EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Films you saw recently

Feb birth
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:11 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Jon » wrote:
Well, I am very much into film music so I don't agree that the best film music is the one you don't hear. Cool

Paul Haslinger ex-Tangerine Dream wrote some catchy stuff for The Girl Next Door including a rip-off of TD's Risky Business music.

American Gangster may have included much period music, but I have heard lots of good stuff about Marc Streitenfeld's score too. The only other film score he has done is Ridley Scott's A Good Year, so he has really got a sudden breakthrough. He has been an assistent for Hans Zimmer for years though.

I like good music in films but most of the time I look at it as part of the movie. I rarely go out and buy a soundtrack. There are exceptions but those are usually from older films. Popul Vuh from Herzog's films and stuff like that.
I don't think that the music should be a distraction in a film. They should "melt" together. But there's different types of films with very different music so it's a tough thing to talk about or describe.
I'll look further into the names you mentioned and will pay attention is/when I see those flicks again. Those are definitely 3 films I would watch again.

ps. There was one (older) film I saw for the first time recently where the music DID catch my ear. It was a very cool (imo) movie called 'The Angel Levine' (1970). I looked up who did the music and found it to be Zdenek Liska. Now I'm going to probably but the dvd of the movie and also if I can find another movie he scored. It's an old sc-fi flim that has be re-released in it's original form. I'll paste some info below I had copied:

http://filmjournal.net/czech/category/composers/liska-zdenek/
Icarus XB-1 / Voyage to the End of the Universe

IKARIE XB 1 (1963)

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
Starwalker
One of the Coolest Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:51 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I am Legend, great remake of the Charlton Heston movie Omega Man, but very different.

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
Feb birth
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:12 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« stingray64 » wrote:
I am Legend, great remake of the Charlton Heston movie Omega Man, but very different.

I saw it 4 days ago. I thought it was a pretty cool/good flick.
You're right, it was (loosely?) based on Omega Man but I could see how some people wouldn't realize it was a remake. Even if they'd seen O.M. before, I Am Legend was updated so much it was hardly the same story. Omega Man was one of my fav. movies as a kid but I haven't seen it in years. That'll be a good one to download and watch too.

Ron

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:36 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« stingray64 » wrote:

I like that movie a lot but ever since bowling for Colombine I have trouble looking at C.H> without the phrase "From my dead hands" comes to mind.

I know I should not Judge but it is hard for me personal to look at him and not think about this.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Ron

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:40 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Harry Potter 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 until now with the kids in Dutch language. (Each evening one film)
And tonight part 5.

Part 3 is still my favorite one (the prisoner of askaban) of them all, it is the darkest and meanest.
I love it, by the way so do the kids Smile

Soundwave
Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:30 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Scanner Darkly - Adapted from a Philip K Dick story and is embellished with an interesting visual technique which I'm told is stolen from some other independent film. Worth a watch but a little confusing at times.

Blade Runner; Final Cut - This classic never looked so good and with a little extra gore and little continuity clean ups. I haven't got all the way through the extras yet but so far there's not a mention of the big 'V'.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
BillBinkelman
Very Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:49 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

We watched the new political-themed thriller/action movie The Kingdom with Jamie Foxx, Jennifer Garner and Chris Cooper. I don't think any one who is not American will like it much as it's centered on the US's reaction to a terrorist attack in Saudi Arabia. It's not that it's a flag-waving piece of propaganda, but I think it makes us look...well...it's probably realistic in how it makes us look. I dunno. It was a well made film and much more drama than action, to be truthful. The final 20 minute or so shoot-out is "exciting" but you feel kinda funny being excited by it since it's so relevant to what's actually going on. Anyway, if you enjoyed Black Hawk Down you will probably like this one, although it is much less violent and has less action. As always, Jamie Foxx is very good, as is Chris Cooper, who is one of my favoritecharacter actors.

We also watched an older film which I got on DVD for Christmas, Jeremiah Johnson, a classic western film about mountain men in the American frontier (the Rocky Mountains). Beautiful scenery, a great Aaron Copeland-ish soundtrack and VERY well written and performed by all the actors (esp. the star, Robert Redford). Presented a VERY balanced view of the Native Americans WAY before Dances With Wolves did.

RemoteViewing81

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:34 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

LIVE FREE or DIE HARD - PPV

Good action from Start to Finish. Cool

Naus

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:25 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Soundwave » wrote:
Scanner Darkly - Adapted from a Philip K Dick story and is embellished with an interesting visual technique which I'm told is stolen from some other independent film. Worth a watch but a little confusing at times.

I just watched this too, very interesting but indeed confusing. It seems it is the most literal adaption of any Philip K Dick's stories, and it shows, it has not been 'dumbed down' for a general audience like for example Total Recall (which was great fun anyway though)

« Soundwave » wrote:

Blade Runner; Final Cut - This classic never looked so good and with a little extra gore and little continuity clean ups. I haven't got all the way through the extras yet but so far there's not a mention of the big 'V'.

Yeah it looked stunning, so clear and fresh, almost like it was only made this year! My favorite movie of all time has gotten even better.
Havent got time for the extras yet but looking forward to go through the 3 dvd's Smile

Sonic Steve
Cool Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:47 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Enjoyed, The Illustionist, the ending was great. Philip Glass did the soundtrack, his music added, but didn't stand out.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailMSN Messenger    
Feb birth
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:02 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Sonic Steve » wrote:
Enjoyed, The Illustionist, the ending was great. Philip Glass did the soundtrack, his music added, but didn't stand out.

Pretty good movie. What was the other movie about "magic" that came out about the same time? I think I liked it better.

Feb birth
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:03 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Over the last 2 1/2 weeks I saw these. Some real gems and some not so good.

Day Zero
Bringing Out The Dead
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
The Invasion
I Am Legend
Poor Boy's Game
Gone Baby Gone
National Treasure II
Death Sentence
Simon Says
Charlie Wilson's War
The Brave One
Atonement
No Land For Old Men
Wristcutters: A Love Story

Feb birth
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:03 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« RemoteViewing81 » wrote:
LIVE FREE or DIE HARD - PPV

Good action from Start to Finish. Cool

It was ok for a big budget action flick. Nothing to write home about though.

Feb birth
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:06 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« BillBinkelman » wrote:
We watched the new political-themed thriller/action movie The Kingdom with Jamie Foxx, Jennifer Garner and Chris Cooper. I don't think any one who is not American will like it much as it's centered on the US's reaction to a terrorist attack in Saudi Arabia. It's not that it's a flag-waving piece of propaganda, but I think it makes us look...well...it's probably realistic in how it makes us look. I dunno. It was a well made film and much more drama than action, to be truthful. The final 20 minute or so shoot-out is "exciting" but you feel kinda funny being excited by it since it's so relevant to what's actually going on. Anyway, if you enjoyed Black Hawk Down you will probably like this one, although it is much less violent and has less action. As always, Jamie Foxx is very good, as is Chris Cooper, who is one of my favoritecharacter actors.

We also watched an older film which I got on DVD for Christmas, Jeremiah Johnson, a classic western film about mountain men in the American frontier (the Rocky Mountains). Beautiful scenery, a great Aaron Copeland-ish soundtrack and VERY well written and performed by all the actors (esp. the star, Robert Redford). Presented a VERY balanced view of the Native Americans WAY before Dances With Wolves did.

It was better than I expected it to me. Though I wasn't expected too much from a big "Hollywood" production concerning the subject.

I will recommend a movie called 'The Situation' if you want a more realistic film about the (screwed up) situation over in Iraq.

RemoteViewing81

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:21 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Feb birth » wrote:
Over the last 2 1/2 weeks I saw these. Some real gems and some not so good.

Day Zero
Bringing Out The Dead
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
The Invasion
I Am Legend
Poor Boy's Game
Gone Baby Gone
National Treasure II
Death Sentence
Simon Says
Charlie Wilson's War
The Brave One