EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Serial, parallel, or random track composition?

treibklang
One of the Coolest Member

germany.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:13 pm    Serial, parallel, or random track composition? Reply with quoteBack to top

Every now and then, when sitting in front of my sequencer/keyboard, I get stuck with a piece, fiddling around with sounds that don't please my needs and finally giving up.
How do you compose tracks? One after the other? Several tracks in parallel, just for whichever you have an idea? Or randomly continuing to work one of multiple tracks under construction? Do you have any hints on how to overcome a blockage on a track?
Please share. Smile

Cheers,
Stefan

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
terjewi
Cool Member

norway.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:12 pm    Re: Serial, parallel, or random track composition? Reply with quoteBack to top

« treibklang » wrote:
How do you compose tracks?

I often work on several projects simultaneously. If I grow tired on one of them, I just leave it for something else, and come back to it another day.

treibklang
One of the Coolest Member

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:26 am    Re: Serial, parallel, or random track composition? Reply with quoteBack to top

« terjewi » wrote:
I often work on several projects simultaneously. If I grow tired on one of them, I just leave it for something else, and come back to it another day.

So you find it easy to switch between those projects and get the right feeling for it? Does the change have influence on working on the project you changed to?

terjewi
Cool Member

norway.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:36 pm    Re: Serial, parallel, or random track composition? Reply with quoteBack to top

« treibklang » wrote:
« terjewi » wrote:

So you find it easy to switch between those projects and get the right feeling for it? Does the change have influence on working on the project you changed to?

Yes, no problem to switch between projects. And is they influence each other, it probably means that it gives the project a much needed push.

Mac of BIOnighT
Even more Cool Member

italy.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:56 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Like terjewi, I work on several projects at the same time. Occasionally I may start and finish a whole album with no break and distractions, but mostly I work on this and that, and yes, the various works influence each other.

I think, though, that this kind of choice depends on one's character. I mean, my mood changes very often depending on whether I had a good or a bad day, on the weather (sunny or rainy makes a heck of a lot of difference on my mood), on the stimuli I get (a documentary on something, a story somebody tells me, something from my past I find accidentally, and so on, all things that can trigger a need to say something in music).
For people who are more "stable" in terms of mood and emotions switching from one project to another might be more difficult or be perceived as a waste of time and concentration, I think...

As to getting stuck (which happens to everybody, I'm afraid...) a break would be the most obvious answer, but sometimes it may be useful to change approach completely (as opposed to going down the established paths we all create for ourselves when working), or change the conditions of the room we work in... Yes, I know this sounds silly, but try making the room colder, or hotter, or make yourself hungry, or thirsty, don't go to the bathroom, change the environment and/or your condition and then go back to where you got stuck: the brain will work differently...

In general, though, my personal opinion is that not becoming obsessed with a track is the best thing to do; just leave it there for a while and go back to it after some time when you've taken in some new stimuli, if it doesn't come out, it's because it's not the right time Smile

Just my personal view, I'd be very interested in reading what others do! Smile

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2019 CBACK.de