EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

The War on Loudness

René

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:57 pm    The War on Loudness Reply with quoteBack to top

This is an issue which is rising in discussion like a "do" or "don't". I am not a mastering engineer, but it's interesting to follow. Here's an article on the Rolling Stone website: http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/17777619/the_death_of_high_fidelity

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

pjtmusic
One of the Coolest Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:48 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I normalise to 0db and that's it. The only thing I compress is the drum kit to get a punchier sound. So my CD's are probably quieter than those with dynamic range compression but if that means it don't stand out so be it. I'd rather have the dynamic range.

Time & Motion Wav.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
Vietgrove
Very Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:02 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

http://www.stylusmagazine.com/articles/weekly_article/imperfect-sound-forever.htm

^ this is the best thing I've read on this issue.

It's terrible (overlimiting) it makes music sound like muzak.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM Address    
dronescape
musical thief & thoroughly bad guy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:41 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Normalizing to zero dB is absolutely okay, maybe applying some Waves L2 to it if it

HiddenView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
René

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:32 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Waves L2/L3 is a very expensive plugin.
dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:56 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

[quote:d9e841775c="Ren

Ron

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:58 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
[quote:0d3425d5f3="Ren
OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Ron

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:59 pm    Re: The War on Loudness Reply with quoteBack to top

[quote:5f3d9f5b57="Ren
dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:19 am    Re: The War on Loudness Reply with quoteBack to top

« Ron » wrote:
[quote:c856a88cb1="Ren

Jakub
Cool Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:34 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Stephen, you're partly right but remember that not every listener has superb high-class sound system or direct, flat-characteristic monitoring system at home. IMHO even if it's not folky dance music but something that require more attention from listener, mastering should serve as a process ensuring the best sound reproduction both on mid-class hi-fi set and high-end sets. It's also a compromise between loudness and dynamics. Personally I hate flat-mastered records with every sound on maximum level almost like the sound on TV-spots. But from the other hand I don't like changing volume constantly during listenng - it deconcentrates me Smile.
solitaryzen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:26 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Polaris » wrote:
Stephen, you're partly right but remember that not every listener has superb high-class sound system or direct, flat-characteristic monitoring system at home. IMHO even if it's not folky dance music but something that require more attention from listener, mastering should serve as a process ensuring the best sound reproduction both on mid-class hi-fi set and high-end sets. It's also a compromise between loudness and dynamics. Personally I hate flat-mastered records with every sound on maximum level almost like the sound on TV-spots. But from the other hand I don't like changing volume constantly during listenng - it deconcentrates me Smile.

Yes, there is definitely some room for a happy compromise. In the end, it really depends on the nature of the recordings.

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:47 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Polaris » wrote:
Stephen, you're partly right but remember that not every listener has superb high-class sound system or direct, flat-characteristic monitoring system at home. IMHO even if it's not folky dance music but something that require more attention from listener, mastering should serve as a process ensuring the best sound reproduction both on mid-class hi-fi set and high-end sets.

This is exactly what a good mastering job should accomplish: It should sound good on any equipment. That

Didymos
Cool Member

finland.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:48 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« dronescape » wrote:
[quote:a5ab046352="Ren
René

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:10 pm    Re: The War on Loudness Reply with quoteBack to top

« Ron » wrote:
[quote:9704524a63="Ren
dronescape

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:51 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

You just need to check a visual display of both the uncompressed and the compressed / maximised audio files in Wavelab or ProTools. It

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2020 CBACK.de