EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Favourite albums of 2019

Jon
One of the Coolest Member

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:14 pm    Favourite albums of 2019 Reply with quoteBack to top

Bring us your list! As many titles as you want. Here is mine:

1. Johannes Schmoelling & Robert Waters - Zeit Unendlich? - Live (2CD + DVD)
2. Sverre Knut Johansen - Precambrian (CD)
3. Kebu - Live In Oslo (DVD + 2CD)
4. Harold Faltermeyer - Fletch Lives (1989/2019) (CD)

I haven't bought Neuland and Rune by David Helpling yet, they have to wait for January.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:26 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

my list for 2019 (in random order):

LAkeuZ || ‘OumuamuA’
Vangelis || ‘Nocturne’
Bruno Sanfilippo || ‘Pianette’
Beck || ‘Hyperspace’
Barry Hay & J.B. Meijers || ‘For You Baby’
Tangerine Dream || ‘Live at the Royal Albert Hall, London - 2nd April 1975’ (In Search of Hades)
Patrick Watson || ‘Wave’
Michael Kiwanuka || ‘Kiwanuka’
Maud Gaffney & Lavinia Meijer || ‘Still Life’
Ringo Starr || ‘What’s My Name’
Ansgar Stock || ‘Episode 1, A New Generation’
Penguin Café ||’Handfuls of Night’
Jan Akkerman || ‘Close Beauty’

https://twitter.com/emportal

cyberiad2001
Very Cool Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:58 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

My List for 2019...

TD: In search of Hades box set
Neuland
Gong box set: With Love from the Planet Gong
Barker: Utility
Benge: Field Studies
Popol Vuh: The Essential... vol.1

surprisingly retro this year... it´s the box set era!

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
qwave
Waldorfian

germany.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:29 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Sequentia Legenda: Over There
Tangerine Dream: In search of Hades (box set)
Danger in dream: Iconic
Beyond Berlin: Totem

"Das Plagiat ist vielleicht die aufrichtigste Form der Verehrung." Alfred Polgar (†1955)

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:00 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Jon » wrote:

Great album. However I'm rather surprised to find it on Your list, since when we talked about it on it's release here at the EMP, You said:

« Jon » wrote:
Somewhat disappointing, too ambient and not enough good melodies. His weakest of the 4 on Spotted Peccary.

So, did it grow on You, or were just all other albums of 2019 except those You mentioned weaker still...?

GrahamH
Even more Cool Member

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:09 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I do enjoy looking through these best releases of the year lists, particularly when I come across albums I haven't heard before.... Smile

I'm not certain I could narrow it down to a dozen or so myself.... Wink

Naus

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:07 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Reissues do not count for a year list (so no Hades) and I only put albums on that I actually bought. (So no Tool on the list, even though it's very good)

Opeth - In Cauda Venenum

Motorpsycho - The Crucible
No-Man - Love You To Bits
d’Voxx - Telegraph
Alcest - Spiritual Instinct
Thom Yorke - Anima
Lana del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell
Ian Boddy - Altair
Swallow the Sun - When A Shadow Is Forced Into The Light
Slow - VI Dantalion

Honourable mention: Concept Devices - Conceptus Fabrica (Martyn’s debut album)

Concert of the year: Ian Boddy - Awakenings 14-09-19 (It was a very close call between this one and Ian’s performance at E-live but the intimate setting of the show in Rugeley tipped the balance)

Jon

norway.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:57 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« BruecknerAmbient » wrote:
« Jon » wrote:

Great album. However I'm rather surprised to find it on Your list, since when we talked about it on it's release here at the EMP, You said:

« Jon » wrote:
Somewhat disappointing, too ambient and not enough good melodies. His weakest of the 4 on Spotted Peccary.

So, did it grow on You, or were just all other albums of 2019 except those You mentioned weaker still...?

It grew a little I guess, But the winner on my list was very clear.

And I only bought 4 new albums this year, so not the hardest competition.

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:35 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Jon » wrote:
« BruecknerAmbient » wrote:
« Jon » wrote:

Great album. However I'm rather surprised to find it on Your list(...)

It grew a little I guess, But the winner on my list was very clear.

And I only bought 4 new albums this year, so not the hardest competition.

I see! Cool The winner on my list, too, btw. (see below) Wink

So, on to my own list - as in most years I probably didn't get to listen to enough new music to form a well-informed opinion. The fracture from the flood of new releases is just to small and too much coloured by the filter of my taste and preferences, so I just may have missed "the best" (whatever that is).
That said, to me 2019 turned out to be an interesting year which even brought a couple of new discoveries and surprises. AND I nevertheless have clearly a personal favorite (which may not be a big surprise, though). So, rather than a "best of list", here's my personal "review" of this year:

Robert Rich, Tactile Ground
is not only my favorite album from 2019, but to my taste one of the best in his entire catalogue (...a catalogue consisting almost entirely of masterpieces)! I even tend to count it among my most favorite albums of all times...

Other albums that I enjoyed a lot, and which impressed me rather deeply, are...

Ashen Simian, Phantasm
LAkeuZ, Oumuamua
...by / with Nemesis' Ami Hassinnen - timeless, subgenre-transcending, mature and elegant electronica.

Panic Girl (aka Martha Bahr), Cake On Jupiter
One of several excellent female electronic musicians who I became aware of during 2019 (see below)

Aes Dana, Inks
...further proof that Vincent Villuis is one of the masters of his genre.

Zeituhr (aka Lars Tellmann), Eskapism
...wonderful retro instrumental music somewhere between Berlin School and Mike Oldfield.

Imaginery Landscape, Nothing Left Behind
I'm obviously especially biased here, but I just love my old friend HaDi Schmidt's solo work!

Speaking of being biased, I also follow what's released on Winter-Light, and while the quality level there is usually high, I think two albums of 2019 are rather outstanding in the field of dark ambient:

Abbildung, At The Gates Of Ouln
Atomine Elektrine, The Antikythera Mechanism

Although I lacked the money to purchase it and thus only got to listen to small parts of it yet, and although the music is clearly NOT from 2019, I think I also should include...

Tangerine Dream, In Search of Hades

...in this list, as the new mixes and inclusion of yet (officially) unreleased material of high quality obviously makes this set a very desirable item for any lover of Berlin School and 70s electronica in general.

Before I go on to the "surprises and discovery" section, I'd also like to mention that, as far as I perceived it, a lot of long (and "mid") time practitioners of the art of electronic music like Steve Roach and Mathias Grassow, but also Cousin Silas, Phrozenlight, Cosmic Ground, and the "new TD" (including solo albums / projects by Thorsten Quäschning & Hoshiko Yamane) - and probably dozens of others who don't spring to my mind right now - kept on releasing great music in 2019.

Two further releases that impressed me a lot - and that (to me) came as surprises of sorts - are:

Neuland, Neuland
...not so much new territory as the project name likes to suggest, but a great album containing excellent, timeless electronica. I confess I had not expected this from Peter & Paul...

Gert Emmens Project, Somewhere
...a beautiful and excellently crafted retro prog album - the surprise for me being that I was unaware that Gert a.) actually is a multi-instrumentalist and b.) that he's into this genre.

During the year, I took more interest in what was going on in the "modular synth scene" and searching for the topic on YouTube, I came across two English synth artists who impressed me a lot, plus one more who I actually became aware of here at the EM Portal:

The Rosen Corporation, State Azure and Fluxus

The same interest however - especially when watching videos of recent live performances by Suzanne Ciani (who I adore too, of course, but she's not a new discovery to me) - brought a string of excellent female synthesizer artists to my awareness, including:

Caterina Barbieri, Hélène Vogelsinger, Martha Bahr, Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith and Lisa Bella Donna.

While all of them are great artists, I guess Lisa Bella Donna really would be my favorite musical discovery of 2019 - not only is she a great synthesist, but in fact a multi-instrumentalist who seems to feel equally at home (and is equally very skilled in) various musical genres.

In the context of these new discoveries, I found (at least) three favorite albums which I only don't include into my "best of 2019" list because: they have already been released earlier!

The Rosen Corporation, Pale Fire (2018)
Lisa Bella Donna, Omnipresence (2018)
Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith & Suzanne Ciani, Sunergy (2016)

Each of them, of course, has also released great music in 2019, and sometimes even a lot of it!

The only thing I have been missing is some great release by Klaus Schulze, but You can't have it all, I guess... Wink

All in all, I can hardly agree to those people who keep saying there's no one producing good electronic music anymore today - to me, as a listener, 2019 turned out to be a great year indeed!

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2020 CBACK.de