EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

TD Box Set

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:29 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

The book could have done with some proper proof-reading, there are some flaws in it which should have been obvious.

The biggest error I came across when reading was the claim that Chris Franke purchased his Big Moog from Florian Fricke (of Popol Vuh) and sold it to Klaus Schulze later on. This is not quite true; Franke got the Moog IIIp that was stored away at Hansa Studio because the Rolling Stones had left it behind. He came across it by chance, and originally, he was allowed to use it in order to find out how it worked, and then he could patch it up for Hansa clients (I think Franke elaborated on this in one issue of Dreams Word). Schulze purchased his IIIp directly from Florian Fricke (in the 1988 Schulze book, there is a nice recollection of how he picked it up in Munich, after a twelve-hour ride across snow-covered motorways).

The second IIIp Franke acquired shortly after recording Phaedra had originally been owned by The Moody Blues (of all people...).

Stories like this are well-known to all synth enthusiasts around the world -- I have no clue where they got their info from...

Oedipus Tyrannus was quite a surprise, and a good one! I didn't know that some bits were later used for the closing section of Rubycon Part 2... this is the type of history lesson I really enjoy attending.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
ModularG2
Cool Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:06 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

The 5.1 stuff is amazing, including Oedipus Tyrannus.
OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
VinceL
Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:18 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Jon » wrote:
Jerome is not too happy about the fact that his mother is not mentioned in the box set. Quite understandable reaction!

Actually, she does get one very brief mention. When discussing Ricochet, the book mentions that the photograph for the cover was taken by her.

Very unfortunate that she didn't get more mention especially with regard to the album covers and the small pictures of Jerome on them.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    Happy Birthday
VinceL
Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:27 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Maybe it's me (I pulled a muscle in my back and am taking muscle relaxers...I'm feeling no pain), but in listening to disc 4 (Victoria concert part 1), for about the first 20 minutes, it sounds like all the sound comes from about the center, with some sounds panned right. Around the 20 minute mark, the sequencer and other sounds suddenly pop up panned left. From that point forward, it is a nice wide stereo mix.

Is it:
- My drug-addled hearing?
- Something with my CD?
- The way it really sounds?

I plan to give it another listen tomorrow.

VCO1
One of the Coolest Member

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:04 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« VinceL » wrote:
« Jon » wrote:
Jerome is not too happy about the fact that his mother is not mentioned in the box set. Quite understandable reaction!

Actually, she does get one very brief mention. When discussing Ricochet, the book mentions that the photograph for the cover was taken by her.

Very unfortunate that she didn't get more mention especially with regard to the album covers and the small pictures of Jerome on them.

Quite understandable from Jerome. It looks like Monika Froese's role in TD's history gets 'erased' by the "new" Mrs. Froese. Who seems to be a quite dominant figure.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
24db

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:50 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

No, sorry, that's not true at all. In fact, Universal have even misspelled Bianca's name in the book (and every CD). Her involvement in the set was next to nothing, and the present band members - 100% nothing. Dreadful oversight not to include Monika's credit certainly - yes (bar ONCE in the book and she's also mentioned in the essay). Also, note that Edgar isn't credited for any of his paintings, Graphiti for their layout or Brian Cooke & Trevor Key's artwork for Stratosfear (book & CDs).

ps Jerome's comments are about the single CDs not the boxset
pps: Monika is also interviewed in the German documentary on one of the Blu Rays (with English subtitles) talking about her artwork

Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:53 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

There was a 1988 Klaus Schulze book?? Where??

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
VinceL
Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:19 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Jon » wrote:

I'd be interested in this, too.

The only Klaus Schulze book that I am aware of is the 2008 book by Greg Allen.

VCO1

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:11 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« VinceL » wrote:
« Jon » wrote:

I'd be interested in this, too.

The only Klaus Schulze book that I am aware of is the 2008 book by Greg Allen.

The book is Klaus Schulze ...eine musikalische Gratwanderung
and is actually from 1986.

Seren

wales.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:00 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Bloody hell, I just did an ebay search for Klaus Schulze in books and a 1983 edition of penthouse came up...
...Not sure my wife would like me buying that one...

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:57 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Seren » wrote:
Bloody hell, I just did an ebay search for Klaus Schulze in books and a 1983 edition of penthouse came up...

Laughing Laughing Laughing

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:17 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Seren » wrote:

"It's for the interviews, dear, only for the interviews."

Right, the Schwinn book dates back to 1986 -- I bought it in 1988, that's why I mixed up the release dates.

Stephen

Anti-Flo

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:37 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
The book could have done with some proper proof-reading, there are some flaws in it which should have been obvious.

The biggest error I came across when reading was the claim that Chris Franke purchased his Big Moog from Florian Fricke (of Popol Vuh) and sold it to Klaus Schulze later on. This is not quite true; Franke got the Moog IIIp that was stored away at Hansa Studio because the Rolling Stones had left it behind. He came across it by chance, and originally, he was allowed to use it in order to find out how it worked, and then he could patch it up for Hansa clients (I think Franke elaborated on this in one issue of Dreams Word). Schulze purchased his IIIp directly from Florian Fricke (in the 1988 Schulze book, there is a nice recollection of how he picked it up in Munich, after a twelve-hour ride across snow-covered motorways).

Wouter Bessels has made a right mess of the book in places. Especially the Road to PHEADRA title and as you say the acquisition of the moog by Franke.

It's all done and dusted now too late to change the errors, there won't be another repress of the Box-Set as it's a one-off only.

« Seren » wrote:

Don't show your wife the album cover for Body Love Vol. 2 Laughing

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
Rapsodies

france.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:23 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I listened to the 3 Phaedra CDs yesterday.

I found the music of the 97 minutes of rarities absolutely fascinating : excellent music, lots of it and with a very good sound quality. A fan's dream come true at last ! Very Happy

Regarding the sound quality of the remaster of the Phaedra album, I found it very good : clear, distinct and strong. I just have 2 questions !

1) In Mysterious Semblance, the sound seems to go completely to the right, then completely to the left, then back again, often. I listened to the 1995 remaster again and this trend was here indeed, but much less, much more discreetly. I wonder why Steven Wilson did that odd thing. If he hadn't, I would have been more satisfied with the result. Question Finally, what is the interest of the following stereo remixes ?

2) In this new remaster, the children sounds are heard at the end of the long title track and the book says they were added because this track was too short. The thing is, in the 1995 remaster, the children are heard at the beginning of track 2, not at the end of track 1 ! Therefore, the track lengths are noticeably different. Has anyone else noticed that and do you know where the children should finally be ? Question

Next Saturday, I'll listen to the first concert (1974). I'm impatient. Smile

GrahamH
Even more Cool Member

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:39 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Rapsodies » wrote:

2) In this new remaster, the children sounds are heard at the end of the long title track and the book says they were added because this track was too short. The thing is, in the 1995 remaster, the children are heard at the beginning of track 2, not at the end of track 1 ! Therefore, the track lengths are noticeably different. Has anyone else noticed that and do you know where the children should finally be ? Question

Next Saturday, I'll listen to the first concert (1974). I'm impatient. Smile

From memory there was a mistake with the 1995 remaster that had the children appearing at the beginning of track 2,
rather than it was originally recorded i.e at the end of track 1.
Listening to the original vinyl should confirm this. Very Happy

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2019 CBACK.de