EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Alien vs. Predator 2

sparrow
One of the Coolest Member

scotland.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:23 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Th soundtrack for AvPR aint too bad ..I still haven't been to see the movie ..might pass this time.
OfflineView user's profileSend private message    

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:55 pm    Second Movie Reply with quoteBack to top

A second movie usually is not any where as good as the first.
BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:03 pm    Re: Second Movie Reply with quoteBack to top

« jorgea » wrote:
A second movie usually is not any where as good as the first.

Wasn't the first already a rather cheap cash-in on both the original Alien and Predator (...not that Predator as such was too brilliant either)?

Laughing

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Artemi

russia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:09 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

It was more or less that. Entertaining, yes, but didn't leave a long lasting impression. In contrast to the films it has stemmed from.

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:57 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I think it's best not to take these too seriously, they're just short term SciFi & a bit of gore type entertainment, I liked some of them too.

These movies rights were owned by Film Studio as Franchises & they could employ anyone they wanted to direct sequels.

Then Comics & Games industry merged Alien vs. Predator and it was a matter of time for movie producers to start a new Franchise.

Another example is for most ongoing TV shows like Vampire diaries & I think even Game of Thrones you find several directors directors involved as if taking turns, same happened with Twilight Saga.

Film Studios fund the films and Directors are disposable to them, "difficult" ones may not even be approached.
Ironically, the same goes down the chain when Directors no longer approach difficult to manage actors which could be attitude, demands, etc. and the same goes for soundtrack composers (Vangelis Wink ) based on their past experiences...

It's a dynamic industry full of egos, cost, schedule and the Director is responsible to pull it together.

For example, I seem to remember a Riddley Scott interview saying he was not keen in continuing with Alien sequels.

He went on making many other movies some which could have used synth based scores yet he appealed always to other composers, for example I have no doubt Vangelis could have done something great for Prometheus, a score that may have elevated the film on a different plane.

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:31 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, I guess to exploit the initial success of a masterpiece was common use ever since entertainment was invented anyway (in horror, but not only there...)

(See, just for example, Frankenstein, Dracula, the Wolf Man (or werewolf), zombie, Jaws etc.)

...usually the films get worse and worse until some 40 or 50 years later an inspired (probably young) director decides to create a really dedicated new adaption which sometimes manages to top the originals, or at least makes it's own statement. For instance, I found the version of Dracula fromthe 90ies quite excellent (and better than Lugosi anyway...).

Well, and I don't take it that serious anyway... Wink

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:02 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Don't get me wrong, I saw all those movies and enjoyed some of them at the time as light entertainment but never felt the urge to see them again, like a 2001, or Blade Runner...

Alien became too gory for my taste as too many movies copied the same core theme: strange surrounding, people disappear/die and eventually we see some creature doing it all.

But recycling has been going on forever for everything, even 70's flared trousers made a return although for Ladies Only Very Happy

I must admit I prefer any today's movie with proper CG sfx to old movies, I appreciate those for what they did at the time with what they had, that's all.

But despite it all, I liked Prometheus, most think it was rubbish but for me it set the scene for the upcoming sequel.

But then I liked Waterworld too...

And as far as OST's go, there will be less and less of the composers we know involved.

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:23 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Well - 2001 and Blade Runner are timeless gems for sure Alien too, in my book at least. I just love Ripley... Wink

I think, all in all, real good movies have always been rare, like masterpieces in any field of art. Todays sfx possibilities of course make any older techniques pale and disappoint in comparison, then again an interesting, convincing plot, good acting and directing, good camera and light are still the most important ingredients for a good movie, I guess - without, it's just a show-off of special effects, which may look impressive at one moment but doesn't amount to anything worth remembering...

Then again, I have to admit that on revisiting some old favorites recently, I was a bit dissapointed - obviously they had quite impressed me as a younger person and now partly failed to live up to my memory of them. Especially the acting had seemed better to me back then. May be the case with Bram Stoker's Dracula as well. I wonder if it's sometimes not better to stick with one's memories, especially if it were good ones...

Rolling Eyes

Well, anyway...

Artemi

russia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:42 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Well said, Michael.

phaedra2008

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:40 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

But Alien/Preadator is all CG like all action movies these days.

The lack of interest in Art these days is not uncommon across the board be it music, painting, movies, fashion, etc.
The early movies era is well on the way out in the supermarkets special bins.

I can't remember when I last saw Ben Hur, Gone with the wind, Cleopatra or the puerile Louis de Funes movies I liked as a child.

But, the 2001 & 2010 Blurays are next on my watch list, perhaps this coming weekend if it's likely to be quiet Very Happy

If you are in the mood for a drama movie with no CG, just pure great acting/directing check out Troubled Water (DeUsynlige) a 2008 Norwegian film, and the organ based OST may also appeal.

BruecknerAmbient

germany.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:16 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« phaedra2008 » wrote:
But Alien/Preadator is all CG like all action movies these days.

The lack of interest in Art these days is not uncommon across the board be it music, painting, movies, fashion, etc.
The early movies era is well on the way out in the supermarkets special bins.

Sadly, yes...

« phaedra2008 » wrote:
I can't remember when I last saw Ben Hur, Gone with the wind, Cleopatra or the puerile Louis de Funes movies I liked as a child.

Louis de Funes - well, I haven't watched HIM for a long time, either... Laughing

« phaedra2008 » wrote:
If you are in the mood for a drama movie with no CG, just pure great acting/directing check out Troubled Water (DeUsynlige) a 2008 Norwegian film, and the organ based OST may also appeal.

Sounds great, I will check it out, thanks for the tip. I seem to remember the title. All in all, I prefer independent movies over Hollywood productions anyway (which doesn't mean all of them are brilliant, nor are all big productions crap - it always depends, I guess...).

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2019 CBACK.de