EMPortal.info Forum Index The Gateway to Electronic Music
Navigation  •   Portal  •   Forum  •   Profile  •   Search  •   SmartFeed  •   Register  •   Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

What soundcard are you using? PCI, Firewire or USB?

René

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:26 pm    What soundcard are you using? PCI, Firewire or USB? Reply with quoteBack to top

I use the MOTU 828mkII firewire. First I wanted to buy the Digirack 002, but found that too expensive.
ambientlive
One of the Coolest Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:29 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

For years I used an OpCode SonicPort usb card,
then last year I got a Behringer UCA-202

Both wonderful cards, though the Behringer cost 1/13 of the price of the Opcode Rolling Eyes that's one-thirteeenth !!

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
Ron

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:17 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

motu 2408 for the studio
NI Kore for live
RME for the mastering PC

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website    
Dirk
Even more Cool Member

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:51 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

M-Audio Audiophile 24/192
OfflineView user's profileSend private message    
M@kz Delissen
Obscurist

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:40 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

TerraTec EWS88/MT

Old fashioned PCI card, but with great stability, and very good sound afaIc.

Plus I like the 8in-8out-midi in/out breakout box that comes with it.

Obscurist

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:13 am    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« ambientlive » wrote:
For years I used an OpCode SonicPort usb card,
then last year I got a Behringer UCA-202

Both wonderful cards, though the Behringer cost 1/13 of the price of the Opcode Rolling Eyes that's one-thirteeenth !!

Does it sound any good? A friend of mine is looking for an easy2use but not too expensive music-interface solution for his laptop, and the Behringer is cheap as chips...

I tried to look up some specs, but all I could find is that it's a USB1.1 interface (is that fast enough?) and some S/N numbers that look decent but not spectacular.

But hey, over here in The Netherlands it will cost you around 40 euros (which is approx. 26 pounds - who's complaining about increasing prices now!)

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:00 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

The Behringer is to speal in Dutch words BAGGER.
Better pay a bit more for an EMU/ESI/MAUDIO

René

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:30 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Ron » wrote:

I thought: Teringer Wink

Ron

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:56 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« renevanderwouden » wrote:
« Ron » wrote:

I thought: Teringer Wink

Well it is ok for the price (Like my VP550 Smile but you pay what you get and if you don't hear the difference you need better monitors!!
At this moment there is a flood of mediocre even bad to very bad recordings in the EM scene that does more harm then good.
Hads of to you Rene for choosing for quality before cheapness.

mind you this remark does not apply to people who just want to make music for fun and don't release it. It is aimed at artist with no notion even no idea or don't care about bad sound.

M@kz Delissen
Obscurist

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:53 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

« Ron » wrote:

Hm, just what I had not hoped for... This must be one of those "too cheap to be true" items that create a lot of buzz initially, but fail to produce enough quality to gather legendary status...

I think the bottleneck with these cheapo-interfaces is the A/D quality (even more than D/A quality) and the overall quality of the electronic components that does not measure up to what you should be able to expect from modern gear.

In my experience, most stuff by Behringer is just as good as the money you pay for it, and since it is mostly small amounts, it looks like you can also expect small quality. One large exception that I know of from personal experience is their incredible B-2 pro condenser mic. Although mics are definitely a matter of taste, I find this one quite unbeatable in it's class and price-range. Their tubed mic-preamp is not bad either (the rack-mount version I mean). Not very quiet, but with a definite sound-of-it's-own. Exchange the standard factory tubes for something decent and you're in business...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:32 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

Just as Ron said: if you want to distribute your music, you should never save money on good audio-devices. Offcourse you don't have to buy the whole Digidesign System (if I had the money I would), but cheap stuff will betray your music more than you ever want too.

I started with computer-recording at the end of 2002 with a ESI Waveterminal 192X of EUR 379,00. That was a lot of money for a card and didn't regret it. I sold it for EUR 90,00 last December. Now I have the MOTU which has an excellent MIDI-interface too. If you organize your environment in your DAW, you don't need more.

And with a good audio-card, your vst-au-dxi sounds better too, so you don't have to use the cheaper efx anymore. So I sold that too. Though I am curious of latest Lexicon stuff (not the MX200/400).

You can do some excellent post-processing.

Same counts for cables. You can buy the cheapest of EUR 3-5 each, but you will be surprised if you would buy a cable of EUR 25,00.

ambientlive

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:49 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

The Behringer was 19 GBP

I use it for live work because it's small and light and fits in the Shuttle case, and also if I lose it or it gets stolen, it's no great loss.

I use the OpCode for 'serious' work, that cost me 250 GBP and is in a steel case.

You actually only need a decent s/card if you are digitising a signal from a mixer etc, after that it's all in the digital domain so you are not actually using your s/card for anything more than monitoring, therefore quality is not important since the speakers are way worse in s/n, thd, etc etc.

Regarding the USB 1.1 question, it is fine for 2 channels of audio and a midi, but not more, you need to go to USB 2.0 or firewire to get more channels (or more USB 1.1 devices, which is cheaper, but check that the interface in your PC is actually separate ports and not just 4 sockets joined together, if you go this way)

OfflineView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website    
M@kz Delissen
Obscurist

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:07 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

For live work it will not make a great difference when you use a cheapling like the Behringer, and the "easy to carry and not dramatic when stolen" argument is perfectly valid, I think...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:18 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

For live-events I just use a portable old Sharp Minidisc. I don't think a computer should be on stage at all if you don't need it.

Maybe in the future I consider a 2nd hand Roland VS-880

Ron

netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:24 pm    (No subject) Reply with quoteBack to top

I just got a laptop and going to use a Tscam US122 card which is quit good for all purposed live events. Especially because I want to get starting to use VST synths live.

Jump to:   

Show permissions

© 2007-2019 EMPortal.info
Original logo design by Kimmo Heikkilä

CrackerTracker © 2004 - 2019 CBACK.de