EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Brückner - The Undercurrent - review by S. Schelle

BruecknerAmbient
One of the Coolest Member

germany.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:50 pm    Brückner - The Undercurrent - review by S. Schelle Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm happy to announce that my new album

The Undercurrent

has been released today on Syngate/Waves!

https://michaelbrueckner-syngate.bandcamp.com/album/the-undercurrent-24-bit

It's my seventh solo album released on the label, I hope that's an auspicious number. Wink

The music of this album reflects my feelings about a lot of things going on in the world on the social, political and ecological level right now and tells a tale of contrasts between sinister tendencies and bright hopes, between decay and growths and between stagnation and evolution.

You can find more detailed information about the "making of" of "The Undercurrent" on the album's BC page.

Many thanks to Norbert Zumdiek who provided most of the images for the cover art!

Please note two further details:

- the download version is in 24 bit quality (provided you choose one of the uncompressed formats, like WAVE or FLAC)

- the download also includes three bonus tracks; two of them are alternative pieces that can replace track 1 and/or 3 of the CD version (replacing means they are mixed in such a way that also the continuous flow from track to track remains intact...)

Thanks everyone for Your attention and enjoy the music! Smile

Last edited by BruecknerAmbient on Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:37 pm; edited 8 times in total

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:11 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Reviewer Michael Hodgson found nice words about "The Undercurrent" for Progarchives online magazine! Mr. Green

He draws the conclusion:

"It's not easy to deliver proggy electronic music and not have it instantly sound like a science-fiction soundtrack, but Brückner has achieved that again here, and while `The Undercurrent' may be constantly melodic and rhythmic based, it's never at the expense of intelligently drawn out pieces with plenty of energetic soloing.
Michael must be the eternal optimist, because one thing that instantly stands out about this disc is that, while it offers more sombre and confronting moments, there is a constant sense of triumph, humanity and hope always emerging throughout.

Four stars for another superb disc from the artist."

Read Michael's full review here:

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=2282991

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:09 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

"The Undercurrent" is currently featured as "album of the week" at the German electronica radio station Modul303 - thanks to the boys there for that! Smile

https://www.modul303.com/album-der-woche-48-2019-the-undercurrent-by-michael-brueckner/

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:19 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

German reviewer Jochen König wrote a detailed and positive review of "The Undercurrent" for musikreviews.de...

Read Jochen's original (German) review here - or my (rough) English translation below:

http://musikreviews.de/reviews/2019/Michael-Brueckner/Undercurrent/

----------------

"The Undercurrent" is MICHAEL BRÜCKNER's seventh solo release on the Syngate label, which has already released his debut. Most of the tracks on the album date from 2016 and some of them can be found on various compilations. Still Brückner chooses the album form consciously: "This album tells a story of contrasts between dark tendencies and shining hope, between decline and growth, between stagnation and evolution...".

The music is accordingly varied. Flowing, melancholic passages alternate with strong rhythmic accents ("Activate!"). Even if the basic tone is sad and thoughtful, the anger about the misconduct of the earth's population is quite noticeable. This does not translate into a dissonant play with complete structural dissolution (Brückner probably doesn't want to be a Penderecki at all), but at times it gains a strong sharpness. This is supported by the integration of spoken sequences.
In transitions and after the second part of "A Greater Hope" we hear an African boy who stepped up to the podium during a climate demonstration in London. "The Unanswered Question" contains the beginning of the opening speech of the American senator, governor and environmental activist Gaylord Nelson on the first Earth Day in 1970, accompanied by darkly boiling ambient sounds:

"Earth Day can - and it must - lend a new urgency and a new support to solving the problems that still threaten to tear the fabric of this society... the problems of race, of war, of poverty, of modern-day institutions. Ecology is a big science, a big concept - not a copout. It is concerned with the total eco-system - not just with how we dispose of our tin cans, bottles and sewage. [Sounds familiar? They knew that 50 years ago. At least smart heads like Nelson...] Our goal is not just an environment of clean air and water and scenic beauty. The objective is an environment of decency, quality and mutual respect for all other human beings and all other living creatures".
At what point, at what time did mankind take a wrong turn and when a despiser of all of Nelson's wishes (and of humanity) like Donald Trump became possible in the USA?

Of course, "The Undercurrent" is not a political manifesto that subordinates the music to its message. Everyone is free to chill to the floating sounds (like in the twelve "Mount Tuna" extra minutes), to experience their own road movie ("A Greater Hope") in the rhythmic pieces or simply to let themselves go in the sometimes stirring, sometimes spherical passages. The thoughts behind it will spread anyway.

CONCLUSION: "The Undercurrent" offers moments of beguiling beauty, purrs, hisses and rears itself up rumbling. An album for dreamy immersion as well as for increasing one's cognitive perception - for the music and for everything that goes on "out there". Whether you take the political and philosophical impulses with you or not is up to you. "The Undercurrent" works one way or the other and shows how modern and important music can be that has visited the Berlin school, that knows TANGERINE DREAM and VANGELIS well during "Blade Runner" times and remains quite original all the same...

Jochen König, for musikreviews.de

13 points (of 15)

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:01 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

EM reviewer Sylvain Lupari also wrote down some very positve observations "The Undercurrent" for his online magazine Synth&Sequences.

"An an album inspired by social, ecological and geopolitical awareness (...) like an architect in his studio, MB has reworked everything into an immensely musical mosaic rich of his subject."
- 4,25 Stars (of 5)

Read the full in-depth review here (there's also a French version on the Synths&Sequences page...):

https://www.synthsequences.com/post/michael-brückner-the-undercurrent-2019

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:37 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

In came another review: Siggy Zielinski of Babyblaue Seiten Prog-Reviews found some witty and pointed (and positive!) words to say about "The Undercurrent"! Smile

Read his original review here, or my (rough) English translation below:

http://www.babyblaue-seiten.de/album_18475.html#oben

The pieces for "The Undercurrent" were created between 2013 and 2016 and were intended for very different occasions, such as compilations, concerts and testing of new equipment.
Recently, Michael Brückner had probably been looking for ideas and themes for his new CD that could reflect his thoughts about the current developments of this world. Developments that seem to be very contradictory, confusing and serious and are therefore ideal for reflection. So the previously unused pieces of the last years came in handy for him and he was able to make a (hopefully) coherent album out of them.

In keeping with the difficult and at the same time diverse themes, the music sometimes seems melancholic and thoughtful, sometimes light-footed and optimistic.

"The Undercurrent Part 1 (Subliminal)" and "The Unanswered Question", which are held in the spirit of the "Berlin School" and Klaus Schulze respectively, stand out very pleasantly due to a well thought-out and multi-layered network of melodic and rhythmic ideas. The compact-melodic, sometimes poppy "A Greater Hope" tries to spread optimism and reminds of Tangerine Dream as they played in the 80s. "24 Hours And 16 Days (In Amnesia)" moves from the melancholic ambient soundscapes to the sequencer motifs that have an uplifting effect on me. With an (almost) real drum sound and sounding like a healthy zest for action, "Activate!" seems to flirt a bit with symphonic progressive rock.

I am happy to say that after what feels like at least 200 albums in the field of electronic music, the tireless Michael Brückner still knows how to please the friends of this genre with fresh ideas.

10 points (of 15)

Siggi Zielinski for Babyblaue Seiten, 12-19

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:49 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

"The result is rhythmic, melodic and contemporary (...) Michael is at his best when (...) strings of catchy sequencer patterns paired with assorted rhythm create beams of wonderful, versatile energy..."

Many thanks to our fellow EMP member Bert Strolenberg for his review of "The Undercurrent" on his excellent review page "Sonic Immersion"! Smile

You can read Bert's complete review here:
http://www.sonicimmersion.org/michael-bruckner-the-undercurrent/

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:06 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Reviewer Carsten Agthe wrote a nice little review of "The Undercurrent" for the current issue of ECLIPSED (print) magazine!

Here's my (rough) English translation of it:

---------

Electronica / Berlin School

MICHAEL BRÜCKNER
"The Undercurrent"
(Syngate)

7 stars (of 10)

Similar: Tangerine Dream; Klaus Schulze;
Broekhuis, Keller & Schönwälder

"All music conceiverd, performed, recorded and produced by Michael Brückner between 2013 and 2019 (but mostly in 2016)". Not that the musician had been relatively inactive between 2013 and 2019 - on the contrary, his presence at Bandcamp shows his ambitious enthusiasm for releases. However, certainly there was some material left that still needed a concept for a release. Nevertheless, "The Undercurrent" is more of a homogeneous album than a collection of leftovers.
First of all, there is the title track, which is a two-part, ten-minute pulse flow and combines Trance with Berlin School in a completely unagitated way.
With "Activate!" there is a discreet course correction towards Krautrock by means of drums, and while "A Greater Hope" shows a laudation to Tangerine Dream & Co., "The Unanswered Dream" (note: actually "Question") takes us directly into Nirvana in its 21 minutes of playing time.

Top track: The Unanswered Dream (Question)

C.A.

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:15 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Dutch music journalist and editor Paul Rijkens wrote a positive review of "The Undercurrent" for his print magzine I/O!

You can read my rough English translation here, or Paul's original review (for all You Dutchmen in the portal Wink ) below that:

MICHAEL BRÜCKNER
The Undercurrent
(SYNGATE)
#electronic music #melodic

The German Michael Brückner is a particularly active practitioner of electronic music. His music, solo and with others, is very varied in character. For example, he makes electronic "rock" with the band P'Faun and recently released some CDs with ambient music on which he can be heard.
The Undercurrent contains music Michael composed between 2013 and 2019, mainly in 2016. On this album (it's a cdr; the Syngate label only releases cdr's, which are of excellent quality by the way) it's mainly melodic music that strikes the chord.

The opening piece "The Undercurrent Part 1 (Subliminal)" starts with beautiful rhythmic sounds and a strong atmosphere. It reminds me a bit of the music of Ron Boots.
In "A Greater Hope" sequences are central.
"24 Hours And 16 Days (In Amnesia)" reminds a bit of the early music of Robert Schroeder.
In "Activate!" the music becomes more rhythmic after which peace returns in the beautiful, threatening "Mount Tuna (The Opening)".
The sequences return in "The Undercurrent Part 2 (Messages)".
Drums are heard again in "A Greater Hope (Reprise)" after which the CD ends in style with calm atmospheres in "The Unanswered Question". For this a sampled voice of Gaylord Nelson is used.

It's all quite enjoyable, the best CD I've heard so far from Michael.

Paul Rijkens

MICHAEL BRÜCKNER
The Undercurrent
(SYNGATE)
#elektronischemuziek #melodieus

De Duitser Michael Brückner is een bijzonder actief beoefenaar van elektronische muziek. Zijn muziek, solo en met anderen, is zeer afwisselend van karakter. Zo maakt hij elektronische “rock” met de band P’Faun en verschenen er onlangs enkele cd’s met ambientmuziek waarop hij te horen is.
The Undercurrent bevat muziek die Michael componeerde tussen 2013 en 2019, voornamelijk in 2016. Op dit album (het is een cdr; het label Syngate brengt alleen cdr’s uit, die overigens wel van prima kwaliteit zijn) is het met name melodieuze muziek wat de klok slaat.

Het openingsstuk The Undercurrent Part 1 (Subliminal) begint met fraaie ritmische klanken en een sterke sfeer. Het doet mij wat denken aan de muziek van Ron Boots.
In A Greater Hope staan sequences centraal.
24 Hours And 16 Days (In Amnesia) heeft wat weg van de vroege muziek van Robert Schroeder.
In Activate! wordt de muziek ritmischer waarna de rust wederkeert in het gave, dreigende Mount Tuna (The Opening).
De sequences keren terug in The Undercurrent Part 2 (Messages).
Drums horen we opnieuw in A Greater Hope (Reprise) waarna de cd in stijl eindigt met kalme sferen in The Unanswered Question. Hiervoor wordt een gesamplede stem gebruikt van Gaylord Nelson.

Het is allemaal behoorlijk te genieten, de beste cd’s die ik tot op heden van Michael heb gehoord.

Paul Rijkens

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:30 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Stephan Schelle wrote a positive review of "The Undercurrent" for his online music magazine "Musikzirkus Magazin"!

Read Stephan's original (German) review here or my (rough) English translation below:

http://www.musikzirkus-magazin.de/dateien/Pages/CD_Kritiken/elektronik/michael_brueckner_the_undercurrent.htm

Michael Brückner - The Undercurrent
SynGate Records (2019)
(8 pieces, 77:24 minutes playing time)

Only some weeks after the release of Michael Brückner's 3CDs in the series "Astronauts" with Volume 2, he presented another CDR with "The Undercurrent" on the German electronic label SynGate (on the sub-label Wave). Most of the material on the album was written in 2016 though. Some of the songs have also been released on compilations before.

On "The Undercurrent" Michael has tried to express his feelings about current social, political and ecological issues and events that are currently happening in the world with his music. Among other things he wants to show the contrasts between dark or bad tendencies and great hopes, between decay and growth and between stagnation and development. These are current topics, in other words, that are currently preoccupying us all.
In addition to the CDR, the album will be released on SynGate as a download version, with three more tracks as a bonus. However, the CDs will also be equipped with a download code. My review copy didn't have this code, so I limit myself to the eight tracks of the CDR version. The eight tracks were directly connected by Michael with sounds and effects, so that a 77min long track was created.

The album starts with the almost eleven minute long "The Undercurrent Part 1 (Subliminal)". Part 2 was then put by Michael at position 6. This opener starts with drop-like echo effects, and underlaid with a slightly booming synth sound. After a good minute, harmonies follow, which due to their timbre seem quite nostalgic, but not outdated. Michael creates a wonderfully relaxed atmosphere. The piece evolves slowly and after a little more than four minutes it gains dynamics. Wonderful sounds now determine the picture, which captivate the listener. More and more this track becomes an almost monumental piece with hymnic elements.

This is followed by the melodic and rhythmic "A Great Hope". A young voice has been integrated by Michael into this track. Whether it is Greta Thunberg, however, is not to be taken from the booklet. Pulsating and sparkling sounds then lead into the nine minutes long "24 Hours And 16 Days (In Amnesia)". The first minutes consist more of atmospheric sounds, which then after two and a half minutes turn into a rhythmic, percussive part. Michael has put together a great sound sequence to a rhythmic track. Some sound sequences remind of Kraftwerk, but without copying it. A great track.

The ten minute track "Activate!" has a slight rock impact, especially because of the quite organic sounding drums. Michael works with a very melodic approach in this track. Somewhat psychedelic and experimental is the only 2:35 minutes long "Mount Tuna (The Opening)".

Some timbres are taken over by Michael from the opener "The Undercurrent Part 1 (Subliminal)" into the 11:11 minutes long "The Undercurrent Part 2 (Messages)". However, this is not a variation of the first part, but a completely individual piece. Fascinating sound sequences, whose dynamics increase towards the end, create captivating moments. In "A Great Hope (Reprise)" Michael then takes up the thread of "A Great Hope" and spins it further.

The CD ends with the 21 minutes long "The Unanswered Question", in the middle part of which Michael again has inserted some samples. It's a statement of the American politician Gaylord Nelson, which he made when he founded "Earth Day" in April 1970. At first this piece starts quite calm and spherical, later on it is completed by some sequencer rhythms and melodic arcs (incl. very appealing percussion). Thus it oscillates between the "Berlin School" and the Eindhoven style.
Michael Brückner's latest work, entitled "The Undercurrent", again offers a high standard of quality. A very nice melodic album.

Stephan Schelle, December 2019

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2020 CBACK.de