which I would like to get your input. What if the 'new' EMPortal starts afresh, and we keep the 'old' site as a read-only reference? Would that be a big drawback for you?

i'd like to the EMportal start afresh, there is so many junk sections on this forum, you don't know where to post properly, then you have sub-sections within sections which make it so confusing. EMportal needs to start again and only have the most important sections in it. If you keep it simple, it's easier to navigate and to post in and a bit more friendlier to newcomers. A bit like the old EMforum.nl was. A cluttered disorganised forum discourages new members to join!

It should maybe run like this -

IMPORTANT SECTIONS:
*News (Forum News)
*New Members (Say Hello etc)
*EM releases & reviews (Your albums etc)
*Gear Talk etc (Synths, Drum Machines, Modular, Effects etc)
*EM artists (TD, Schulze etc, or even artsits on this forum)
*EM & Music Production (DAWS, Software, Monitors, Studio Building)

GENERAL SECTION:
*Now Playing (What's spinning on your CD player, Record Deck)
*Music You Have Purchased (What music you have bought)
*Other Music (Rock, Prog, Ambient, House, Techno)
*Album Cover Art (it's not really essential to the forum though, but some like to post pictures!)
*Buy & Sell (Gear or Music CD/Vinyl You want to sell, Buy or Exchange, ebay links etc)

OFF-TOPIC SECTION:
*Moanzone (Where you can talk about off-topic stuff or just life in General)

HELPDESK SECTION:
*Forum Issues (Forum Problems, Technical)

ARCHIVE SECTION:
*Archive EMportal (old stuff)

VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:51 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« SolarPlexus » wrote:

- Will user access in the archives section be closed down?

It would be a read-only copy of the current EMPortal. So no posting anymore. Also, it wouldn’t be integrated. As I see it, it would be the current EMPortal with a different url and read-only. At least for the foreseeable future.
« SolarPlexus » wrote:

- Will current users migrate to the new portal?

Ideally yes. It might be a challenge, but I understand that’s something most users would prefer.
« SolarPlexus » wrote:

- Will the new portal have new features? Or will features disappear

Both. It will have new features. Most importantly easy access from mobile devices, including an app for Android and iOS. But also tagging, liking posts, a clearer overview of new posts, and more. We would loose the ‘portal’ functionality, basically what’s now the front page of EMPortal.
« SolarPlexus » wrote:
- Will the new portal be built more future-proof (although that might be impossible)
but some things might need to be taken into account;
* possibly a migration to another server
* possibly a switch to other software
* possibly change to subscriptions/donations (I guess you're no philanthropist either)

Definitely more future-proof. Although in IT nothing lasts forever. It would include a migration to a new server, https access and new software. As for donations, that’s a different topic. It’s appreciated you bring this up, but I don’t know if we want to implement it.

VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:56 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Syn » wrote:

It should maybe run like this -

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. This is even more detailed than what I had in mind. Wink But definitely a great suggestion. Since Discourse (cause that’s what we’re looking at) offers tagging of posts, it offers way more options to slice and dice the posts, without having all the confusing overhead we currently have.

VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:58 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Naus » wrote:
I wouldn't mind a new forum, but I would like, if at all possible, to retain the join date we all have now.

That’s clear. Sounds like a good thing. If I’m able to migrate the current accounts, keeping the date should be easy.

GrahamH
Even more Cool Member

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:44 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Whatever way you go with this it's fine by me,
it's the people and the content that make a good forum IMHO. Very Happy

The only suggestion I might offer would be to keep it simple,
as in nothing flashing or popping up.

One of the things I like about the current forum
is that there's nothing too demanding in terms of bandwidth or slowing pages down,
nothing distracting etc.

I've noticed in recent years that the internet is actually starting to slow down,
due to the number of irrelevant add ons, pop ups, adverts etc,
to the point where there are certain sites that I no longer visit,
as they're too distracting/annoying.

Other than that, I'm sure whatever you do will work out just fine,
and thanks VC01 for taking the time to make sure this forum survives for the next decade.... it's appreciated. Very Happy

Seren

wales.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:52 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Updating forums is always thought provoking - what to keep, what to change, what to drop.

I know the forum as it stands has lots of areas I don't look at but I always assume other people do and like being able to do so - Do you have data on which areas are not visited? Not that I want to know it, just to know that you know it.

I think migrating members would be good - though again, would you be dropping members who no longer visit?

I think keeping this up as an archive sounds great. I suspect once the new one is in place for a while visits to the old site will start to fall as conversations pick up on similar subjects. We could even start conversations again....

Given the range of EM music covered by the current website I suspect the diverse nature of posts and subjects will build up again, even if organised differently.

I think go for it, it's clearly something you have been thinking about for what I expect are good reasons.

Phobos
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:29 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Start afresh, makes sense and archiving the old forum would be a good move, so it is still there to go back and re read something or find something you may have missed. Go for it Cool

Daniel
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:02 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I support a change as well. Can't say that I would be interested in reading back old forum posts, but I can see that people might want to access an archive.

My Life has Come

treibklang

germany.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:35 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Starting anew is the best option here. You have my vote.
I'd suggest, though, for the archive to clearly have a link to the new forum site. Forums are mostly about content. If the content is gone (even to an archive) searching for topics will mostly lead to the archive from where it must be clear where to join the reborn forum.

REWO Records

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:47 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I would like to see: back to basics just like the old EMforum as an example. Please remove sections like: movies, books etc.

it is too much.

VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:01 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

A bit of radio silence from my side. Sorry about that.

I think a lot of valuable comments have been made above. Thanks!
If and when I'm able to make it all happen is still a question mark unfortunately. And that's not just because of a lack of time.

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2019 CBACK.de