EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

La Tourneuse des Pages (The Page Turner)

Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:35 am    La Tourneuse des Pages (The Page Turner) Reply with quoteBack to top

Great (french) movie directed by Denis Dercourt

If you have the chance don't miss it

This is a somber and elegant film less rich in detail than My Children Are Different but more intensely focused. While My Children was a coming-of-age story with a dark look into familial musical ambitions and their toll on children, this is a flat-out psychological revenge thriller, but completely set in a musical world. In The Page Turner M

https://twitter.com/emportal

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Feb birth
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:24 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I was intested in this one. I'll have to give it a watch.

btw- there's another French movie I want to see. It's called 'La.Vie.En.Rose' and it's a movie about the life of Edith Pilaf.

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:54 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Feb birth » wrote:

btw- there's another French movie I want to see. It's called 'La.Vie.En.Rose' and it's a movie about the life of Edith Pilaf.

classical suspense

absolutely worth watching

Feb birth
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:13 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Vignoble @ Co. » wrote:
« Feb birth » wrote:

classical suspense

I watched it two nights ago. Terrific film. So many movie similar to this one take the low road and go overthetop. This film had a nice pace where her plan could be played out like an artists painting a picture.

Btw- The blonde actress with quietly stunning. Her eyes reminded me of Natalie Portman's.

Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:29 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Feb birth » wrote:
« Feb birth » wrote:

classical suspense

I watched it two nights ago. Terrific film. So many movie similar to this one take the low road and go overthetop. This film had a nice pace where her plan could be played out like an artists painting a picture.

Btw- The blonde actress with quietly stunning. Her eyes reminded me of Natalie Portman's.

if you enjoyed "La Tourneuse" I can recommend another (french) movie in the same genre : "Harry un ami qui vous veut du bien" (2000)

excellent piece of entertainment in the cinema of menace genre. Ordinary guy Michel (Laurent Lucas), hot and bothered while taking his family on a summer vacation, meets up with Harry, a former schoolfriend (Sergi Lopez), who he doesn't remember, and who seems to be both rich and very solicitous of his welfare. When the family car breaks down, Harry buys them a new four-wheel drive (it seems that even the French have not escaped the sports utility craze). Clearly, there is something not healthy about Harry's interest but it takes a while for the real story to emerge, and there are some carefully observed and funny moments on the way.

It has been pointed out, and there are certainly signs, that Harry can be seen as the embodiment of some of Michel's darker feelings, particularly the feeling that the everyday demands of family life and work have prevented him from developing his talent as a writer. Michel also has a certain amount of resentment towards his parents, but the character of Harry grossly overreacts to Michel's `enemies' and in the end, of course it is Harry, the psychotic in all of us, who has to go.

The immediacy of the camera work puts us right in the picture, heightening the tension. There are a couple of scenes inside cars being driven on narrow mountain roads at night as scary as anything Hitchcock (obviously an influence on first-time director Dominik Moll) attempted, and the nearly 2 hours of running time passes very quickly. Great entertainment.

Feb birth
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:31 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Feb birth » wrote:
« Feb birth » wrote:

classical suspense

if you enjoyed "La Tourneuse" I can recommend another (french) movie in the same genre : "Harry un ami qui vous veut du bien" (2000)

excellent piece of entertainment in the cinema of menace genre. Ordinary guy Michel (Laurent Lucas), hot and bothered while taking his family on a summer vacation, meets up with Harry, a former schoolfriend (Sergi Lopez), who he doesn't remember, and who seems to be both rich and very solicitous of his welfare. When the family car breaks down, Harry buys them a new four-wheel drive (it seems that even the French have not escaped the sports utility craze). Clearly, there is something not healthy about Harry's interest but it takes a while for the real story to emerge, and there are some carefully observed and funny moments on the way.

It has been pointed out, and there are certainly signs, that Harry can be seen as the embodiment of some of Michel's darker feelings, particularly the feeling that the everyday demands of family life and work have prevented him from developing his talent as a writer. Michel also has a certain amount of resentment towards his parents, but the character of Harry grossly overreacts to Michel's `enemies' and in the end, of course it is Harry, the psychotic in all of us, who has to go.

The immediacy of the camera work puts us right in the picture, heightening the tension. There are a couple of scenes inside cars being driven on narrow mountain roads at night as scary as anything Hitchcock (obviously an influence on first-time director Dominik Moll) attempted, and the nearly 2 hours of running time passes very quickly. Great entertainment.

I already started looking for it. It may prove harder to find. But I'm sure I'll watch it soon. Thanks for the recommendation.

24db
One of the Coolest Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:17 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

you could probably add Lemming to that list as well

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Artemi

russia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:50 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« 24db » wrote:
you could probably add Lemming to that list as well

Lemming is a nice one.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
24db

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:52 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

yeah, it was good JMJ's ex missus was scarey as well Very Happy

Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:33 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« 24db » wrote:
yeah, it was good JMJ's ex missus was scarey as well Very Happy

don't know this one

tell us a bit more about it Wink

24db

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:36 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

B

Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:41 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« 24db » wrote:
B

24db

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:45 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Dominik Moll

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0415932/

Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:50 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« 24db » wrote:

Ok this explains the releation between the two movies

'Harry' is rather weird too

Last edited by Vignoble @ Co. on Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

24db

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:06 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I'll have to check that one out!

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2019 CBACK.de