EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Looking for music

Cosmosis

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:56 pm    Looking for music Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi, maybe some of you have heard from me before,

I am 21, from Texas and am a lifelong synth music fan, I was first introduced to it since before I can remember when I was a young child by my father, who tape-recorded music off of various radio programs just around the time there was alot of great stuff being produced, on Hearts of Space, Echoes, and a few other programs that are no longer around. He recorded it onto cassette tapes and played them in the house and on long car rides throughout my childhood, and I grew up in awe of music by artists such as Michael Hoenig, Michael Stearns, Ray Lynch, and Constance Demby. However of all the 50 or more tapes he recorded full of space, synth, electronic, ambient, modernistic, whatever-you-call-it music played on the radio from the mid-1980s to around 1996, it was all unidentified at the time, as he did not bother to record the radio announcers naming the music, and I have had to slowly search for it all over the internet to identify it and buy the cd albums of it. The tapes now are very old and fading fast and I need to find the remaining favorites quickly before they are lost for good.

Some of the still unidentified music is among the most wonderful electroambient space music I have ever heard, and yet for all my searching online I haven't been able to find out who it's by. I'm perplexed as to how such excellent music could be so obscure and in my diligent searching I have probably annoyed alot of people, from radio program producers such as John Diliberto to djs, artists themselves, radio program people and other synth music afficionados whom I have emailed and tried to ask for help from by seeing if they could possibly identify and find some of my favorite music in the last resort manner I can think of doing so... microphone recording the unknown music off the tapes into crude, terrible quality mp3s and showing them to whomever I hope may recognize it. Yeah, perhaps a bit shoddy, but what else can I do? Not like I can describe its sound in words, and I have no other title of identification to go by but the music...

Thus to some it may seem like I'm trying to spam or elicit links and files or things for some devious purpose, but by all means I intend no perturbance, solicitation or annoyance whatsoever, this is all in an attempt to find this treasured music that has throughout my life remained a beautiful mystery. I have tried talking to many people and gone to many places with little result and with most people, even people such as Stephen Hill himself, were unable to recognize most of the mp3 recordings. However one good synth friend suggested this place, saying there were many experts on synth music who go way back to this golden era I'm generally looking for music from, around the 80s and early 90's, from Europe and other hotspots of origin for much of this music.

So as a great spacemusic fan in pursuit of treasured music I have never before identified or heard in its full cd quality, I come seeking the answers.

Please, forum managers and music aficionados interested in helping me and such, let me know what is a good way I can show some of these mystery mp3s here in a way that they can be easily and safely transferred and listened to for identifying, let me know what forum and such would that sort of thing be appropriate in.

Brenden Garrett

OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
bewoest
One of the Coolest Member

lithuania.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:57 pm    Re: Looking for music Reply with quoteBack to top

Although I can understand very much that you finally like to find out what it was all about the music you got to know by your father (what a nice story, by the way!), but I also would suggest to have a look at all the new music which is constantly produced and released by so many talented musicians.

You shouldn't stop with the music you already know. There is already so much more grown up, and there is so much more to explore, I can assure you that! Wink

BillBinkelman
Very Cool Member

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:13 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I just want to offer my support for Brenden. I've been in correspondence with him over the last year and he is sincere and legit about this quest. I've done my best and have identified about 5 of his mystery tracks over the past year, but lots of these songs sound like stuff that many of you know about, not me. I'm more a new age and ambient guy and lots of this is closer to EM/synth-pop stuff. So I suggested he solicit help here. Consider this an endorsement from me. He's on the level with this.

And, on a personal note, I think some of you, if you're like me, can sympathize. I heard a track on an old Hearts and Space show and it took me SEVEN years to finally track down the cassette it was on (which I only did when Constance Demby heard about my inquiry and emailed me with contact info for the artist himself - it was an album called Breeze at Dawn by Stephen Coughlin, if you're curious.

Anyway, as I say, if you can help the guy out, he'd appreciate it.

Adios.

Bill Binkelman

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Russell Storey
Even more Cool Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:34 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

The search i remember was i went to see the wall film by pink floyd so that would have been about 1980 and the promo film played before the movie was something on surfing. The music was great and the credits said Vangelis so at least i had a name to go buy i went out and bought anything by vangelis (not a bad thing)without success quite a few years later it was released on the themes album (the bladerunner one with the big drums) and of course a few years later the official bladerunner album was released.
Vignoble @ Co.
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:07 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Welcome Brenden and nice to see that even the younger generation appreciates the music of the old days Wink

You are one of the youngest members here around and therefore very interesting to read your thoughts and background. There are certainly people who will be able to asist you and if you need help to upload a couple of your missing tracks feel free and let me know. I also would like to invite you to check our Virtual Jukebox containing 190+ tracks composed and realised by Portal members only. This will give you a nice impression of what the musicians on this forum are capable of.

speak to you soon and hope you will enjoy EMP

https://twitter.com/emportal

RemoteViewing81

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:16 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

You might want to check the HOS archive. http://www.hos.com/

Good luck with your search..

Cosmosis

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:31 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the positive feedback and support... If you would like to take a go at trying to identify any of these tunes I actually have a rather large list of mp3 recordings I have already uploaded at megaupload.com. Below I will list all of their url addresses. Just copy and paste them in your browser to go to each of them. The titles I gave them are just nicknames I refer to the unidentified songs by. If you need help figuring out how to download them you have to put in the three-letter code they give you on the screen and enter it in the text box, then it will let you access the file, click to download it, then it's just a matter of playing the file on a media player program.

Here they are:

"great bells and chorus of heavenly bodies"
"Bells and Slap Bass"
"ancient nostalgic guitar music"
"hari seldon's epiphany"
"music for the optimistic 80's go-getter"
"suspenseful jive"
"gloomy streetcorner"
"a vision of the future"
"jacked up robot"
"techno bang-fest"
"music of the bitter ghosts"
"mysterious sparklies"
"music of the forlorn past"
"outback heatstroke"

...I know it's alot, but anyone who can try and identify some of them would be hugely appreciated... Thanks!

Brenden Garrett

Cosmosis

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:46 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

so... yeah it's all right there in the post above this one... anyone wanna hear? Bells and slap bass, that's a great song, one of my all time favorites, Gosh I wish I knew what it was...
Pim

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:48 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

"a vision of the future-- fat people and rocket cars"
"jacked up robot"
are both from the CD The Equalizer & Other Cliffhangers by Stewart Copeland.
They are "Screaming Lord Cole and The Commanches" and "The Equalizer Busy Equalizing", respectively.

Those are the only two I know for certain. Some others sound familiar though...

HiddenView user's profileSend private message    
Cosmosis

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:39 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi,

me again, I put some files up to listen to awhile back but got little response and many said the files were too hard to access and too much of a hassle to bother listening to. So I have now posted them all up on youtube, on this channel:

http://www.youtube.com/centrosphere

please have a listen, check out the music 'videos' and see if anything rings a bell!

BTW, thank you SOOO much Pim!

Best of luck everyone...

redphil

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:30 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Had a listen but don't recognise any of them, sorry. You may have more luck with the wider audience of youtube.

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Cosmosis

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:41 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey!!! I just discovered another one of my mystery recordings... the one I called 'beautiful flute music' turns out to be Ili'Ili by Brad White and Pierre Grills off their album 'Voyage'.

Voyage is an excellent cd with lots of great soothing and beautiful panpipe music on it, several other songs on that album are also ones I've been searching for. I highly recommend it to others.

Seeker_UK
Even more Cool Member

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:06 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Posted elsewhere on this forum....

"Hoot!" is the track "Syn-Code A" from Software's CD "Syn-Code"

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
mikulem

czechrepublic.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:04 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi,
the "music of the bitter ghosts" is the track "Forward" from Bernard Xolotl "Mexecho" album.

Cosmosis

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:39 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

THANK YOU Mikulem, I love those tracks! I am so glad to have them now on cd...

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2020 CBACK.de