EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Wendy Carlos' Land Of The Midnight Sun and its influence

ChrisX
Very Cool Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:23 pm    Wendy Carlos' Land Of The Midnight Sun and its influence Reply with quoteBack to top

I love the 2 tracks that make up Land Of The Midnight Sun which you can find on the Sonic Seasonings cd issue. So I was wondering if anyone can point me to contemporary EM music that is akin or even maybe strongly influenced by those 2 pieces.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
ChrisX
Very Cool Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:26 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

So nobody has anything to contribute on this subject? Sad

treibklang
One of the Coolest Member

germany.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:59 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Never heard of Wendy Carlos Image

Phrozenlight

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:14 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« treibklang » wrote:
Never heard of Wendy Carlos Image

shame on you.

Walter Carlos Sonic Seasonings is worlds first real ambient electronic music Wink

Walter became later Wendy
other famous albums of him/her : Tron (soundtrack), Switched on Bach, Orange Clock Work (soundtrack)

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
treibklang

germany.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:55 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Phrozenlight » wrote:

shame on you.

Walter Carlos Sonic Seasonings is worlds first real ambient electronic music Wink

Walter became later Wendy
other famous albums of him/her : Tron (soundtrack), Switched on Bach, Orange Clock Work (soundtrack)

I am ashamed, but I still haven't heard any of those. Although, I am quite addicted to soundtracks, those particular ones I have never been interested in (Tron I know, but didn't care about the soundtrack).
Neither Walter nor Wendy ring any bell. Confused

Phrozenlight

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:10 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

http://www.buy.com/prod/sonic-seasonings/q/loc/109/60009236.html

http://music.aol.com/album/sonic-seasonings/160090

I hope this link works, is blocked on the office so I cant test the sounds

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:13 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« treibklang » wrote:
Neither Walter nor Wendy ring any bell. Confused

I hope you are joking... If not, it's time to catch up on the history of EM. You'll be surprised. Smile

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
treibklang

germany.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:48 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« VCO1 » wrote:

I hope you are joking... If not, it's time to catch up on the history of EM. You'll be surprised. Smile

Ok, I checked the links and samples from her album. Now I know why it didn't mean anything to me. At least the samples show nothing of interest to me. Not my kind of music.

ChrisX
Very Cool Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:44 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« treibklang » wrote:

Ok, I checked the links and samples from her album. Now I know why it didn't mean anything to me. At least the samples show nothing of interest to me. Not my kind of music.

Really? Sonic Seasonings is quite a special album. Apparently the music seems to be able to provoke a physical reaction in some people: i.e. they get very warm when listening to Summer and cold when listening to Winter.

But it's the other tracks on this 2-cd that actually interest me more, very beautiful ambient workouts that together with Sonic Seasonings are sorta an anomaly in Carlos' entire output.

But I'm baffled that someone has never heard of Walter / Wendy Carlos and be an e-music enthusiast. That is like saying you love classical but have never heard of Bach.

VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:21 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« ChrisX » wrote:
But I'm baffled that someone has never heard of Walter / Wendy Carlos and be an e-music enthusiast. That is like saying you love classical but have never heard of Bach.

Exactly what I was thinking. But, hey, maybe I'm just getting old.

I'm not a big fan of Carlos' music either. But I can value his/her role in the history of the genre (and do listen to Switched On... once every few years).

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
ChrisX
Very Cool Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:50 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« VCO1 » wrote:
I'm not a big fan of Carlos' music either. But I can value his/her role in the history of the genre (and do listen to Switched On... once every few years).

I value the whole Switched On Bach series because of its historical importance. The work she did there was just mindblowing, recording everything note by note and still retaining the quality of an actual almost human like performance. But I can only listen to it in small dosages. Sonic Seasonings on the other hand is a regular fixture here together with that other unappreciated album of hers, Beauty In The Beast. This is from the time that she had gone digital and is an electronic world music album. But where as Switched and Sonic Seasonings were truly within the electronic realm with real electronic sounds, on BITB she was trying to emulate real, acoustic sounds. She didn't actually achieve it entirely of course and that what makes this album so interesting in a way. It is that in between sound that is both very evocative (painting sounds pictures of Bali and Tibet) and electronic in a whole other way.

treibklang

germany.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:35 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« ChrisX » wrote:

Well, I am no electronic music historian, and actually missed quite some parts from midth 1990s to 2005. I am an enthusiast in electronic music, yes, but from the point of listening to it and not collecting knowledge about artists and history etc.
I also listen to classical music having famous composers like Bach one cannot overlook (because they appear everywhere). Wrt. electronic music, I must admit, that even Klaus Schulze or Tangerine Dream I only know fragments of their musical works. But, similar to Bach, there is no way to not have heard of them. With Wendy Carlos I cannot say the same (obviously).
To me, it's about music, not about people. Hope you don't mind.

ChrisX
Very Cool Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:43 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« treibklang » wrote:
To me, it's about music, not about people. Hope you don't mind.

Of course I don't mind, it's just that it is something that surprised me. And yes, for me it is also about the music but I do have an interest in the person behind the music because their personality does inform their music. And Wendy Carlos is quite a fascinating character.

treibklang

germany.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:31 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« ChrisX » wrote:
Of course I don't mind, it's just that it is something that surprised me. And yes, for me it is also about the music but I do have an interest in the person behind the music because their personality does inform their music. And Wendy Carlos is quite a fascinating character.

Fair enough.
Maybe I am a bit odd here. A person only interests me in a deeper sense, if we are closely related. Image

Bruce
Cool Member

canada.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:47 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Wendy Carlos has done not one, not two, but three albums that were completely ground-breaking and unlike anything which preceded them:

- Switched-On Bach: First successful all-electronic album, was a big hit, spawned countless inferior imitators. There are piles of "switched on" albums from the late 60s and early 70s but most of them are dire, being hastily-recorded conventional instrumentation with a few synth overdubs. Nobody took the time and care that Wendy did... until Tomita came along, anyway.

Personally, while I recognize the historical significance of this album and all the talent and work that went into it, I seldom listen to it for the simple reason that I detest Bach.

- Sonic Seasonings: First ambient album, easily 20 years ahead of its time. Beautiful, hasn't dated at all, and far more listenable than most of Brian Eno's albums even though he's been given credit for creating the genre. It's free-flowing and atmospheric, pretty much the exact opposite of S-o-B with its rigid structures and mathematical precision. This album is absolutely essential in my books.

- Beauty In The Beast: of far greater significance than the imitative synthesis is the fact that this album was all done with alternate tunings, thus liberating electronic music from 12-tone equal temperment. Oh, and it's excellent too.

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2019 CBACK.de