EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Gear Acquisition Syndrome strikes

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:24 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« hhh » wrote:
Just got a Dave Smith Instruments Prophet 12 from Sweetwater. Not sure whose fault it was, but a three-thousand dollar synth should never be dropped off at an address without a signature. They even delivered it to the wrong address (my home address, instead of my work address - Sweetwater is claiming a Paypal snafu). It sat on my front porch all afternoon. No signature was required. Unbelievable.

Fortunately, it all worked out and nothing bad happened. The Prophet 12 is beyond incredible.

United Parcel Smashers?

Sounds suspiciously like the Men in Shit-Brown Suits...

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
hhh
Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:54 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Don't think it was any fault of Fed Ex, as signature requirements and shipping addresses are arranged by the sender. Sweetwater did, in fact, assume responsibility for the mistake.

Fed Ex delivered everything in perfect condition. No damage to any items whatsoever. Both Fed Ex and UPS have been quite good to me over the years. Haven't had any problems from either of them in many years. I guess I'm lucky or something. Of course, if I called them the names you used, my guess is that my good fortune would likely end.

Anyway, I'm way off-topic here.

Thinking seriously about a DSI Pro Two down the road a bit. Smith has returned with a vengeance and I am grateful for his passion. It definitely shows in his work.

hhh

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
Qrazy Synth Man
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:05 pm    ARP Odyssey Rev. 2 by KORG Reply with quoteBack to top

My ARP Odyssey arrived 2 hours ago and I just finished getting reacquainted.

I chose the Rev. 2 because I remembered the plastic on my original Black & Orange version started to split in half over time.

The scaled down keyboard is not so bad but I do have it hooked up via MIDI with and Akai MPK49 controller with full keys. I purchased a male MIDI to 2 female MIDI -Y- adapter for $3.99 USD on amazon.com that allows me to control my Moog Voyager REM, a Waldorf Pulse & Pulse Plus with the Odyssey with incredible results.

hhh
Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:24 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

So, Qrazy, you say it's a Rev2, then you're referring not to an original ARP Odyssey, but the new Korg remake, yeah?
Hint: Keep it covered when not in use or you'll never get that thing clean. Those slider slots are dust magnets.
Beautiful instrument with a beautiful sound. Glad you're enjoying it. Smile

-hhh

Qrazy Synth Man
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:44 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, the Rev. 2 along with the White version as the first Odyssey and the Black & Orange which was the last Odyssey are from Korg with the help and supervision of David Friend, former President of ARP Instruments and part developer of the original ARP Odyssey.

The Odyssey also comes with a nice travel case!

I had both the Black & Gold and Black & Orange original Odysseys and I am well aware of the slider issues.

At 62 I feel good about the sliders outlasting me Laughing

hhh
Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:03 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Hahaha, sweet, good to know.
I always wanted a 2600, but never had the budget for one. Now that I have the budget, I'm more interested in the more stable modern synths on the market. I have a Moog Prodigy whose oscillators will, if you tilt your head the wrong way, drift out of tune and require the laborious process of recalibrating them. I'm sure your new Odyssey possesses none of these idiosynchratic annoyances.

Thanks for sharing! Awesome little synth. Smile

hhh

dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:29 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« hhh » wrote:
[...] I have a Moog Prodigy whose oscillators will, if you tilt your head the wrong way, drift out of tune and require the laborious process of recalibrating them. [...]

Your Prodigy seems to have some serious issue then (power supply, at a guess). Mine tends to be a lot less stable than my Mini Moog but after some ten minutes its tuning is rock-solid.

Stephen

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Qrazy Synth Man
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:07 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

There are some things we'd like to buy but our budgets sometimes stand in the way.

Then there are times we buy things we really don't need and ignore our budget and buy it anyway.

I already have a Memotron Keyboard and Memotron Rack so why I need to buy the "new" Memotron M2D?

The answer is simple.

Everyone here likes when "new" products hit the market, especially when there are cool features like the M2D offers.

I am happy right now but buyer's remorse will hit me when my credit card statement arrives Sad

Qrazy Synth Man
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:37 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Many times we find ourselves rearranging the studio to find the best spot to put it.

When I bought the ARP Odyssey by Korg I just placed it on a stand that actually blocked the entrance and I had to crawl on my hands and knees to get behind my keyboards Embarassed

Now, everything is back to "normal" Question

Qrazy Synth Man
Even more Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:48 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

... and one more for the road

plus a shot of Room II for guest musicians

I know I've said it before that this will be my last purchase but I honestly believe[b][u] this IS my last "new" toy![/u][/b]

analoguekid
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:12 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Very cool looking set up Steve Smile
HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail    
Eric G
Even more Cool Member

sweden.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:45 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Two awesome Rolands:

JP8
JD800

OMG, this was one year ago, sorry for the delay.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Alvaro
One of the Coolest Member

spain.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:01 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I've never had the opportunity to play a JP8, but I owned a JD800 some years ago and it's a truly amazing machine.

Congratulations Smile

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Parallel Worlds

greece.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:37 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

after many years..... i am back in this thread:

lately got few modules for my eurorack modular:
ALM Akemie's Castle:

Noise Engineering Basimilus Iteritas Alter:

Cursus Iteritas:

and Numeric Repetitor:

www.dohkonul-records.com

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteYahoo Messenger    
Parallel Worlds

greece.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:16 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

this new module, a real tape-echo module, called Replicator was added to the eurorack modular wall: Image
www.dohkonul-records.com

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteYahoo Messenger    

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2020 CBACK.de